Used 2009 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

First Time Accord Owner (EX-L)
By car_nut2

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm a car afficionado, so I notice a lot of details. The pluses include great reliability (no probs after 57K), beautiful driveline (acceleration and smoothline) with the upline 189 HP EX-L engine, paint and leather holding up well, first Accord that had enough styling that I would consider getting one. The bad are EXCESSIVE body roll--I came from a sports sedan and in the Honda you simply cannot go around corner fast, it's like riding in a tall SUV. Excessive buttons--I still haven't changed the clock for daylight savings as I'm sick of opening the manual to learn the buttons for everything, rear end styling is droopy (front and side much nicer), ROAD NOISE, lack of any interior luxury.

Upline 189 HP 4 cylinder in EX-L, driveline (interaction of engine and tranny), reliability perfect after 56K (great job Honda), fuel economy, best exterior styling ever for an Accord by far (except of course the '13s which are improved even more), outward visibility, dealership experience has been positive (other than wanting to do excessive fluid changes), original price was a bargain compared to the sports sedan category I'm used to.

Add noise insulation, mount battery and other parts LOWER so the thing doesn't feel like it will tip over when going around a corner (I was amazed how poorly it handles after I bought it), quality of interior leather rather middle of the road (definitely not luxury quality), A/C only average so please make more powerful, changing clock requires opening manual, would like more FRONT leg room (the back is great but I'm tall UP FRONT), speakers are garbage compared to lux-sports sedan class I'm used to (Really poor), in this year model bluetooth and push button start were not included. If the Mazda dealer wasn't a pain I was going to buy that, but got angry and bought Honda. Probably goodmove

No more honda's for this family
By chicagotomtom

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Like many reviews before me on this site, we've owned honda's our whole life, and bought the 2009 V6 Accord based on our the value and reliability that Honda built is reputation on...well, we were thinking about buying the new Pilot to replace our 2002 CRV, but after our poor experience with the quality of our 2009 Accord, it's time to try another car manufacturer. Already have the rear disc brakes replaced due as a part of the class action lawsuit, the driver side lumber controls stopped working at 30k miles, and continue to have issues with the battery/starter. I had originally planned to drive the car into the ground like we've done with all our other honda's, but want to sell it now.

The V6 does perform well with 270 hp and solid gas mileage. Lots of room in the back seat for the kids/car seats, and was a good value (I thought).

Quality and reliability are no longer Honda's core competencies.

My hard earned money down the drain!
By mccray35453

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had purchased my 2009 Accord in Nov. '11. the brakes sqweaked the next day, and still is now! Had taken the car to Midas, and was told the brakes looks brand new. Yet, sqweeking! The arm rest is wrinkled/bubble. I had read where someone said "the dealer" it was due to body oils. No one sits in the passenger side of my car, so why it it wrinkled/bubbled?! The trunk rattles like nobody's business, the AC makes a funny noise when on low, like it needs oil. Same Honda doesn't stand behind their vehicles, but then again, with these complaints, I would stand behind them either...physically! Here I come Nissan!

The use of the key fob to open/close windows/sunroof.

Listen to the people! Softer leather, durable armrest,

Dis. Like.
By moitz

2009 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Honda, and the first one I dislike. It's overly large, poorly built, and does not live up to Honda's legendary reliability and build quality. The exterior is not unpleasant to look at, and with the EX V6, the sunroof, chrome trim, and rims don't detract. However, the interior is way too heavy on plasticy bits, the carpet feels cheap, and things rattle like a 1990s GM product. Too many buttons, etc. Performance-wise, the auto transmission is atrocious. I've taken to manually shifting it when I need to get into 1st in a hurry. The gas mileage is awful (17 on a 70/30 city highway split, maybe 25 on the highway). However, the engine is smooth and powerful.

The 6 cyl. Despite the AWFUL gas mileage, it's smooth and powerful, and quiet. The Eco mode is pretty cool. The ride quality is what I'd expect from Honda - firmer than your usual US car, but not what I'd call sporty.

Honda needs to ban the pleather door inserts. Go back to cloth for the cloth seats, leather for the leather seats. Upgrade the carpet and padding. Wayyyy less buttons on the center stack. Fix the problem that you can't see the radio display when the sun is even remotely shaving on it. Far less hard plastic.

Shocked that I HATE this car
By jrs4682

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Accord and I hate it. I have replaced all 4 door locks, the lumbar control in the drivers seat, Airbag sensors. The seats are so uncomfortable, I cant drive more than 30 minutes without being in pain. I get car sick when I am riding in the passenger seat due to the road noise and feeling every bump. I have NEVER had a problem with my other Accords only this one but overall I am not happy with this purchase at all and I will be trading in ASAP.