Used 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

2009 Accord EX-L 5M
By jodar96

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since Oct 2011 and 37K miles. It just turned 60K. It has been a great car with no issues. I do mostly highway driving with 35mpg as my best. Driving position is excellent. The seat comfort is not the best although the leather has less lower back seat bulge than cloth seat. Road/tire noise is excessive. For now, I blame it on original Michelin tires until I replace them in the next few months. I also bought a 2009 Mercedes E350 RWD with Sport/AMG package last summer. Driving these two cars back to back, Accord feels thin with high road noise. The E350 feels solid, smooth, and quiet. If I am pressed to keep one,I will keep the Accord for its simplicity and reliability.

Favorite Features

Driving Position. Feel of its leather steering wheel, Low cost and ease of maintenance. Excellent heater/AC. great sound system. build quality. Excellent gas mileage. Resale and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Uncomfortable lower seat back that pushes against the lower back. Road noise. Power steering pump whine that cost $500 to fix. Outside temp display should be a constant display instead of pushing the trip odometer multiple times to see it.

2009 Accord 4DR EXL 5M
By jodar96

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car in Nov 2010 with 37K miles. It currently has 54K miles. It looks and drives great. It consistently gets 34-36 mpg on highway driving at 70mph. The feel and ride are great. Road noise is excessive and unacceptable. I just bought a 2009 Mercedes RWD E350 Sport. The road noise between these two is like night and day. I have had zero issues with my Accord. No rattles and squeaks that some complain about. I do have the power steering whine that even at 40K mile, I was told it was not covered. It costs $500 to replace the power steering pump. The Michelin tires are original and have worn well and evenly. I will keep the Accords for several years to come.

Favorite Features

Driving Position, Handling, Gas Mileage, build, and excellent reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of USB port. Outside temp not constantly visibility. Have to push the trip odometer to see the outside temp.

Could Do Better
By CGS

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We picked the Honda because it was the least expensive car that gave us all of the features we wanted (standard, good size, leather, sun roof, good gas mileage, etc). I find it was more than a compromise for me and will look longer the next go around. I'm 56 and although my mind likes the idea of a standard, there's a reason 94% of cars nowadays are automatics (smile). I have a squeak in the steering column that annoying and my key fob is failing (all with very little use). The greatest drawback though is that the Accord is a lot noisier at highway speeds than it should be. I have six cars. This is the newest. And the noisiest. That shouldn't be in this day and age.

Favorite Features

Comfortable space inside cabin. Good gas mileage for a larger sedan. Fairly tight suspension for back road driving but back seat passengers complained it was too "bumpy" (they felt what I didn't). Sound and heating systems were adequate.

Suggested Improvements

A little too "plasticky". Bump up one notch like the older Accords. Much more outside noise control- a real drawback compared to the competition. The 4 cylinder standard is woefully underpowered in higher gears. I'd recommend splurging for the six as mileage is very close anyway.

Servicable car if you like the Seat
By EnvENGineer

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a long commute every day to work (85 miles one way) and have spent a great deal of time in this car. After only approx. 11+ months of ownership I am thinking about selling this vehicle. The lumbar support/active head restraint systems have created a seat that becomes extremely uncomfortable after a nominal drive, to the point of back pain. The gas mileage has been better than advertised (I get 27-28 vs 25). The aux jack is not in a great location (center console). The car always feels heavy and loses momentum quickly. The steering is crisp and the cabin is spacious. Exterior won't win any beauty contests and the dash is not pretty but overall a workhorse type car.

Favorite Features

monochromatic rear view mirror. Oil life gauge and maintenance-minder. large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

add a gear to the manual. Add more cushion to the seat and use a non-deformed human back as the standard when developing the ergonomics of the seat! Rework the dash and the radio display is slightly chintzy. Nose of car needs face lift/redesign

Warning, don't buy a Accord 08 or 09
By Brown

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I purchased to honda accords (2008 - 2dr coupe used) & (2009 4dr sedan new). Since the purchase date in Feb 09, I have had nothing but problems. 1) The tire pressure light keeps coming on 2) Muffler had to be replaced due to bad components 3) Both keyless entry remotes went out 4) Driver side seat lumbar support without was replaced 5) Rear brake pads wear out fast, replaced. 6) Tires don't stay balanced and aligned. Although all of these problems was covered by the dealership it's a shame that I have to take a new car in for repair "time after time". This is what you will have to look forward to in the years to come. Oh, the 08 coupe is no better! Warning don't buy Honda!

Favorite Features

XM radio, which can be installed any car!

Suggested Improvements

Let all Honda be build in Japan! Since Hondas started being build in the US they very poor in quality! I guess American build Honda will have to learn their lessons like the BIG 3 US auto makers!