2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2009 Accord Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Sort Reviews by

My 1st and Last Honda
By isabel4

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car as a lease for 2 1/2 years. After 2 months that's when the problems started. 1st, the breaks squealed really bad...it took me a year of arguing with Honda to finally have them fixed after a service bulletin. Then my air conditioning started to make noises, they claim they cannot hear it and nothing is wrong. Sometimes it sounds like metal scraping metal, other times like someone is honking at me. Its much louder then having my music blasting. My steering wheel clicks when I turn, again they claim nothing is wrong. Now at my last oil change they said my rear brake pads needed changing. I don't even have 30,000 miles on the car yet. Glad I leased it! 4 more months...

Favorite Features

Color, Body Style

Suggested Improvements

Build the cars to the quality people are used too...not with all the problems. Brakes, air conditioning, steering.

Not so great!
By cel5000

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded my Lexus 06 IS250 for this based on Honda's reputation and the fact that my wife's 04 Accord has been a great car. I was initially impressed with the styling which led to the test drive. Power is impressive and the ride is harsh but the payoff is in the handling. I just turned 14K and have noticed a slight brake shimmy at highway speeds so there may be something to all the complaints logged here. I also have the "bumpy" feel to the driver seat when adjusting forward or back. My dealer told me that Honda is working on a solution for this - we'll see. Overall it's a good car that is reliable but, in my option, not as great as it's predecessor.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, ample interior space and large trunk. Handling. Power. Fuel economy. MP3 jack.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, Brakes, bumpy seat tracks. Does Honda ever read this stuff? Hey - FIX IT! At least offer HID if you don't want to include it on the fully optioned vehicles. Same goes for keyless ignition and tiptronic shifting. The "premium" sound system is anything but. Going for G37 coupe next round.

Transmission slippage
By NJDOC373

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Over all I am happy to have bought my Accord Coupe V6. It's a fun car, handles good, lots of power. Recently though, I've been aggravated by the transmission slipping in and out of gear when when I'm trying to maintain a constant speed on the highway. I can actually see the tach. spike 200-400 rpms and then fall back into gear, with an accompanying pulse of acceleration. It's very annoying. The dealership seems to be avoiding the possibility that this problem exists and recently I spoke with the owner of the carwash I use and his accord and four other owners he's spoken to have had similar transmission problems - some worse than mine. I fear an ugly battle with Honda in my future.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes clunk when going from reverse to forward.

Best Coupe Under $40K Available
By PeasterBunny

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove the Infinit G35 (great drive, terrible interior), the Altima Coupe (good drive, just not great), the BMW 3 Series (good drive, OVERPRICED) the Mercedes C230 (rides like a Buick), & the Toyota Camry Solara (chunky drive like the Mercedes). None of these cars compare to the Honda Accord V6 Coupe. The only ride I liked better was the G35 but it's a rear wheel drive. And for that price it doesn't come with an ipod hook-up?!?!?! No other car even came close to the Accord as far as value and ride. YOU WILL LOVE IT! But drive the others so you have that, 'ha-ha! I got the best one' feeling. It's lovely.

Favorite Features

Power off the line AND at cruise. Maneuverability is pristine. Awesome stereo. A great value if you negotiate well. And last but not least the Belize Blue color (I'm a girl! I have to look pretty!)

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support should move up/down as well as in/out. Needs the auto-dimming rearview. Ride is slightly stiff. I KNOW! It should be, but I am hoping it softens just a tad after it's broken in. It should so no worries there.

My Black on Black Accord Coupe
By BlackBeauty

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is very fun to drive, very solid build, and very roomy for a midsize 2 door coupe. The V6 gets good gas mileage considering the amount of performance it has and power whenever you need it. The inside is comfortable and is not as bad as some people make it out to be, but it is no Mercedes or BMW. Ride quality is above average, but could be a little better on a $30K MSRP car. It is very beautiful inside and out. I opted for black on black, design is superb, and the chrome additions to the car make it look 10x better. When I first bought it my coworkers thought it was a Jag or Lexus and liked it better than my coworker's Lexus that they had just purchased. So far I'm very happy!

