2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
A Car Enthusiast's Hybrid
By Southern Oregonian on 10/31/05 16:20 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

The days of choosing between a fuel-efficient "pregnant rollerskate" and a car that passes everything but a gas station are over. The Accord Hybrid nicely packages performance with fuel economy. The exceptional marriage of the vaunted 3.0L V- TEC V6 engine with an electric motor is definitely the vehicle's mechanical strength. This is Honda's third-generation IMA project, and it shows far greater refinement than its predecessors. My primary concern rests with Accord's standard automatic transmission. It surely contributes to the vehicle's "smoothness," but my tranny can be finicky. It waits too long to shift at times and can create a pause-and-burst sensation between first and second gears.

Was hoping for better mileage
By sully on 10/27/05 12:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Car is excellent, however I was really hoping for better gas mileage... roughly around 33.5-34 in mostly highway driving. Bought it when gas hit 3.50/gal for premium - I do like that it takes regular gas. I drive a TON (I expect to put 25K miles/yr on it), so I hope it loosens out some (just bought it 3 weeks ago)... dumped an Audi S4, so it's a 'different' car than what I'm used to...

No spare tire
By jill on 10/21/05 06:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I also was surprised to learn that this car does not come w/ a spare tire. I went to a used tire place and purchased a full size spare /used rim for $85. I am wondering if this heavy tire will affect my gas mileage. I plan on only using it for long distance trips. Also was disappointed that I had to purchase the compass/ auto diming rear view mirror...think it should have been standard on a $30K car! Love the satellite radio and the car drives really smooth. So far the mileage indicator has been 32 at the highest number, 28 lowest. Fun to drive, really quiet. Very comfortable.

After 15000 miles
By undertoad on 10/12/05 23:59 PM (PDT)

My first review was in May @ 1000 miles. In September did a long haul tour (26 states and Canada). Overall in all kinds of driving conditions we averaged 33+ MPG (city, mountains, heavy traffic, open road). I have a JPEG foto of the Nav Information Screen; 9/22-9/22 Trip - 480miles Elapsed Time - 6:27 Average Fuel Consumption - 38.7 MPG Average Speed - 74.6 MPH Nav sys is fine for working around unfamiliar metro areas. When you have local knowledge you see that many suggested routes are crude, round about, and just plain wrong. Lot of out-dated data in the NAV database. Local post office moved 10 years ago but still in old location.

Inadequate provision for flats
By warren anderson on 10/03/05 22:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

The Honda Accord EX Hybrid has no spare tire. It has fluid and a pump for holding the tire for a limited period of time until it can be fixed. The replacement fluid at the dealers is $100 for about a quart. Apparently they do not plan to sell much of it. The best choice, it seems to me, is to buy a utility spare for about $140 and put it in an already small trunk. I don't know that I would have bought the car had I known this at the time. It is something I should have asked about, but I had no idea that a major manufacturer and dealership would have such inadequate means for dealing with flat tires and at such a high price. Blowouts require a tow.

Newbie
By hybrider on 10/02/05 12:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Was offered below MSRP price which brought it in range with the loaded Accord non-hybrid version. With tax break it will end up about the same as a regular Accord. Didn't want the nav package as I don't like dedicated PC like hardware in a car. It becomes obsolete too fast. It is very comfortable to drive for both city and highway Nice power when you want it. So far my gas mileage for the highway has been around 27 mpg highway. My lead foot is probably the issue. Because of the deal I got I can't complain. Gonna get a real spare though!

1st one to buy
By David on 10/02/05 08:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I bought my car on 2/18/05 (who can top that)and got a great deal. The experiance have been great and since that time i have put 11k miles on it due the fact that i drive practiclely all day 6day a week. The best city was 25mpg and highway 39mpg. I love when I stop and it switches to electric... complete silence.. The speed is excellent, and i had to prove that to a few drivers who want to test me. luv it

Cape
By Jake on 09/30/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

Awsome car, best mileage is keeping it on the highway. Average/ normal gas mileage around town. When you need power this is a rocketship! Lots of creature features on this baby too!

Still a love affair
By Barbara Fullerton on 09/29/05 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Yesterday was our 10 month anniversary of this love affair. At 15,000 km, its converted mileage is about 27 mpg in city commute of 15 km (9 miles) and 40 stoplights. Highway driving, using the Edmunds' suggestions in AOL review (no lead foot, auto speed control,etc) and keeping an eye on my "eco" zone signal, we get about 37.5 mpg. My earlier review should have reported we use about 9 litres (city) and 6.5 litres (highway) per 100 km driven. This American in Canada reversed km and litres in earlier report. Figures are from dash indicators for gas useage per tank. Real calculations show 700-800 km per 54 litres (32-36 mpg)in mixed driving. (Approximate only:litres do not quite = quarts)

A Honda family
By Robert fochtman on 09/14/05 16:39 PM (PDT)

I own a 2002 Honda Accord V-6. My wife had a 2002 BMW 225. We replaced the BMW with a Honda Accord Hybrid. So far we have had a very positive experience with the new hybrid. Our driving has been expressway/city street and we have averaged 32 plus miles per gallon. On the expressway we seem to get about 36 MPG. Love the car.