Used 2009 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

V6 VCM has serious design problems
By vu_du_man

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As evidenced by class action settlement last year the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 variable cylinder management system is an absolute lemon and has seriously damaged Honda's reputation for producing a quality vehicles. I purchased my 2009 Honda in 2008 and started having misfire issues last year. My car has been in the shop seven times for the same issue. In December 2013, my local Honda dealership a fix to cylinders 1-4 as recommended by the service bulletin issued in response to the class action settlement. My car stalled less than week after this fix was applied with misfire issues on cylinders 5 and 6 and it has been in the shop 3 times since.

Honda Tech has recommended the front head be replaced. Honda is claiming the current issues are not related to the design of the engine and is requiring me to pay $825 for labor to fix my car. When the "Check Engine" light came on my car I have always taken it to the nearest Honda dealership immediately and this car has never overheated. When they applied the fix in December, they checked the heads to make sure they were not warped. Therefore, how Honda has concluded misfire issues on the front bank cylinders are not related to problems caused by the VCM system is beyond me. Bottom-line, I strongly recommend you do not purchase any 2008-2012 Honda with the V6 VCM system.

Replace this engine with a new design. Do your research on Honda V6 misfire issues if you're thinking about buying this car.

I will never buy a Honda again
By lindseymarie

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe back in September of 2008 thinking it was a smart and economical yet sporty car to get me through college. Well, now more than three years and many bills later I am regretting my decision. The constant squeaking loud brakes (from day 1), replacing my rear brakes three times since my purchase, the electrical issues and the fact that I had to have the battery completely replaced a year later. This car cost close to 30k and I feel like I am driving a Kia or something, the ride is uncomfortable and loud, the passenger airbag only works on an arbitrary basis, the heat/air is horrible & gas mileage is extremely poor! Also had three tire blowouts, weird.

None

Make a car that works.

My 1st and Last Honda
By isabel4

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car as a lease for 2 1/2 years. After 2 months that's when the problems started. 1st, the breaks squealed really bad...it took me a year of arguing with Honda to finally have them fixed after a service bulletin. Then my air conditioning started to make noises, they claim they cannot hear it and nothing is wrong. Sometimes it sounds like metal scraping metal, other times like someone is honking at me. Its much louder then having my music blasting. My steering wheel clicks when I turn, again they claim nothing is wrong. Now at my last oil change they said my rear brake pads needed changing. I don't even have 30,000 miles on the car yet. Glad I leased it! 4 more months...

Color, Body Style

Build the cars to the quality people are used too...not with all the problems. Brakes, air conditioning, steering.

Reliable but has issues.
By run04

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Accord Coupe brand new. Almost a year later, the clear coat and paint is starting to corrode. Honda is refusing to do anything about it and is blaming the issue on bird droppings. I have never had a car where the clear coat and paint just start to corrode this easily. The A/C really struggles in hot weather (90 degree outside temp)to make the cabin comfortable. Finally figured out that you have to run the A/C on max and recirculate the air for it to be marginally comfortable.

Outside look.

The speedometer and tachometer need to be reversed. The steering wheel is in the way of the speedometer making it difficult to read in certain positions. Make the A/C more powerful and fix the paint / clear coat issue.

Fun, fast and reliable
By Robert Smith

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is very sporty and fun to drive. The 6 speed is smooth and easy to shift. The 6 speed makes good use of the 3.5's power. Handling is great. This is a very tight and well put together car. Bought the car used with 16,000 on it and have not had a peep of problems. No brake issues at 22,000, guess I'm lucky after reading some of the other reviews. This is my 4th Honda, 2 civics and 2 accords, and no complaints so far. For the money spent, this car lives up to the Honda reputation so far. I just have to say, in this price range, it's hard to find another car that has better performance. The 3.5 6m is straight out of the acura line up and feels like it.

Acceleration and handling, fun to drive and thats what I bought it for.

Rear tail light design. No l.e.d.s? Need to simplify the dash, it's not a bimmer. Lower front grill is suspect to road damage to the condenser, need a screen to protect.