2009 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
V6 VCM has serious design problems
By vu_du_man on 03/08/14 20:03 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As evidenced by class action settlement last year the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 variable cylinder management system is an absolute lemon and has seriously damaged Honda's reputation for producing a quality vehicles. I purchased my 2009 Honda in 2008 and started having misfire issues last year. My car has been in the shop seven times for the same issue. In December 2013, my local Honda dealership a fix to cylinders 1-4 as recommended by the service bulletin issued in response to the class action settlement. My car stalled less than week after this fix was applied with misfire issues on cylinders 5 and 6 and it has been in the shop 3 times since.

I will never buy a Honda again
By lindseymarie on 02/27/12 23:50 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe back in September of 2008 thinking it was a smart and economical yet sporty car to get me through college. Well, now more than three years and many bills later I am regretting my decision. The constant squeaking loud brakes (from day 1), replacing my rear brakes three times since my purchase, the electrical issues and the fact that I had to have the battery completely replaced a year later. This car cost close to 30k and I feel like I am driving a Kia or something, the ride is uncomfortable and loud, the passenger airbag only works on an arbitrary basis, the heat/air is horrible & gas mileage is extremely poor! Also had three tire blowouts, weird.

My 1st and Last Honda
By isabel4 on 07/13/11 08:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car as a lease for 2 1/2 years. After 2 months that's when the problems started. 1st, the breaks squealed really bad...it took me a year of arguing with Honda to finally have them fixed after a service bulletin. Then my air conditioning started to make noises, they claim they cannot hear it and nothing is wrong. Sometimes it sounds like metal scraping metal, other times like someone is honking at me. Its much louder then having my music blasting. My steering wheel clicks when I turn, again they claim nothing is wrong. Now at my last oil change they said my rear brake pads needed changing. I don't even have 30,000 miles on the car yet. Glad I leased it! 4 more months...

Reliable but has issues.
By run04 on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Accord Coupe brand new. Almost a year later, the clear coat and paint is starting to corrode. Honda is refusing to do anything about it and is blaming the issue on bird droppings. I have never had a car where the clear coat and paint just start to corrode this easily. The A/C really struggles in hot weather (90 degree outside temp)to make the cabin comfortable. Finally figured out that you have to run the A/C on max and recirculate the air for it to be marginally comfortable.

Fun, fast and reliable
By Robert Smith on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is very sporty and fun to drive. The 6 speed is smooth and easy to shift. The 6 speed makes good use of the 3.5's power. Handling is great. This is a very tight and well put together car. Bought the car used with 16,000 on it and have not had a peep of problems. No brake issues at 22,000, guess I'm lucky after reading some of the other reviews. This is my 4th Honda, 2 civics and 2 accords, and no complaints so far. For the money spent, this car lives up to the Honda reputation so far. I just have to say, in this price range, it's hard to find another car that has better performance. The 3.5 6m is straight out of the acura line up and feels like it.

Solid coupe, honda quality
By smallV6fan on 08/20/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded an '03 Accord with 3.0 V-6 for an'09 EXL, 2.4, 190 HP. No complaints other than MPG could be better. The 4 cyl. has almost as much performance as one could hope for, but passed on the 3.7 V6 (overkill). I miss the 240 HP, 3 liter, a sweet engine. Why is Honda making the V6 larger and more powerful? A 2.8-2.9 V6 with 240 HP would be perfect for this car, and be a lot "greener".

Didn't know what was wrong until now
By Peggy on 07/22/10 18:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Former 1998 Civic owner---loved it for 160,000 miles! Upgraded to new 09 Accord in July, 09. Fine car but I've been unable to pinpoint why I haven't been thrilled with purchase. Seats extremely uncomfortable for 5,3". Rear window around auto-defroster splotchy. Less than 20 mpg city; 29 mpg highway not bad though. No brake problems at 12,000 miles. Car idles rough. Stalled for no apparent reason approaching red light (auto transmission). Thinking about going back to Civic. Don't know if I should go with a 2011 or wait for '12 redesign. Not sure what I expected but I have not had the same satisfaction I experienced for 11 yrs w/1998 Civic. Maybe bigger is not always better.

So close to perfect, yet so damned far
By sbowden99 on 06/22/10 21:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe LX-S 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Love the styling. However, this is a BIG car, and it handles like one. Poor rear sight lines make you fearful to change lanes. Cheap touches in the interior abound (the steering wheel and gearshift would probably work in a Dodge, but are sub-par for a Honda). The one thing I HATE about this otherwise vanilla and inoffensive car is the brake squeal. My brakes sound like they're made of steel wool. They literally grate on my nerves. What was Honda thinking?

Traded In After Numerous Problems
By NYHonda_owner on 06/08/10 15:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Having owned many Hondas before, I was excited when I first bought this car. However, it soon developed problems with paint chipping from the tail light area, rear brake squeal and premature pad wear, and a clicking noise that first was fixed by having the steering column dismantled, and then completely replaced. However the worst was the front seats. It became extremely painful to drive for more then 20 mins in them. The dealer was aware of the problem but there was no fix. I ended up trading this in for a 2006 Honda CR-V SE, which ironically is much more comfortable, problem free, and gets the same gas mileage, despite the fact that it's older. Overall, I can't recommend this car to anyone.

Not so great!
By cel5000 on 05/12/10 13:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded my Lexus 06 IS250 for this based on Honda's reputation and the fact that my wife's 04 Accord has been a great car. I was initially impressed with the styling which led to the test drive. Power is impressive and the ride is harsh but the payoff is in the handling. I just turned 14K and have noticed a slight brake shimmy at highway speeds so there may be something to all the complaints logged here. I also have the "bumpy" feel to the driver seat when adjusting forward or back. My dealer told me that Honda is working on a solution for this - we'll see. Overall it's a good car that is reliable but, in my option, not as great as it's predecessor.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe in WA is:

$179 per month*