Used 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Excellent reliability, only downside is overrated MPG
By tvtruong

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I've have this car for over 8 years. I bought it from a dealership after it was returned from a 2 years lease. In the 8 years and 150k km (about 100k miles) that I've put on it, here are my review. It is an extremely reliable car. I've done all the routine maintenance on it. I've only need to take the car in twice outside of routine maintenance. Totally just under $1k over a period of 8 years. Routine maintenance cost another $2k. Interior design have an old rich man feel to it, and outside design are very plain. Power delivery is awesome and smooth. The OEM tires can't really be used in the winter. It design for low rolling resistance. Overall a great car.

Air conditioner and heater start up extremely fast. Power of a V8 with fuel economy of a I4. Again it was extremely reliable I am at 234k km now ( about 150k miles) with just $1k of unschedule maintenance. Ride is quite, smooth, and compliant. Fuel economy, while overrated, still provide me with cost saving. Engine auto stop provide for a quite time at the stop light. Awesome highway cruising.

The OEM tire are useless in the winter. The radio/entertainment system does not have a line in and replacing it cost about $600 just for parts. Interior and exterior design are very plain. The overrated fuel economy when I bought it. EPA eventually updated their rating, which is more accurate.

Great combination of power and fuel economy
By clintonk

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

This is not your average fuel sipping hybrid. In order to see the fuel savings don't use the horsepower and stay at or below the speed limit. Also, unlike other hybrids, this car excels on the highway. With a trip in ohio from east to west with 51 miles rural highway and 84 miles interstate, I averaged 45.1 miles per gallon at the speed limits posted. town mileage with short trips less than 5 miles average 17-20 mpg and urban traffic is around 30. In November 2013 the IMA light started coming on with 135,000 miles I took it to the local dealer for a diagnostic, Battery Deterioration plus an update for the Hybrid system. the update has prevented the IMA from coming on since the update.

Heated leather seats, Ride comfort. All interstate mileage is wonderful, at a normal average of 38 mpg. Great passing power to get away from people that don't know how to merge onto the interstate. We bought it used in 2011, We have saved over $500 a year in gas versus our old V-6 that was 2 years newer.

Disconnect the ANC. that is what causes the Rumbling noise that everyone complains about. It is a green/red wire under the driver side dash. Youtube it. it will save your ears and sanity. be careful to cut and ground the correct one. I do not regret buying this car and would do it again!!!

2005 Accord hybrid
By oladipo

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I bought this car since 2012 and I have had no major issue with it except for ABS and TCS sensor. This was fixed and after which no issue except of recent this year having issue with driver/passenger door lock which does not respond the lock/unlock by the remote. I will try and fix it myself but if I have difficulties fixing it I will contact the electrician. Another issue I constantly observe is the check engine light that constantly comes on...I have discussed this with my mechanic, he attributes it to the 02 sensor read from the OBDII( catalytic converter below threshhold). However, another Mechanic said I do not have to worry about that because a bad fuel can trigger that.

IMA Battery
By bjuicy

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used. It was a smooth driving and comfortable vehicle. Good gas mileage and then the IMA Hybrid battery goes out and that's when the problems began. I just want to inform the consumers of the cost the will be out of their pocket if by chance the electric battery goes out. You are looking at about 3500 to 4500 at a dealership to replace the battery. If you look online they are starting at 1600. Also just know these cars are designed to where you can only take it to the dealership to get any service done on them and even then a lot of the technician at the dealership don't even have the knowledge to diagnose or even work on these vehicles to fix the problems.

Smooth ride and the speed

Be more informative to your consumers about the cost and problems they can run into when the IMA battery goes out.

Why Did I Buy This Car?
By lebloom

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

Wanted a better car for the MPG's and thought a Hybrid was it. Was I ever wrong. Now have over 200k on it and the transmission has a noise coming from it and am told it has to be replaced, and they WON'T repair it! The ride is not the best and it never was Quiet to drive at all.

Nothing special in this car at all. The hybrib motor maybe.

Need a better transmission for one and better ride.