2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Efficiency?
By mky05 on 12/28/05 19:06 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Our initial reaction to this car has been serious disappointment at the poor fuel economy. After 8k miles we're averaging slightly over 26mpg, certainly nothing impressive. On a positive note the car is quite fast and a serious improvement for day to day driving when compared to the early model prius and insight we've also owned. Still we bought it with expectations it'd be fuel efficient for our mostly highway driving. It hasn't lived up. Prius in the future

Problems
By Dale Ransdell on 12/28/05 17:20 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

The vehicle was purchased and we immediately went on a 10000 mile trip. Car performed well with gas mileage of 27-35+ depending on wind and terrain. The problem with the shift to drive 3 was occasional and I would prefer to have the auto headlight feature. One problem was the short visor, with the sun coming from the drivers side the short visor was inadequate to block the sun. Needs a visor extender to cover the window width. After the trip the car suddenly lost the good gas mileage and dropped to 22-25. We took it in for a checkup and they said they did nothing but the mileage is now 26-30 with over 12000 miles on the vehicle. There is vibration at low gear from the elect/gas shift

Nice, but Somewhat Over-rated
By rick on 12/26/05 22:15 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Fun to drive, great mileage on the highway, but in town, it is overrated. I get about 24 in town. Nav feature is great and with the exception of a few new subdivisions, it has exceeded expectations. Mine just got recalled for electric motor battery problems.

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid
By stlmo57 on 12/22/05 17:59 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I have about 4,200 miles on my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. After getting 31 mpg on my 1st full tank, I was anxious to see it improve to around 36 mpg as it was broke-in and I figured out how to drive it to get the optimun mpg. So far, after nearly 3 months I am very disappointed, the mpg has actually retreated to about 25 to 26. At this rate, it was not worth the premium. Cold weather appears to have an impact. I am pleased with the handling and acceleration. Overall, not the feel of luxury I had when I purchased my 2002 Maxima Nissan GLE new.

a hybrid super car
By thomas mudd on 12/22/05 11:23 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

My Honda Accord Hybrid has performed admirably and as expected. On two long trips, one to Florida and another to Oklahoma City, it averaged between 41 and 42 mpg while driving between 60 and 65 mph. In city driving I accelerate moderately with smooth throttle imputs. City mileage has averaged between 24 and 28 mpg. Overall mileage is above 35 mpg. Performance is spectacular for such a fuel-conserving car, especially strong torque at lower speeds. Only problem in the first almost 16,000 miles was a defective left rearview mirrow that was quickly replaced under warranty.

Wonderful car
By Keith Lefevre on 12/13/05 04:32 AM (PST)

I test drove this car, plus the '05 Acura TL, and the '05 Honda Civic Hybrid. I immediately dropped the Civic because I wanted more performance, interior room, and luxury feel. The TL was great! I was close to getting it. What pushed me over the fence to get the Accord instead was it's fuel economy. In the past 5,500 miles, I've averaged 27 city, 39 hwy, and once I even got 48 MPG! I love this car and would recommend it to anybody. The suspension is smooth, yet sporty. The power is awesome. Handling is great. Very quiet ride. All controls are easily reached. Fit and finish are excellent. I even love the color! I would buy this car all over again if I had to.

Powerful but expectted better mpg
By mball on 11/28/05 18:24 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Drives nice. A little bit of a jerk on initial acceleration. Roomy and comfortable. Gas mileage much less than expected. Fun to drive.

V6 Power; V4 MPG
By JLAnderson on 11/27/05 12:15 PM (PST)

This was an impulse buy -- was getting my 03 Accord LX serviced, saw this car on display, smelled the leather and was sold. Am averaging about 35 mpg -- here's how I do it: When the green "eco" light comes on at the desired speed, I hit "cruise" and stay there. I'm trying to get rid of a heavy foot. If you want to drive this like the performance sedan it is, hitting on all 6 cylinders, you're going to see lower mileage. It's that simple. Don't drive like a nut, and you'll be rewarded. This is truly a great car; I've been driving Accords for almost 20 years and this is the best by far. Trust me.

Great Buy
By swingdj on 11/16/05 14:05 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Up to 45 mpg hwy, 35 city. If you drive it like a maniac, you'll get poor mileage like any other car. If you drive more conservatively, you'll get better mileage like any other car, it's all relative. Overall, we're getting about 30 mpg, mostly city, but I can go more than 600 miles on a 17- gallon tank on pure hwy miles. In cold weather it does take a few miles for the electric motor to warm up. Very comfortable and reliable.

My Accord
By Charles Brock on 11/09/05 07:53 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

The major downside for me was the realization that this is a "performance" car, not a fuel economy car. It gets 23 to 25 mpg in town and 32-34 on the hwy. Good performance, not the economy I assumed hybrids would get. I love the performance, the power of acceleration, the fact that at idle the engine shuts down. At 6 ft. 3 inches, I have plenty of head room. I love the car and am very happy with it.