2005 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Unrefined tech added to a good car
By Kevin McMurtrie on 03/01/06 18:06 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

The 2005 Accord Hybrid suffers from unrefined technology. I nearly lemon-lawed the car because the engine malfunction lamp flashed at full throttle. Only a recent software update fixed it. Glacial transmission downshifting makes it a real drag to drive on winding roads. Various electronic systems seem to be prone to glitches and odd behavior. This car is barely a hybrid because the electric motor is rarely used for acceleration. Its primary function seems to be as a virtual flywheel during 3- cylinder operation and a power source for the hybrid A/C. The non-hybrid portions are what you'd expect from Honda. The car is quiet, refined, comfortable, and handles decently.

Great Car
By Bobby Scott on 02/19/06 21:17 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Great car to drive...brakes are still good as new despite having over 45,000 miles on the car. I love to drive this car. The power is awesome!

get real mileage
By gb on 02/19/06 13:37 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

All the discussion about mileage on the hybrid is settled easily. If you drive about 55 or 60 for Hwy, you will get near the EPA results. If you drive 80, you'll get around 31 mpg. In the city I 've found I get pretty close to epa of 27. If you mix city/hwy like most drivers, look for around 31 mpg. when you actually measure it on a fill up. I am getting about 7 mpg better than my '03 Accord and for me that's a good deal. Don't buy this car expecting great mileage but do buy it for good mileage, great performance, great re-sale, great reliability and a host of other reasons!

As Expected
By RJ on 02/02/06 14:52 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I've put 9000 miles on my Accord so far, and it has been exactly what I expected. Many of these reviews have talked about the mileage, I'm not sure what they expected from a car with 250+ HP. I get 22-27 in the city depending on traffic and season. I take frequent long road trips and drive about 70 MPH on average, and get about 35 MPG...if I drove 60 I'd probably be closer to 40 MPG. When I drive the car I feel like I am driving a well built quality machine. The sound system is very good. Bottom line is you get reliablity, comfort, and muscle, while getting better than average MPG, esp compared to other cars with this much HP.

A good car, except
By Cyrus Griffin on 01/23/06 18:40 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Honda has always built good cars. And this Accord is no different. Except the mileage rating on the hybrid accord is way out of balance with the actual. The best I have been able to attain, with careful driving, is 7 to 10 miles per gallon less than advertised. For a major car manufacturer of hybrids this is very bad.

Disappointed in Honda
By drm on 01/21/06 22:34 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Ordinary driving yields mediocre milage, low 20s suburban, upper 20s highway. You must learn to drive this vehicle differently to get better, but still well below EPA sticker, milage. Very slow acceleration, constant use of cruise control, etc. The electric package is so small that it almost never is used. The major economy comes from shutting off 3 cylinders in cruise, but the transition between 3 and 6 cylinders to too sensitive. Even a 2% grade will kick it back to 6 cylinders, and pressing on the accelerator ever so slightly will do the same thing. Having driven a Prius, I'm disappointed in Honda. A nice sedan, well made, but the hybrid package is a disappointing misfit.

Happy with Honda
By RLB on 01/13/06 11:49 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Great to drive, plenty of power when needed & great fuel economy.

great compromise
By mrmiles on 01/03/06 15:21 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

This car has been a great compromise between mileage and power. I drive 600+ miles per week, and the average 40% improvement in mileage over my previous sedan is significant, particularly considering the HAH has 10 more hp. Factor in that the HAH takes regular gas, not premium, and I am very happy with the economics of the change. I've had a few design/build quality issues, but nothing significant. If you're looking for amazing mileage, go with the Civic or Prius. If you like to get good mileage and still have considerable muscle to flex, this is a great choice.

Best vehicle I've had
By NY driver in AZ on 12/28/05 19:29 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

On the road, going up the "mountain", it is better than my 5.0 Mustang or my Avalon were. In town, it gets as good mileage as my Civic EX did. Everyone who rides in it remarks about the comfort and room. Quiet and a pleasure to drive on the road; mileage great until you get to 80+.

Efficiency?
By mky05 on 12/28/05 19:06 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Our initial reaction to this car has been serious disappointment at the poor fuel economy. After 8k miles we're averaging slightly over 26mpg, certainly nothing impressive. On a positive note the car is quite fast and a serious improvement for day to day driving when compared to the early model prius and insight we've also owned. Still we bought it with expectations it'd be fuel efficient for our mostly highway driving. It hasn't lived up. Prius in the future