Used 2004 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
11 years and still Awesome!
By dossca on 01/12/15 07:21 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Accord brand new, in November of 2003. I have always taken it to the dealership. I have had all of the problems that everyone else has. To date, I only have 72k on it. I have a work vehicle and don't drive to and from work. First was a recall on the transmission, then the radio went out, then just scheduled services. Then just recently, I have been having flickering headlights. Took it to the dealership, had it checked, bad battery(not it), then changed out the Alternator(not it), then read that the ELD goes up on 2003/2004 accords around 100k or ten years. After 2k of fixes it is brand new. Now just looking for the transmission to go up soon. Its all worth it, I love this car!

Fun to Drive, Expensive to repair
By carlover518 on 12/09/14 20:35 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought used last year with 225k on body, 151k on newer 2.4L k24A engine. Loved the reliability thusfar and have put on an additional 20k miles since buying. Considering the repairs needed they were needed due to the excessive miles already on the body, ended up going aftermarket due to OEM parts being extremely expensive. Now there's more problems and I just don't want to continue dumping money into it. But considering I live in Upstate NY and knowing the car is over 10 years old, it being 100% rust free is amazing. Switching back to Toyota though. Honda is reliable don't get me wrong. I just love Toyota a tiny bit more for Northeast winters, Rav4.

2004 Honda Accord 4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder EX V6
By ababner on 11/01/14 03:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Prior to purchasing our 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 I read Honda was an outstanding car with proven reliability a Quality built car. My personal experience has proven this to be untrue. Unfortunately there is a major difference between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder Honda Accord. The six cylinders are notorious for having transmission problems. We found this out the hard way with my wife breaking down with our three kids in the middle of the highway. I received a call at work engine racing but car not moving help call. Wife and kids abandoned the car and when I got there found the transmission failure.

Great Car in all respects.
By njoosse on 11/14/12 13:28 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for nearly 5 years. Bought with about 45,000miles, now it has about 110,000miles. No Problems at all, changed front brakes once, still has original rear brakes. Changed original battery when the car was 7 years old, changed spark plugs once. Great fuel mileage, roomy, comfortable, handles very well. Fantastic bang for the buck. I own a big block trans am, so I know performance, and this 4 cylinder performs very well, more than enough power for day to day driving. Paint is fading, but hey, its 9 years old... Engine and ABS light are on, but oh well.. Best car I've ever owned, and the way its going I'll probably have it for a long time to come.

BAD NAME WITH HONDA
By car_owner2004 on 07/27/12 13:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I honestly have become disappointed with this car - I have owned this car for over 6 years and ever since I went over the 100K in miles (the past two years - currently at 121K) - This car has completely fallen apart.. I have never missed an oil change or maintenance - I have copies of ever invoice since bought at 21K miles. I just found out today I have to have the MOTOR replaced, this after replacing the Power Steering Pump, hoses, axle, arms, door locks, needs new battery every year and many moe items. Every six to seven months I am spending 600- 1K on work and now 3K to replace the motor.

One of the best choices I made
By sepbone on 05/30/12 17:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan w/Leather and Navigation (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought one year ago at 175,000 miles and have no problems and has gotten more and more fun to drive. This is my dream car. Keep up on maintenance and you will have a great car for a long time! Thanks Honda!

Poor
By yamaha776 on 03/17/12 04:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Curtain Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have drove hondas before this is the worst. I am spending more money on repairs than the value of the car. I think I am going to try a camary next. I had issues with the front axles, airbags and the car was not in ANY accidents!! Even Honda couldnt understand it, which I think was a LIE!

Bad Paint/Clearcoat
By donthebiker on 11/10/11 11:48 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since new. And the paint/clear coat has deteriorated down to bare metal along much of the top surfaces of the car and is showing signs of surface rust. I have taken this issue to Honda's Regional Manager and they are refusing to even pay for part of the repair, let alone all of it. So now I have to decide if I want to spend $4500 (the cost of a new engine, or 10 timing belts) on a car that's worth over $10,500 (with good paint) or not. This is my 6th Honda and may very well be my last, as I am not buying from a Manufacturer that skimps on their paint and clear coat. This problem has been expressed by 100's and possibly 1000's of Honda owners around the world.

Glad to be back with Honda
By scottwax on 10/03/11 20:42 PM (PDT)

I had a 1990 Accord for several years, sold it with 280k miles, current owner works at a tire store near me so I know it still runs! After the Accord, I had a 1999 626 and two 2002 Nissan Maximas (one an automatic, one a 6 speed). After I found out my Dad was replacing his 2004 Accord EX V6 with a truck, I offered to buy it. Only 75k miles and meticulously maintained. As much as I miss the acceleration of my 6 speed Maxima, the Accord is no slouch, runs about as well as my automatic Maxima did but with better mileage. I'm averaging 21-22 in the city (and the Dallas area has no clue how to synchronize traffic lights) and a trip to Kentucky and back got me 30.4 mpg at 75-78 mph!

every year something new
By rashadr on 08/17/11 19:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i like my 2004 accord but honda really mess up the electronics that comes in the car. like my radio went out in 2008 and now i have to get key because it won't lock or aything but my key light still comes on when i press a button and i already had replace it before.And i also had to replace the transmission and it only got 103,000 miles.its a fun car to drive and it get very good gas mileage the problems on this car is just not worth it.