Used 2004 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 937 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

every year something new
By rashadr

2004 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i like my 2004 accord but honda really mess up the electronics that comes in the car. like my radio went out in 2008 and now i have to get key because it won't lock or aything but my key light still comes on when i press a button and i already had replace it before.And i also had to replace the transmission and it only got 103,000 miles.its a fun car to drive and it get very good gas mileage the problems on this car is just not worth it.

Electrical Lemon
By kiisha

2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a little over 120,000 miles on my car. I bought it new and since 2006 I have had 4 electrical problems. It all started w/ a recall on the radio whose screen is currently fading in/out; I'm certain its on the verge of going black. The entire middle console is no longer illuminated making it difficult at night to navigate controls. The price alone to do just a diagnostic test is $150! The actuator on the passenger window was replaced TWICE under warranty (problem disengaged power windows). The lock on the driver door malfunctioned-covered by warranty. The most recent problem-trunk lock became inoperable-actuator replaced for the grand total (incl. labor) $263. Honda has disappointed me!

Best car I've ever owned
By 91_bmw

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather and Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned many cars including 4 Hondas, and this is the most reliable, lowest cost to own of them all. Tons of room for our family of 4 and only routine maintenance so far (oil, brakes, tires, etc.). Could get a little better mpg for a 4 cyl car, but gets over 30 mpg on the highway so can't complain too much. Very comfortable leather interior, good legroom (I'm 6'5" tall), and plenty of trunk space. Car now has 132,000 miles and doesn't leak or burn any oil, and the transmission still feels very strong with no issues so far. Can't imagine being happier with another car. Have always liked Hondas, but this one is by far the best I've owned.

Honda reliability, comfortable seats, overall build quality.

MPG for city driving could be better.

My Honda Accord
By averagejoe3

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this 2004 accord two years ago. It already had 70 k miles and got it thourghly checked. Now, after two years I have mixed feelings about it.

Driving experience is great for the city because of its excellent acceleration and handling. That is pretty much it. Can't think of anything else.

I drive less than 600 miles a month (or 7200 a year). So, after 14k miles I had to... 1. buy a new starter and at the same time had to change the alternater! 2. buy a new windshield motor 3. had to fix my radio console (twice !) 4. fix driver side window 5. fix left hand signal Is this common? Maybe among accord owners... These may not sound much but ofcourse I had to change the tires, brakes, batteries, oil, belts etc.... and when you add all them up its alot of money and a big pain in the ass.

Great, reliable, soccer-mom car
By mach76

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my '04 in '07 with 34k miles.
After 4 years & 100,000 miles the car has certainly fulfilled it's mission very well.

I originally evaluated this car against a BMW 3 or 5 series.
I dearly wanted the latter but considered my budget & driving needs - I live in So Cal and would be making regular trips to Las Vegas for work.
I envisioned myself in Baker with a broke-down Bimmer - calling in to work to say I can't make it due to car problems doesn't fly (I'm a pilot).
I searched for and found a 4-cyl. Accord-EX with leather and a stick.
The stick to give myself at least the illusion of driving a real car.
The 4-cyl. model for fuel economy and better reported reliability than the 6.

The car has been remarkably trouble-free. Follow the maint. sched., go with the 2.4L model and the man. trans. and you've got as reliable a car as there is. In 100,000 miles there have been two issues - the entertainment/climate control display blacked out and was replaced free under a Honda good-will program. And the cruise control switch failed, a $30 dollar part swapped out in minutes by my tech. Change the oil, do the "major service" every 30,000 miles that will maybe set you back a few hundred bucks. Drive it and forget about it.

OTOH understand what you are getting. The doors feel like you could remove them and carry them around in one hand. Handling is distinctly middle-of-the-road. If robustness and driving qualities and performance are important then you probably want a Audi or BMW. Just be prepared to pay.