2009 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
VCM (variable cylinder managment) misfire, engine light flashing
By jarred on 07/07/14 15:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm posting this review for those who had problems with the VCM/engine misfire. It happened to us last week. Without a warning the car started stuttering and the flashing engine light came on. It sounded to me like a timing/sparkplugs problem. We found some scary info about class action suit against Honda due to the engine design problem. Took it to Honda dealer. They replaced 4 out of 6 sparkplugs and updated the car software. I talked to the shop foreman (yes, you have to insist on it, though the reception girl will first tell you that mechanics don't talk to customers, WHY??). This is what the foreman told me:

An Aston Martin it isn't, but it's pretty damn OK
By slimm1470 on 08/07/13 13:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it with 48k and now it has 68k. I have all service records, it's been cared for properly. Nothing has gone wrong with this car! It's a V6 sedan and it's fast! It has about the slickest engine and transmission combination I've ever driven. Except for some body roll, the handling qualities are great. The steering is agile and it's goes exactly where you nudge it. Fine car.

Ain't an Aston Martin but it's Pretty Darn A-Okay
By slimm1470 on 05/10/13 12:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

These reviews kill me. People gripe about stuff they should have noticed on the test drive. They obviously didn't do their due diligence and now they're pissed at themselves for buying a car that doesn't please them. Well, duh. I bought this one with 48k miles, now it's at 70k. It's been great! Yes, it has road noise and yes, a bit of body roll. I knew that going in. The steering and front end are excellent. The engine (V6) and transmission are strong and very fast. It's been reliable with no complaints. I drive it a bit hard so the fuel mileage averages 24 city & highway. On a long trip it's comfortable and quick. If you find one properly serviced, drive it first, then buy the sucker!

Dis. Like.
By moitz on 08/17/12 13:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Honda, and the first one I dislike. It's overly large, poorly built, and does not live up to Honda's legendary reliability and build quality. The exterior is not unpleasant to look at, and with the EX V6, the sunroof, chrome trim, and rims don't detract. However, the interior is way too heavy on plasticy bits, the carpet feels cheap, and things rattle like a 1990s GM product. Too many buttons, etc. Performance-wise, the auto transmission is atrocious. I've taken to manually shifting it when I need to get into 1st in a hurry. The gas mileage is awful (17 on a 70/30 city highway split, maybe 25 on the highway). However, the engine is smooth and powerful.

New meaning for the word JUNK!
By Lee F. on 07/03/10 21:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Door panels rattle, sunroof controls rattle, shifter rattles, trunk rattles, brakes had to be replaced at 5000 miles, rear brakes have a class action settlement, hesitates when going around a corner, glove box rattles (replaced three times), driver's door wouldn't open (had to crawl over console from passenger side), both front and rear doors on driver's side had to be "readjusted" because they wouldn't open, squeak under dash, air conditioner makes a popping noise, driver's seat belt had to be replaced because it was making a ticking noise, and the list goes on and on. Car was in the shop 12 times before it even had 5000 miles on it. Last time, they had it for 11 days!

2009 ACCORD V6-NOT SO GREAT!
By ELMALO212 on 01/23/10 19:33 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ride quality stinks, a lot of wind noise v6 power not so powerful, interior designed its good, a lot of road noise if you are driving on the hwy. Honda not that reliable.

Very happy so far
By cecexo on 12/11/09 19:11 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have my Honda for 8 months with no problem. Glad I made this choice. The car is somewhat big, so parking may be an issue. The only other thing is road noise. Otherwise - comfort, quality, MPG, appearance are superior. Get used to VSM, which did not like in the beginning.

Still on the fence
By Gary on 10/11/09 17:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have 3 Honda's - although this one looks great - couple of things: road noise (so loud yesterday that I couldn't hear my son on cell) - I know that road surface plays into it, but... really. Brakes squeal, seats are ok - but being short it is hard for me to find the optimal position for steering wheel without it blocking out speedo. Also, passenger airbag light comes on intermittently and some engine lights too. Keep thinking about that Bimmer... will give this a few more months.

Fun To Drive....NO!
By Fun To Drive....NO! on 08/24/09 09:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Comfort, styling and most features are great, but why have 271 horsies under the hood if the take off from a dead stop is so sluggish? It performs great at highway speeds, but hesitates when taking off from a red light. Next Accord for me will be the 4 cylinder 190 HP version. The VCM 6 is a HUGE disappointment for me. Will trade this in as soon as possible!

Competent, not spectacular
By arun11 on 08/22/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I researched this car, complaints seem be centered around VCM, uncomfortable seats, road noise, and brake issues. 300 miles after I purchased this car, I am yet to experience issues in any of these areas. VCM seems to work fine; I've driven up and down hills and on straight roads, speeds up to 70 mph, and transitions are far less noticeable than gear changes. I do not consider road noise an issue as long as you don't compare it to a Lexus. I am yet to experience any issues with the brakes. Overall, seems to be a well built car, handles far better than my old Camry, and am reasonably satisfied with it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Accord Sedan in WA is:

$133 per month*