Used 2008 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great Car Overall
By chiney_whale

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Honda as a more affordable alternative to an Audi A5 and BMW 3 (now 4)Series coupe. The exterior of this car is sharp (especially in the Belize Blue Pearl). The exterior design has aged very well. The interior design has aged very well and I find the button layout to be very logical. I was surprised to see so much hard plastic on the dash at this price range ($30k +), but visually it looks good. The car has way too much road noise however. The car has a taunt but comfortable ride, which gives it a sporty premium feel I like. The engine has tons of power once your hit 3000 rpm, but below that its pretty gutless. Fuel economy is right in line with EPA estimates.

The cylinder deactivation is pretty cool. The auto V6 can cut off 2 or 3 of its cylinders when cruising to save gas. An ECO light illuminates whenever its activated; however, it doesn't tell you whether your running on 4 or 3 cylinders. I love the v6! Its powerful once you get over 3000 rpm and sounds great. The car has a spacious trunk and a surprising amount of legroom for rear passengers. The rear seats fold down (only as one piece) which allows it to be pretty handy for the fun to Home Depot or Lowes.

My reliability on this car hasn't been up to the standards I expected of Honda. The car has very weak brakes, which causes premature wear and warping of the pads and rotors. There is a TSB out for this. Also, my cylinder 3 spark plug needed to be replaced three times in less than 100k miles b/c of a defect in the cylinder deactivation system that causes oil to get on the spark plug. There is a TSB out for this, which requires the ECU to be re-flashed to change the way the deactivation system works. Other than reliability, Honda needs to invest in more sound deadening and increase cabin technology (the infotainment graphics are severely dated).

Owned many Hondas, second Accord
By 4grandsons

2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2008 Accord EX-L sedan, 4-cyl, 5-speed automatic new in March 2008. It now has 130,000 miles on it and has been just a reliable as the 2002 Accord EX I had previously. Had the rear brakes replaced with the "new" Honda brake pads and have not had any issues. While it is not the perfect car, it has been very reliable, just like the 2002 was before. Had the complete service done at 105,000 miles and it runs like new. Not the quietest car, but the right tires make all the difference when it comes to road noise. I cannot justify replacing it, it runs too well.

Good all around car without a lot of the bells and whistles of similar models from the same model year. Dual zone A/C, automatic headlights, and moonroof are favorite features.

Despite the active noise cancelling system, this car is noisy, but the right tires help with the road noise tremendously. Seats are not very comfortable, especially for long trips. No Bluetooth or seat/mirror memory, but this now available on newer models.

Love my Honda accord 08
By Luis Gerardo Cervantes

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I don't have any problems with this accord love the way it drives have Hondas since I was 16 years old now I'm 32 and keep buying Honda and Acura I'm in love wit) this cars

2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4cyl 5-speed manual
By carlostnc65

2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car two years ago used with 71,000 miles. - Avg 25 mpg good for its time and size car. - I have not warmed up to the VTEC engine, all the power up top is great for a performance car, not so great for a family car. The car has three definitive power curves, 1000-3500 rpm for tooling around, 3500-5000 rpm for brisk acceleration like a freeway on ramp, then 5000-7200 rpm for all out pull. For what it is, in that top rev range, it has great power but waiting to get there is tiresome. - The car rides great and its obvious this car is well balanced for the front driver, but get in a curve with uneven pavement and you find the damping to be too soft and the car pitch uncontrol

Appearance - To each his/her own but I love it, inside and out. Size/Comfort - It is the perfect size car to me, big enough to fit five full size adults, without feeling like a limo. Features - This car is welled optioned with leather interior, sunroof, upgraded stereo, and still has a manual transmission! The double click and hold feature on the unlock button of the key remote opening all the windows and sunroof is great in the summer. The courtesy light is a great feature at night as well, lighting the interior of the car. It has to be the best sounding four cylinder on the road.

Transmission - Good gate feel but doesn't like to be rushed between gears. First to second under hard acceleration almost requires a double clutch to get it to shift. The ultimate sin, the gears are to spread out to keep the engine in its top power band. Build Quality and Reliability - Hard to believe this car wears a Honda badge. VTC failed first, then I noticed the car would use a quart of oil every 700 miles. I had to replace the engine due to a known piston ring issue that Honda would not fix. Add rattles, hanging trim, and fading switches and my daughter's 2007 Jeep Compass with same size engine has proven to be a much better built car. I can't believe it.

It is still a good value.
By capeangler

2008 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2008 Ex-l v-6 . 80000 miles. I have had none of the reported problems in the 18 months I have had this car. The v-6 Accord has great power but the mileage is no where near the EPA estimate. I get 18-22 city and 25-26 highway. The cylinder deactivation seems smooth but I feel the effect on Mpg is minimal. The only thing I had to do was replace the heater motor which I have done on every Honda I have owned, and there has been several. I have to say that the lexus is a much more quiet and refined car but it is also quite a bit more expensive. I would have bought the Es 350 If I had driven it before I purchased the Honda. My mechanic says Honda and Toyota are bad for his business. Enough said

Power, xm radio. Huge rear seat. lots of room.

Could be quieter. Transmission could shift smoother.