2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Great combination of power and fuel economy
By clintonk on 03/15/14 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

This is not your average fuel sipping hybrid. In order to see the fuel savings don't use the horsepower and stay at or below the speed limit. Also, unlike other hybrids, this car excels on the highway. With a trip in ohio from east to west with 51 miles rural highway and 84 miles interstate, I averaged 45.1 miles per gallon at the speed limits posted. town mileage with short trips less than 5 miles average 17-20 mpg and urban traffic is around 30. In November 2013 the IMA light started coming on with 135,000 miles I took it to the local dealer for a diagnostic, Battery Deterioration plus an update for the Hybrid system. the update has prevented the IMA from coming on since the update.

2005 Accord hybrid
By oladipo on 02/28/14 01:49 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I bought this car since 2012 and I have had no major issue with it except for ABS and TCS sensor. This was fixed and after which no issue except of recent this year having issue with driver/passenger door lock which does not respond the lock/unlock by the remote. I will try and fix it myself but if I have difficulties fixing it I will contact the electrician. Another issue I constantly observe is the check engine light that constantly comes on...I have discussed this with my mechanic, he attributes it to the 02 sensor read from the OBDII( catalytic converter below threshhold). However, another Mechanic said I do not have to worry about that because a bad fuel can trigger that.

IMA Battery
By bjuicy on 08/31/13 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used. It was a smooth driving and comfortable vehicle. Good gas mileage and then the IMA Hybrid battery goes out and that's when the problems began. I just want to inform the consumers of the cost the will be out of their pocket if by chance the electric battery goes out. You are looking at about 3500 to 4500 at a dealership to replace the battery. If you look online they are starting at 1600. Also just know these cars are designed to where you can only take it to the dealership to get any service done on them and even then a lot of the technician at the dealership don't even have the knowledge to diagnose or even work on these vehicles to fix the problems.

Why Did I Buy This Car?
By lebloom on 02/23/13 10:36 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Wanted a better car for the MPG's and thought a Hybrid was it. Was I ever wrong. Now have over 200k on it and the transmission has a noise coming from it and am told it has to be replaced, and they WON'T repair it! The ride is not the best and it never was Quiet to drive at all.

05 Accord Hybrid
By lorenzos1 on 12/26/12 16:15 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

140 000 miles and still rolling. Regular oil changes and recommended maintenance by the dealer (105 000 miles:belts, water pump etc... new Yokohama's at 115000 miles) and no problems. 27 mpg city and 37mpg hwy is possible but I average around 29mpg combined. This car has been a pleasant surprise to own. No drama.., smooth, quiet and dependable.

Got suckered in
By lexlaser on 03/26/11 20:07 PM (PDT)

Bought this car used 10 mos ago. Was told we would get about 40 mpg. Boy were we suckered! Averages about 17 mpg in town and the best hwy mileage was about 28. Complained to dealer and was told (after the fact) that Honda only made this hybrid for a couple of years and that it was a 'disappointment' so they quit making it. Wish we were told that before we bought it! Was told if I drove it 'like a little old lady' I would probably get better mileage. I swear they said that! Car tends to vibrate loudly upon deceleration after driving several miles. No more Hondas for us. Don't get suckered....ask questions about mileage! I sure miss my Ford!

Performace Car Update
By Lin Red on 05/11/10 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Reviewed in Dec 06 and now providing an update. The car has definitely lived up to Honda quality and reliability. I use Michelin Pilot PS2 tires on 17" wheels during the summer and the ride quality and handling is tremendous for an Accord. I haven't had any problems, but the dealer did recommend I replace the rear brake pads at 30k miles. As many have noted the gas mileage is not as high as expected but it is still excellent for a 6-cylinder car. I get 23-24 mpg in city and 34-37 in the highway. Setting the cruise control at 65 mph gives the best mpg. I paid a low price for a new car 4 years ago and it was well worth the money.

Reliability & joy
By Super auto on 01/10/10 12:53 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I have driven this auto for 46,000 moles with most of it in town but have two trips of over 2,000 mile each time from here to Galvestan, Texas. On each trip to Galvestan I usually drove at 70-80 mph . The car holds road excellent and still has power to pass in excess of this speed when necessary. I had trouble with a humming noise while driving. Had installed a canceling kit which cost me $600 on August 2008. I've had no mechanical problems or body work done. I am keeping written evidence of purchases of gas for the past 12,000 miles and getting about 36 mpg on highway and 25-30 in town. I wish Honda still made Accord Hybrids. Over all I have not owned a better car than this one!

Rocket! Hidden Monster.
By Anthony on 06/29/09 12:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

When people seek Hybrid, they want 40+MPG. This car will not give you that. What it gives you is the Legendary Honda reliability, no non- sense practicality, and utmost dynamic performance. My previous car was a BMW 325i, and aside from being FWD, the Accord performs up to par with the German Counterpart. Steering is tight, acceleration is quick, but cornering have to give it to BMW due to the RWD configuration. Only problem I had with the Honda was a Master Pwr Door lock module which was covered under warranty, and a check engine light on when I gun the accelerator. Dealership said it was a Hybrid sensor error with the electrical motor, it seems a software upgrade fixed that problem.

Love my new hybrid!
By Selina on 06/23/09 15:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Just bought a used Accord Hybrid! I love it so far. Averaging 33 mpg. Handles great and has awesome brakes. Love having the 255hp when I need it, and the hybrid components when I don't!