Used 2009 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Reliable? No
By Martha Lamb

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 09 Honda Accord sedan because I wanted reliability, and I was willing to pay more up front to avoid the repairs that one expects from less reliable American made cars. When I bought my dealer certified Accord, it had 65000 miles and now it has 165000. During the time I've owned it I have had to replace the rear brakes, the drivers side window control, the entire air conditioning system, and now, the rack and pinion steering. I am bitterly disappointed with this cat and will NOT purchase another Honda.

Our 4th and last Accord Coupe, and our last Honda
By bass56

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned 4 Accord Coupe's starting in 1999. All purchased new and each new model has been progressively worse, in quiet , comfort and reliability. I am fastidious about car maintenance and the detail of maintenance of this Accord has been excellent. The car is noisey and has rattles . The braking system has been nothing short of unreliable. All brakes and rotors have been replaced 2x and now it appears as if we must replace a brake caliper... it is locking up on us after short trips. We have also replaced wheel bearings and have had an on going oil problem. This oil problem is related to the same issues that prompted the class action suit.

Looks and acceleration.

One does not purcahse a Honda and expect the aforementioned issues. We have owned 7 Honda's in our family and can state unequivically that this trend will end with our next purchase. It is only because of an excellent mechanic that we endure this car. He discovered the oil issue long before the action suit. After changing the oil ( when the change oil indicator came on, as most Honda customers do) he changed the oil , checked the dipstick and stated, this new oil already has carbon in it. We now change the oil every 3k and check the level between changes. Not the Honda recomended 5-7.5 k. This car must have been built on a Monday with all Chinese supplied parts and engineering.

2009 Accord EX-L 5M
By jodar96

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since Oct 2011 and 37K miles. It just turned 60K. It has been a great car with no issues. I do mostly highway driving with 35mpg as my best. Driving position is excellent. The seat comfort is not the best although the leather has less lower back seat bulge than cloth seat. Road/tire noise is excessive. For now, I blame it on original Michelin tires until I replace them in the next few months. I also bought a 2009 Mercedes E350 RWD with Sport/AMG package last summer. Driving these two cars back to back, Accord feels thin with high road noise. The E350 feels solid, smooth, and quiet. If I am pressed to keep one,I will keep the Accord for its simplicity and reliability.

Driving Position. Feel of its leather steering wheel, Low cost and ease of maintenance. Excellent heater/AC. great sound system. build quality. Excellent gas mileage. Resale and reliability.

Uncomfortable lower seat back that pushes against the lower back. Road noise. Power steering pump whine that cost $500 to fix. Outside temp display should be a constant display instead of pushing the trip odometer multiple times to see it.

2009 Accord 4DR EXL 5M
By jodar96

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car in Nov 2010 with 37K miles. It currently has 54K miles. It looks and drives great. It consistently gets 34-36 mpg on highway driving at 70mph. The feel and ride are great. Road noise is excessive and unacceptable. I just bought a 2009 Mercedes RWD E350 Sport. The road noise between these two is like night and day. I have had zero issues with my Accord. No rattles and squeaks that some complain about. I do have the power steering whine that even at 40K mile, I was told it was not covered. It costs $500 to replace the power steering pump. The Michelin tires are original and have worn well and evenly. I will keep the Accords for several years to come.

Driving Position, Handling, Gas Mileage, build, and excellent reliability.

Lack of USB port. Outside temp not constantly visibility. Have to push the trip odometer to see the outside temp.

VCM (variable cylinder managment) misfire, engine light flashing
By jarred

2009 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm posting this review for those who had problems with the VCM/engine misfire. It happened to us last week. Without a warning the car started stuttering and the flashing engine light came on. It sounded to me like a timing/sparkplugs problem. We found some scary info about class action suit against Honda due to the engine design problem. Took it to Honda dealer. They replaced 4 out of 6 sparkplugs and updated the car software. I talked to the shop foreman (yes, you have to insist on it, though the reception girl will first tell you that mechanics don't talk to customers, WHY??). This is what the foreman told me:

1. this happens when you do a lot of highway driving (true, we recently came from 1000 mile road trip through MT, ID and BC). As you drive on a highway (as opposed to city) the car stays in ECO mode a lot. That is "unbalanced stress on the cylinders" (my wording) when 4 cylinders do all the work and 2 are resting. Yes ECO is 4, not 3 cylinders he told me. 2. The updated software takes care of that by periodically turning on all of the cylinders (even if they don't have to work) to keep things balanced, or as he put it: to give the cylinders a chance to clear. BTW, there is no problem with VSA. it's just when engine misfires VSA cannot work. so the VSA sign flashes on dashboard too.

3. sparkplugs in 2009 accord V6 need to be changed every 100,000 miles anyways, we were coming on to 70,000 miles. So our sparkplugs failed a little early, due to the extra stress of the ECO mode. 4. Coils were fine. I'm considering carrying and couple of sparkplugs with us on long trips, since once the flashing engine light comes on you shouldn't drive or the catalytic convertor could get damaged-although I trust that the software updated takes care of the issue. However I'm also intending on "helping the engine" by putting occasional stepping on the gas and then breaking, to take it out of the ECO mode on long highway stretches. ok, I hope this helps somebody.