Used 2009 Honda Accord LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Accord aint what it once was
By Brad Till

2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd Accord I've owned. The first was bought new in 1993. Drove it for 15 years and never missed a beat. Fantastic car. But the 2009 has been a huge disappointment. Here's a laundry list of it's shortcomings: Rear brakes have been replaced twice. (97000 miles on car) 1st time under warranty (partially) 2nd time on me. rotors pads and calipers. Rear deck rattles along with various rattles from the dash. Carpet on passenger side won't stay put. Keyfobs (yes both) are inoperable. At 90,000 it began burning oil. Now burns a quart of oil every 1500-1700 miles, but Honda says that's normal (BS). Road noise is rather high. Fan for the heater/AC is squeaky on low. So it's high or tear your hair out with aggravation. Drivers seat is good for about an hour of driving before back ache sets in. I kept the car cause it was paid for, but the oil burning is the final straw for me. Getting rid of it soon. Won't ever get another Honda.

Great Dad car - teens won't like it but it's safe
By b sommer

2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For this model, Honda reduced the size of the rear brake calipers. As a result, you'll need new rear disc brake pads every 30,000 miles. I still have 70% of the original pads left on the front pads. This issue was subject of a class action suit. After litigating, Honda did not address the problem. You'll be buying lots of rear brake pads with this car. Additionally, the rear brakes don't release the brake dust. It just accumulates on the pads and makes for a nasty grumbling sound when you hit the brakes most days. It's annoying and it contributes to uneven rotor wear. This means more trips to the brake shop. The seats in this car are pretty basic. Fabric covered foam seats that aren't the best for long drives. Okay for short trips - bad for a long road trip. Fuel economy, for such a large car, is pretty good. High 20s for most driving - higher on the highways lower in the city. Winter formulated fuel (here in Chicago) will lower MPG by 3-4 MPG. It's spacious. I've hauled a ton of things in it. visibility is really good My kids won't drive it - it's too much a dad-car. But they did use it to move into college!

Door lock actuators
By denisehamdi

2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Honda Accord used with approx 18,000 miles on it. I love it!! The only issue I have is that I have had to replace the 2 door lock actuators on the driver's side. Now the back passenger actuator is going. I'm going to wait until the front passenger actuator goes so I can replace them at the same time. It seems that's an issue of the part. Otherwise LOVE my Honda!!!

Manual drive, sunroof, stereo

Overall a good car
By EyLct

2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a lot for work. There is never a time where I doubt the dependability of my accord. Within the first 5k miles I had to have a tire sensor replaced. After 12k miles all of a sudden it started making this really loud grinding noise. I took it to Honda and they said it was the brakes. They replaced everything free of charge. So far so good. I do notice while idling the car with rev really low like it's about to stall out or jump suddenly where if I didn't have my foot on the brakes I would have hit the car in front of me. Very concerning. Very poor acceleration. Horrible gas mileage. Though I love the look of the cars exterior.

Great paint job. Love the modern look of the exterior. Big gas tank.

Brakes. Air conditioning could be a bit stronger. Seats make a crackling noise when you move around and are very uncomfortable for long car rides.

No Rear Brakes
By Loyal Honda Guy

2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Good handling - solid performance - everything that you would expect from a Honda - my two sons are over 6 feet tall and there is plenty of leg room in the rear. And of course great gas mileage - however, watch out for the rear brakes on this car - I just had the car in for a 15,000 mile service and only had 5% left on the rear brakes - the mechanic told me the brake pad is a 1 inch by 1 inch pad that wears out every 12k-15k miles - Honda claims they are aware of the problem but no recall or service warranty issued by Honda yet? That is why I got rid of my Suburban - undersized brakes for the car - now it seems I have the same problem with a Honda??? Unheard of.

Body style is very attractive - most people comment that the car really does not look like a Honda - large and stylish body for a Honda - good leg room overall - seems to have plenty of interior space - heater and A/C unit appear to work just fine as well as the stereo - comfortable ride overall.

Rear brakes, rear brakes, rear brakes.

• SUV