Used 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

V6 VCM has serious design problems
By vu_du_man

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As evidenced by class action settlement last year the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 variable cylinder management system is an absolute lemon and has seriously damaged Honda's reputation for producing a quality vehicles. I purchased my 2009 Honda in 2008 and started having misfire issues last year. My car has been in the shop seven times for the same issue. In December 2013, my local Honda dealership a fix to cylinders 1-4 as recommended by the service bulletin issued in response to the class action settlement. My car stalled less than week after this fix was applied with misfire issues on cylinders 5 and 6 and it has been in the shop 3 times since.

Favorite Features

Honda Tech has recommended the front head be replaced. Honda is claiming the current issues are not related to the design of the engine and is requiring me to pay $825 for labor to fix my car. When the "Check Engine" light came on my car I have always taken it to the nearest Honda dealership immediately and this car has never overheated. When they applied the fix in December, they checked the heads to make sure they were not warped. Therefore, how Honda has concluded misfire issues on the front bank cylinders are not related to problems caused by the VCM system is beyond me. Bottom-line, I strongly recommend you do not purchase any 2008-2012 Honda with the V6 VCM system.

Suggested Improvements

Replace this engine with a new design. Do your research on Honda V6 misfire issues if you're thinking about buying this car.

I will never buy a Honda again
By lindseymarie

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe back in September of 2008 thinking it was a smart and economical yet sporty car to get me through college. Well, now more than three years and many bills later I am regretting my decision. The constant squeaking loud brakes (from day 1), replacing my rear brakes three times since my purchase, the electrical issues and the fact that I had to have the battery completely replaced a year later. This car cost close to 30k and I feel like I am driving a Kia or something, the ride is uncomfortable and loud, the passenger airbag only works on an arbitrary basis, the heat/air is horrible & gas mileage is extremely poor! Also had three tire blowouts, weird.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that works.

Solid coupe, honda quality
By smallV6fan

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded an '03 Accord with 3.0 V-6 for an'09 EXL, 2.4, 190 HP. No complaints other than MPG could be better. The 4 cyl. has almost as much performance as one could hope for, but passed on the 3.7 V6 (overkill). I miss the 240 HP, 3 liter, a sweet engine. Why is Honda making the V6 larger and more powerful? A 2.8-2.9 V6 with 240 HP would be perfect for this car, and be a lot "greener".

Favorite Features

handling, looks, quality, sound system

Suggested Improvements

seats, a larger 4 cyl., or a smaller V6

Didn't know what was wrong until now
By Peggy

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Former 1998 Civic owner---loved it for 160,000 miles! Upgraded to new 09 Accord in July, 09. Fine car but I've been unable to pinpoint why I haven't been thrilled with purchase. Seats extremely uncomfortable for 5,3". Rear window around auto-defroster splotchy. Less than 20 mpg city; 29 mpg highway not bad though. No brake problems at 12,000 miles. Car idles rough. Stalled for no apparent reason approaching red light (auto transmission). Thinking about going back to Civic. Don't know if I should go with a 2011 or wait for '12 redesign. Not sure what I expected but I have not had the same satisfaction I experienced for 11 yrs w/1998 Civic. Maybe bigger is not always better.

Favorite Features

Large gas tank. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Seats! Seats! Seats! At 5'3" been unable to adjust to a satisfactory position comfortable for extended drives.

Last 2009 Honda Coupe out there
By al

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Got the last 2009 Honda EX-L 4cyl Coupe available, but discount was a little over 5700 so could either have high mileage 2010 with much small discount or very low 2009 and 09 made sense to me. Love this car, traded in 2008 EX-L 4dr and this car is very different in a very good way for me. I like handling, styling and gas mileage with another 4 cyl. Performance is fine if I had the 6cyl my mileage would be terrible-too-tempting. Getting 25 with 60/40city driving with very few miles on car. Have gotten used to just putting stuff in trunk since have only two doors to open now.

Favorite Features

Handling is actually a bit more sporty for lack of better word than 4 dr. I traded in. Like the styling and looks, the controls for everything I am very used to as inside is much same as prior car. My 4dr would get almost 33 on non stop Interstate trips so looking to be close that when I make those

Suggested Improvements

None this car is great.