Glad to be back with Honda
By scottwax on
2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl 5A)
I had a 1990 Accord for several years, sold it with 280k miles, current owner works at a tire store near me so I know it still runs! After the Accord, I had a 1999 626 and two 2002 Nissan Maximas (one an automatic, one a 6 speed). After I found out my Dad was replacing his 2004 Accord EX V6 with a truck, I offered to buy it. Only 75k miles and meticulously maintained. As much as I miss the acceleration of my 6 speed Maxima, the Accord is no slouch, runs about as well as my automatic Maxima did but with better mileage. I'm averaging 21-22 in the city (and the Dallas area has no clue how to synchronize traffic lights) and a trip to Kentucky and back got me 30.4 mpg at 75-78 mph!
Favorite Features
The 3.0 V6 is a real jewel of an engine. Less torque than a VQ35 but noticeably stronger above 5000 rpms. Plus, while Honda doesn't advertise this, one of their engineers said that while the car was engineered to run on regular, using premium fuel allows more spark advance and you gain 10 hp and 10 lb-ft of torque. Is it worth the extra 30 cents per gallon? I think it is, at least around town. The interior is much more upscale than my Maximas, seats are better bolstered, love the huge speedometer. Fit, finish and panel gaps are excellent. Ride is a lot smoother than my Maximas but still gives you decent road feel.
Suggested Improvements
The biggest thing I miss from my Maximas is the midrange torque, would have been nice if the Accord had the 3.2 from the Acura instead, even if slightly de-tuned to the 250 hp mark. Second biggest thing I miss? Factory HID headlights. Even the 8th generation Accords don't have them. Considering all of the Accords competition has at least the option of HID headlights, it just boggles my mind that they aren't available. I swapped in some Silverstar Ultra bulbs, which made a nice improvement but still not like having HIDs.