3+ Years and 55,000 miles - The Good and the Bad
By markm1960 on
2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
The Accord is well built with little or no rattles or squeaks. The brake issues have been well documented, I got over 22,000 miles on mine before replacement - most was covered by the class action suit. This vehicle drives very well but road noise is an issue. It handles well, especially around town. The headrests are slung too far forward for comfort, but I was able to adjust my seat more vertically to compensate. I have also worked the head rest back and forth and this has loosened it up a bit. The interior is refined and the controls are intuitive once I got the hang of them. Overall this is a very good car. I would be great with better noise control and a different head rest.
Favorite Features
Running around town - this car handles very well for a larger sedan. The steering is solid, the transmission is very well mated to the engine. The car does not rattle and I still think the interior looks refined - the car is paid off and I see no reason to get rid of it. I plan to drive it for years to come.
Suggested Improvements
Honda needs to make "road noise" reduction a priority, it is silly for a car this well made to be so noisy. They blew it on the brakes and I hope the lesson was learned. The seats are a bit stiff and the head rests were apparently designed by their corporate attorneys - with little chance of backlash and even less of achieving comfort. The ride can be a bit harsh but I am not sure I am willing to give up any handling to achieve a softer ride, we have lots of round-abouts and the Accord makes them fun to negotiate. The trunk is a bit small, especially with the arm bars, but I understand this is a concession to the Accord's unique suspension which I really like.
By markm1960
on 08/16/12 11:45 AM (PDT)

This is Mark M1960 - I just replaced the original tires, I went with Michelin Primacy MXM4's, "W" Rated. The ride is terrific, they handle very well and the road noise has decreased.

By markm1960
on 04/15/13 08:07 AM (PDT)

This is MarkM1960 - I've had two issues with the VCM, (Variable Cylinder Management). In both instances, a spark plug was fouled, (it relates to the cylinder being shut down to save fuel). The first issue was with cylinder #3, Honda fixed it at no charge and then reprogrammed the software to vary which cylinders would be shut down in the future. 4 months later, it has happened again, this time on #4. They replaced the plug and I will have to bring it in again for further diagnostics. The VCM is a known issue with the 2009 model. Will report on the outcome.