Favorite Features

Powerful V6 engine, decent fuel economy, roominess inside the vehicle, ample trunk room, sound system isn't the best in the industry but it is above average, transmission is diverse and very responsive, aux port is hidden and very useful, love the safety ratings and all the airbags, and htd mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Ride quality slightly better on the EXL top of the line, reduce wind noise a little but it's the best out of any car I've owned, make Bluetooth standard, make HID's and auto dimming rearview standard on this model, move the heated seat switches, climate control operation is a bit busy.

Great car so far
By ashlynn

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for over a month and have 1500 miles on it. I have nothing but good things to say. At first I had to get used to the automatic transmission because of the Eco mode. You can feel the car downshift and at first it's uncomfortable because you're not used to it. Now I don't even notice it. This car is powerful and I have a lot of fun driving it. I actually look forward to my 30 mile commute each day. A lot of people complain about the seats. I think the leather is fine and have driven on a road trip (200 miles) with no problems. The car is beautiful inside and out and I get a lot of compliments on it. It really does look like a Lexus or BMW with all the chrome. I have black on black.

Favorite Features

Powerful V6 engine, Beautiful exterior, sound system, Quiet engine with minimal road noise in my opinion.

Suggested Improvements

Option to turn off eco mode.

Overall Good Buy!!
By SAVLIS

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Accord coupe. I have owned a 2003 and 2006 4CYL. this time I decided on the 2009 V6. It is definitely fun to drive. I look forward to my daily commute. The V6 is powerful and responds immediately, especially if you drive it in D3. The one major complaint I have is the road noise. It seems inherent in all the coupes. Don't know if it is a problem in Sedans. HONDA... please do something about the road and wind noise.

Favorite Features

V6, Suspension, Smooth Automatic Transmission, ECO gas saving feature and VSA

Suggested Improvements

Insulate the passenger cabin from all the road noise. Reduce the amount of buttons in the center console.

Great bang for the Buck
By MJ

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Honda for 8months now and thought I would relay my remarks. I currently have 10.5k miles. Now I'm a pretty picky man and take attention to detail. The Honda took my expectations above and beyond. Nothing broke or had I had a problem with. It did well in the Chicago winter with heated mirrors and the defrosters are placed well. I love this car. I am getting paint chips but I do ride on the Highways mostly. For those that complain about road noise get better/bigger tires - I hear no noise with the stock 18' low profile tires. Those that complain about the seat, well I never have a problem, perhaps my model has a better seat. Great car - I expected to ride this into the ground at 200k+.

Favorite Features

Aux jack hidden in glove dept, garage link opener, heated everything, performance on the V6 (don't complain if your car is slow when you drive a 4 banger), ride quality, head room is more than a denali, back seat is as big as a two door car (I have a coupe), trunk space is big for a coupe, LOVE IT!

Suggested Improvements

Audio not powerful/loud enough for the highest end model. Seating belt noise is annoying (I should wear it). I get 23 MPG and I drive mostly highway, I thought it would be higher. I drive normal but I still use premium. No need for an XM button because XM stinks! No washer fluid indicator... weird?

It looks good, but that's it
By abray006

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car back in March and got a heck of a deal, but I have been very disappointed by the quality, noise, and most of all the VCM technology. This car looks awesome from the outside and has decent interior, but Honda needs to go back to a simple engine and have a 6 speed automatic for fuel economy. The VCM is constantly hunting and car jerks when its coming to a stop. The automatic transmission can't keep up with a sporty drive and the handling is to tight for my taste. I was sold on looks and should have gotten into a more solid all around car.

Favorite Features

Exterior Style

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the VCM. Use more metal and not plastic. Give the 2 door some special sport tuner transmission such as a Subaru. Add a keyless on button. This car needs more technology to keep up with Nissan and Toyota. Costs to much for what you get.

A wise 2-door coupe purchase
By Accordguy0325

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe. I recently purchased the above car in crystal black pearl, with a black interior. In terms of exterior styling I personally believe it is one of Honda's best looking cars to date with its flowing lines, chrome accents, large wheels, and, expressive curves. I find the interior to be very luxurious, visually appealing, and very well put together. The textures and materials of the interior, especially the leather trim and aluminum look accents are of high quality. The power from the 3.5 liter V6 is smooth and strong, complimented by a perfect balance of sporty handling and a comfortable ride, all while being reasonably quiet. I highly recommend this car!

Favorite Features

271 hp V6 power 18 inch wheels heated leather seats

Suggested Improvements

More seamless VCM (variable cylinder management).