Used 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Love This Car
By Mason Miller

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is an excellent vehicle. I bought mine used with 67,000 miles on it in 2013 and always had people asking me what year it was. I only did oil changes and the car always performed as asked. Good get up and go for a four cylinder and decent gas mileage. If you can get a good deal on one I would not hesitate!!

V6 VCM has serious design problems
By vu_du_man

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As evidenced by class action settlement last year the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 variable cylinder management system is an absolute lemon and has seriously damaged Honda's reputation for producing a quality vehicles.
I purchased my 2009 Honda in 2008 and started having misfire issues last year.
My car has been in the shop seven times for the same issue.
In December 2013, my local
Honda dealership a fix to cylinders 1-4 as recommended by the service bulletin issued in response to the class action settlement.
My car stalled less than week after this fix was applied with misfire issues on cylinders 5 and 6 and it has been in the shop 3 times since.

Honda Tech has recommended the front head be replaced. Honda is claiming the current issues are not related to the design of the engine and is requiring me to pay $825 for labor to fix my car. When the "Check Engine" light came on my car I have always taken it to the nearest Honda dealership immediately and this car has never overheated. When they applied the fix in December, they checked the heads to make sure they were not warped. Therefore, how Honda has concluded misfire issues on the front bank cylinders are not related to problems caused by the VCM system is beyond me. Bottom-line, I strongly recommend you do not purchase any 2008-2012 Honda with the V6 VCM system.

Replace this engine with a new design. Do your research on Honda V6 misfire issues if you're thinking about buying this car.

I will never buy a Honda again
By lindseymarie

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe back in September of 2008 thinking it was a smart and economical yet sporty car to get me through college. Well, now more than three years and many bills later I am regretting my decision. The constant squeaking loud brakes (from day 1), replacing my rear brakes three times since my purchase, the electrical issues and the fact that I had to have the battery completely replaced a year later. This car cost close to 30k and I feel like I am driving a Kia or something, the ride is uncomfortable and loud, the passenger airbag only works on an arbitrary basis, the heat/air is horrible & gas mileage is extremely poor! Also had three tire blowouts, weird.

None

Make a car that works.

Solid coupe, honda quality
By smallV6fan

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded an '03 Accord with 3.0 V-6 for an'09 EXL, 2.4, 190 HP. No complaints other than MPG could be better. The 4 cyl. has almost as much performance as one could hope for, but passed on the 3.7 V6 (overkill). I miss the 240 HP, 3 liter, a sweet engine. Why is Honda making the V6 larger and more powerful? A 2.8-2.9 V6 with 240 HP would be perfect for this car, and be a lot "greener".

handling, looks, quality, sound system

seats, a larger 4 cyl., or a smaller V6

Didn't know what was wrong until now
By Peggy

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Former 1998 Civic owner---loved it for 160,000 miles! Upgraded to new 09 Accord in July, 09. Fine car but I've been unable to pinpoint why I haven't been thrilled with purchase. Seats extremely uncomfortable for 5,3". Rear window around auto-defroster splotchy. Less than 20 mpg city; 29 mpg highway not bad though. No brake problems at 12,000 miles. Car idles rough. Stalled for no apparent reason approaching red light (auto transmission). Thinking about going back to Civic. Don't know if I should go with a 2011 or wait for '12 redesign. Not sure what I expected but I have not had the same satisfaction I experienced for 11 yrs w/1998 Civic. Maybe bigger is not always better.

Large gas tank. Large trunk.

Seats! Seats! Seats! At 5'3" been unable to adjust to a satisfactory position comfortable for extended drives.