Used 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Our 4th and last Accord Coupe, and our last Honda
By bass56

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned 4 Accord Coupe's starting in 1999. All purchased new and each new model has been progressively worse, in quiet , comfort and reliability. I am fastidious about car maintenance and the detail of maintenance of this Accord has been excellent. The car is noisey and has rattles . The braking system has been nothing short of unreliable. All brakes and rotors have been replaced 2x and now it appears as if we must replace a brake caliper... it is locking up on us after short trips. We have also replaced wheel bearings and have had an on going oil problem. This oil problem is related to the same issues that prompted the class action suit.

Looks and acceleration.

One does not purcahse a Honda and expect the aforementioned issues. We have owned 7 Honda's in our family and can state unequivically that this trend will end with our next purchase. It is only because of an excellent mechanic that we endure this car. He discovered the oil issue long before the action suit. After changing the oil ( when the change oil indicator came on, as most Honda customers do) he changed the oil , checked the dipstick and stated, this new oil already has carbon in it. We now change the oil every 3k and check the level between changes. Not the Honda recomended 5-7.5 k. This car must have been built on a Monday with all Chinese supplied parts and engineering.

Quality, Quality, Reliability
By jarred

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It is true that most people who write reviews are the ones with problems, and they want/need to vent. Happy customers just enjoy their purchases. But still, reading some of the low reviews here makes you wonder: are those people for real? In my experience Honda is nothing but quality, quality and reliability. My wife and I bought our 2009 EX-L V6 accord with 44000 miles on it. The car drove like new from the dealer, and drives beautifully now, almost a year later. Everything works perfect, the doors close with a nice thud, the engine is smooth like butter. Steering is sooo precise, every switch and control operates with assurance. Seats are comfortable and we have no problem with brakes.

The engine is powerful, quiet and very smooth. 90% of the time I don't need to go above 2000 RPM to keep up with traffic. It nicely switches between 6 and 3 cylinders to save gas.

The only thing I wish for would be less road noise. The engine is nice and quiet, it's the tires on highway driving that could be quieter, in the city it's fine. Also I found the steering wheel a little bit "too hard", so I put a soft cover on it, with a more rubbery grip.

No more honda's for this family
By chicagotomtom

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Like many reviews before me on this site, we've owned honda's our whole life, and bought the 2009 V6 Accord based on our the value and reliability that Honda built is reputation on...well, we were thinking about buying the new Pilot to replace our 2002 CRV, but after our poor experience with the quality of our 2009 Accord, it's time to try another car manufacturer. Already have the rear disc brakes replaced due as a part of the class action lawsuit, the driver side lumber controls stopped working at 30k miles, and continue to have issues with the battery/starter. I had originally planned to drive the car into the ground like we've done with all our other honda's, but want to sell it now.

The V6 does perform well with 270 hp and solid gas mileage. Lots of room in the back seat for the kids/car seats, and was a good value (I thought).

Quality and reliability are no longer Honda's core competencies.

Shocked that I HATE this car
By jrs4682

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Accord and I hate it. I have replaced all 4 door locks, the lumbar control in the drivers seat, Airbag sensors. The seats are so uncomfortable, I cant drive more than 30 minutes without being in pain. I get car sick when I am riding in the passenger seat due to the road noise and feeling every bump. I have NEVER had a problem with my other Accords only this one but overall I am not happy with this purchase at all and I will be trading in ASAP.

3+ Years and 55,000 miles - The Good and the Bad
By markm1960

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Accord is well built with little or no rattles or squeaks. The brake issues have been well documented, I got over 22,000 miles on mine before replacement - most was covered by the class action suit. This vehicle drives very well but road noise is an issue. It handles well, especially around town. The headrests are slung too far forward for comfort, but I was able to adjust my seat more vertically to compensate. I have also worked the head rest back and forth and this has loosened it up a bit. The interior is refined and the controls are intuitive once I got the hang of them. Overall this is a very good car. I would be great with better noise control and a different head rest.

Running around town - this car handles very well for a larger sedan. The steering is solid, the transmission is very well mated to the engine. The car does not rattle and I still think the interior looks refined - the car is paid off and I see no reason to get rid of it. I plan to drive it for years to come.

Honda needs to make "road noise" reduction a priority, it is silly for a car this well made to be so noisy. They blew it on the brakes and I hope the lesson was learned. The seats are a bit stiff and the head rests were apparently designed by their corporate attorneys - with little chance of backlash and even less of achieving comfort. The ride can be a bit harsh but I am not sure I am willing to give up any handling to achieve a softer ride, we have lots of round-abouts and the Accord makes them fun to negotiate. The trunk is a bit small, especially with the arm bars, but I understand this is a concession to the Accord's unique suspension which I really like.