2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
V6 VCM has serious design problems
By vu_du_man on 03/08/14 20:03 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

As evidenced by class action settlement last year the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 variable cylinder management system is an absolute lemon and has seriously damaged Honda's reputation for producing a quality vehicles. I purchased my 2009 Honda in 2008 and started having misfire issues last year. My car has been in the shop seven times for the same issue. In December 2013, my local Honda dealership a fix to cylinders 1-4 as recommended by the service bulletin issued in response to the class action settlement. My car stalled less than week after this fix was applied with misfire issues on cylinders 5 and 6 and it has been in the shop 3 times since.

I will never buy a Honda again
By lindseymarie on 02/27/12 23:50 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe back in September of 2008 thinking it was a smart and economical yet sporty car to get me through college. Well, now more than three years and many bills later I am regretting my decision. The constant squeaking loud brakes (from day 1), replacing my rear brakes three times since my purchase, the electrical issues and the fact that I had to have the battery completely replaced a year later. This car cost close to 30k and I feel like I am driving a Kia or something, the ride is uncomfortable and loud, the passenger airbag only works on an arbitrary basis, the heat/air is horrible & gas mileage is extremely poor! Also had three tire blowouts, weird.

Solid coupe, honda quality
By smallV6fan on 08/20/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Traded an '03 Accord with 3.0 V-6 for an'09 EXL, 2.4, 190 HP. No complaints other than MPG could be better. The 4 cyl. has almost as much performance as one could hope for, but passed on the 3.7 V6 (overkill). I miss the 240 HP, 3 liter, a sweet engine. Why is Honda making the V6 larger and more powerful? A 2.8-2.9 V6 with 240 HP would be perfect for this car, and be a lot "greener".

Didn't know what was wrong until now
By Peggy on 07/22/10 18:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Former 1998 Civic owner---loved it for 160,000 miles! Upgraded to new 09 Accord in July, 09. Fine car but I've been unable to pinpoint why I haven't been thrilled with purchase. Seats extremely uncomfortable for 5,3". Rear window around auto-defroster splotchy. Less than 20 mpg city; 29 mpg highway not bad though. No brake problems at 12,000 miles. Car idles rough. Stalled for no apparent reason approaching red light (auto transmission). Thinking about going back to Civic. Don't know if I should go with a 2011 or wait for '12 redesign. Not sure what I expected but I have not had the same satisfaction I experienced for 11 yrs w/1998 Civic. Maybe bigger is not always better.

Last 2009 Honda Coupe out there
By al on 02/24/10 14:36 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Got the last 2009 Honda EX-L 4cyl Coupe available, but discount was a little over 5700 so could either have high mileage 2010 with much small discount or very low 2009 and 09 made sense to me. Love this car, traded in 2008 EX-L 4dr and this car is very different in a very good way for me. I like handling, styling and gas mileage with another 4 cyl. Performance is fine if I had the 6cyl my mileage would be terrible-too-tempting. Getting 25 with 60/40city driving with very few miles on car. Have gotten used to just putting stuff in trunk since have only two doors to open now.

Black Honda Coupe
By dmull on 10/25/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

What can I say, it's a Honda. This is my 7th Honda in 20 years. The unique thing about a Honda is when you get inside and close the door, you hear and feel a solid contact. This is true in all new cars. The unique aspect of a Honda is that it will still sound that way in 10-15 years later. They are just built solid.

Brake noise
By JJ on 09/11/09 04:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

There is considerable road noise, and there is a MAJOR problem with the brake noise (on both my 2008 sedan and 2009 coupe). Honda definitely needs to fix this. Dealership told me basically my driving was crappy and that's why the brakes were squealing. The Honda Accord is an economy car. If you want bells and whistles buy a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes!

Shouldn't need to "get used" to seats
By dbdc22 on 08/10/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The seats (EX-L coupe) are simply awful for both me and my passenger. I get back pain, and my passenger gets neck pain from the head restraint. None of this was apparent on the test drive. Takes about 45 mins. or an hour to kick in. I have never had this experience in over 35 years of car ownership! Also don't like rear visibility. Can't see objects in rear quarter, and hard to tell where the rear bumper is in parking. Finally, low end torque with 190 Hp is still sub-par. On paper (and test drive) this is a fine car. Have owned two other Honda's with no problems. Unfortunately I let that sway my purchase. Am considering trading in for something else, with only 1100 miles.

Great Car
By Mike A on 05/04/09 13:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have been a Honda owner since 1979 and my 2009 coupe is the classiest to date. I really enjoy driving it. It handles and brakes extremely well, but it lacks power/acceleration when passing cars on the highway. I'm sure a 6 cyl would be more responsive. I am not intimidated by the center dash controls and at night the cockpit looks very impressive.The leather seats are very comfortable and the diver seat controls make it easy to adjust. I am very impressed by the separate climate control system for the driver and passenger and the 6 CD stereo. I'm a little disappointed in the trunk space. I can just squeeze in my large golf bag and cart. Overall there is no other car that I would want.

made a good choice
By Mike B on 12/16/08 02:00 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After months of looking found blk/blk 2009 accord coupe. Love it. I'm the type that researches and test drives lots of vehicles prior to purchase. This car fit my needs: comfortable, safe, stylish, affordable, and quality build. No car has everything otherwise we would all be driving "that" car. The EX is good value but I think the EX-L in the 4 cylinder might be the apex of the group in terms of performance/value/style. The V6 is fast and will appeal to the enthusiast, but in my mind it would only get me a speeding ticket. The 190HP 4 banger is good once you get it above 3500 rpm. Below that accel is nothing to rave about. Buy this car in the EX-L: V4 for value; V6 for kicks.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Accord in VA is:

$135 per month*