Used 2008 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-speed manual
By carlostnc65

2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car two years ago used with 71,000 miles. - Avg 25 mpg good for its time and size car. - I have not warmed up to the VTEC engine, all the power up top is great for a performance car, not so great for a family car. The car has three definitive power curves, 1000-3500 rpm for tooling around, 3500-5000 rpm for brisk acceleration like a freeway on ramp, then 5000-7200 rpm for all out pull. For what it is, in that top rev range, it has great power but waiting to get there is tiresome. - The car rides great and its obvious this car is well balanced for the front driver, but get in a curve with uneven pavement and you find the damping to be too soft and the car pitch uncontrol

Appearance - To each his/her own but I love it, inside and out. Size/Comfort - It is the perfect size car to me, big enough to fit five full size adults, without feeling like a limo. Features - This car is welled optioned with leather interior, sunroof, upgraded stereo, and still has a manual transmission! The double click and hold feature on the unlock button of the key remote opening all the windows and sunroof is great in the summer. The courtesy light is a great feature at night as well, lighting the interior of the car. It has to be the best sounding four cylinder on the road.

Transmission - Good gate feel but doesn't like to be rushed between gears. First to second under hard acceleration almost requires a double clutch to get it to shift. The ultimate sin, the gears are to spread out to keep the engine in its top power band. Build Quality and Reliability - Hard to believe this car wears a Honda badge. VTC failed first, then I noticed the car would use a quart of oil every 700 miles. I had to replace the engine due to a known piston ring issue that Honda would not fix. Add rattles, hanging trim, and fading switches and my daughter's 2007 Jeep Compass with same size engine has proven to be a much better built car. I can't believe it.

The Biggest Mistake of my Life
By mostinfamous3

2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I brought this car Oct 07 brand new with 28 miles. Today I'm sitting in pure frustration as my car now needs a 3rd timing chain replacement and no Honda Tech can expain to me why my car keeps needing timing chains, first it was the rear brake pad issue, then it was the ridiculously small battery issue, this care is a money pit. I've spent over $3500 this year just to keep transportation to work. This will be my last Honda ever..hate it too, I've been loyal to Honda since '85

Autostart.

Reliability.

Great car! Big & nimble!
By Seattle

2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Family outgrew our excellent Mazda3. Settled on 4cyl Accord EX-L manual transmission. Unbelievable fuel economy! Got 500 miles out of 1 tank. Who needs a hybrid when this thing gets 33-35 mpg on the hwy! Car is huge, yet drives 'smaller' than it is. Great steering, clutch & shifter. Better fit and finish than our 2004 Pilot by a long shot! No regrets so far! Rear brake issue was researched prior to purchase and has not been a problem (21,000 miles on the car). Car could use a 6th gear but the shifter action is sublime. I have owned several Hondas including 2 S2000's and this is the best one yet.

Room! Road manners. Steering, clutch and shifter are perfect! Amazing fuel economy with decent power from 4 cylinders.Great fit and finish!

Some 'overrun' on the drive-by-wire throttle that takes getting used to. A 6th gear on the manual transmission would be nice as it's too wide of gap between 4th and 5th gear. Some 'coarseness' and tire noise on worn concrete freeways. No Bluetooth or Homelink on a EX-L? Get real Honda!

Vtech solenoid & Motor problems
By Boyoboy

2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

At 30,000 km I started having issues burning through oil, oil light came on & not a stitch of oil was left - this after 2 months of having a certified Honda dealer change the oil. Took it to the dealer 2X before they found the problem - the piston rings had ceased. Also, the vtech solenoid had to be changed. Note to those having oil problems - there is a bulletin about a faulty solenoid on the 2008 so fight the dealership to get it replaced. Our solenoid was replaced and they repaired the pistons, honing out the cylinders - not at all confident that this car is now safe for me to drive with my children sitting in the back. It should've been replaced. Still fighting that battle.

Dealership Bulletins: Having burning oil issues: vtech solenoid needs replacing. Manual transmission hard to shift or grinds in 3rd, may pop out: faulty synchronizer or shift sleeve. Recall on the hood latch - get yours replaced before the hood flies open and smashes your windshield.

Happy Honda Ride
By CCSLVR

2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to get a nice sedan with a standard shift. The Accord EX-L 5- speed fit the bill. I enjoy driving the car each and every day (even to work). The 4 cylinder engine is just right for quick acceleration and highway cruising. I get 25 MPG in mixed driving and 31 MPG on the highway. The ownership experience has been excellent. Dealer service is done with a smile.

The smooth 5-speed manual keeps me connected with the car. XM radio is great for adults and teenage sons. They like the AUX plug for their i-Pod. My son's size 15 feet fit in the back seat with lots of room. Ergonomics are perfect for me (6') and my wife (5'2")

Radio/HVAC has too many buttons - dials would be nice.