Used 2009 Honda Accord EX V-6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

VCM (variable cylinder managment) misfire, engine light flashing
By jarred

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm posting this review for those who had problems with the VCM/engine misfire. It happened to us last week. Without a warning the car started stuttering and the flashing engine light came on. It sounded to me like a timing/sparkplugs problem. We found some scary info about class action suit against Honda due to the engine design problem. Took it to Honda dealer. They replaced 4 out of 6 sparkplugs and updated the car software. I talked to the shop foreman (yes, you have to insist on it, though the reception girl will first tell you that mechanics don't talk to customers, WHY??). This is what the foreman told me:

Favorite Features

1. this happens when you do a lot of highway driving (true, we recently came from 1000 mile road trip through MT, ID and BC). As you drive on a highway (as opposed to city) the car stays in ECO mode a lot. That is "unbalanced stress on the cylinders" (my wording) when 4 cylinders do all the work and 2 are resting. Yes ECO is 4, not 3 cylinders he told me. 2. The updated software takes care of that by periodically turning on all of the cylinders (even if they don't have to work) to keep things balanced, or as he put it: to give the cylinders a chance to clear. BTW, there is no problem with VSA. it's just when engine misfires VSA cannot work. so the VSA sign flashes on dashboard too.

Suggested Improvements

3. sparkplugs in 2009 accord V6 need to be changed every 100,000 miles anyways, we were coming on to 70,000 miles. So our sparkplugs failed a little early, due to the extra stress of the ECO mode. 4. Coils were fine. I'm considering carrying and couple of sparkplugs with us on long trips, since once the flashing engine light comes on you shouldn't drive or the catalytic convertor could get damaged-although I trust that the software updated takes care of the issue. However I'm also intending on "helping the engine" by putting occasional stepping on the gas and then breaking, to take it out of the ECO mode on long highway stretches. ok, I hope this helps somebody.

An Aston Martin it isn't, but it's pretty damn OK
By slimm1470

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it with 48k and now it has 68k. I have all service records, it's been cared for properly. Nothing has gone wrong with this car! It's a V6 sedan and it's fast! It has about the slickest engine and transmission combination I've ever driven. Except for some body roll, the handling qualities are great. The steering is agile and it's goes exactly where you nudge it. Fine car.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission, build quality, tight steering, fine leather. I've taken some loooong trips in it and was entirely comfortable. Cold A/C!

Suggested Improvements

Road and wind noise a bit high. Too many buttons on the dash.

Ain't an Aston Martin but it's Pretty Darn A-Okay
By slimm1470

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

These reviews kill me. People gripe about stuff they should have noticed on the test drive. They obviously didn't do their due diligence and now they're pissed at themselves for buying a car that doesn't please them. Well, duh. I bought this one with 48k miles, now it's at 70k. It's been great! Yes, it has road noise and yes, a bit of body roll. I knew that going in. The steering and front end are excellent. The engine (V6) and transmission are strong and very fast. It's been reliable with no complaints. I drive it a bit hard so the fuel mileage averages 24 city & highway. On a long trip it's comfortable and quick. If you find one properly serviced, drive it first, then buy the sucker!

Favorite Features

Steering and front end Engine, transmission Good leather Comfortable seats Reliability and Build Quality

Suggested Improvements

Reduce road noise and body roll

Dis. Like.
By moitz

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Honda, and the first one I dislike. It's overly large, poorly built, and does not live up to Honda's legendary reliability and build quality. The exterior is not unpleasant to look at, and with the EX V6, the sunroof, chrome trim, and rims don't detract. However, the interior is way too heavy on plasticy bits, the carpet feels cheap, and things rattle like a 1990s GM product. Too many buttons, etc. Performance-wise, the auto transmission is atrocious. I've taken to manually shifting it when I need to get into 1st in a hurry. The gas mileage is awful (17 on a 70/30 city highway split, maybe 25 on the highway). However, the engine is smooth and powerful.

Favorite Features

The 6 cyl. Despite the AWFUL gas mileage, it's smooth and powerful, and quiet. The Eco mode is pretty cool. The ride quality is what I'd expect from Honda - firmer than your usual US car, but not what I'd call sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to ban the pleather door inserts. Go back to cloth for the cloth seats, leather for the leather seats. Upgrade the carpet and padding. Wayyyy less buttons on the center stack. Fix the problem that you can't see the radio display when the sun is even remotely shaving on it. Far less hard plastic.

New meaning for the word JUNK!
By Lee F.

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Door panels rattle, sunroof controls rattle, shifter rattles, trunk rattles, brakes had to be replaced at 5000 miles, rear brakes have a class action settlement, hesitates when going around a corner, glove box rattles (replaced three times), driver's door wouldn't open (had to crawl over console from passenger side), both front and rear doors on driver's side had to be "readjusted" because they wouldn't open, squeak under dash, air conditioner makes a popping noise, driver's seat belt had to be replaced because it was making a ticking noise, and the list goes on and on. Car was in the shop 12 times before it even had 5000 miles on it. Last time, they had it for 11 days!

Favorite Features

NONE. I can hardly wait for the lease to be up so I can turn it back in.

Suggested Improvements

Start making these cars in Japan again. I quit buying Toyotas after 28 years because their American made Camry was worse than this car. I had the Camry in the shop every two weeks like clockwork. I had hoped Honda would be a good replacement, but guess not!