Used 2004 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

My favorite car EVER, and I've had quite a few
By Chris K

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan w/Leather and Navigation (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first car was a 1981 Accord coupe. Later a Civic, then a Prelude, Another Accord Coupe (all were manual transmissions). This EX is an automatic. Luxurious, comfortable, fast with the V-6, and has only required normal maintenance aside from a power steering pump/hose (recall), starter, a couple of belts and tires. At 11-yrs-old and 96000 miles, it is still our chosen "road trip" car, although our other car is newer. Huge trunk, back seats that fold down, you can't beat it. I bought it at 3-yrs old from a friend and still just love driving it. Close to needing the brake pads and timing belt replaced, but so what! Drove a Saab for 3 years in the middle, and after all the breakdowns, sold it and went back to Honda.

2004 Accord LX-4 cyl--- watch out for 100K
By lindavt08

2004 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

First off, let me say I LOVE my car. I got it in 2005 with only 16K miles, and it has been babied ever since. I change the oil religiously at 3K, and it's never had any real problems, as I'm great on maintence. Then... we hit 100K in 2014, and it seems like out of no where, stuff just breaks. Again, I baby her, I don't think you could take better care of a car than I do. First, it was the breaks, okay, that's a reasonable thing, and then, my stero just goes completely blank I had to get a second one put in, which looks a little ghetto, but that's okay. Then, my battery dies, and I have to get a brand new one. I think the car is wonderful, but be ready at 100K!

It's fun to drive, GREAT breaks, great gas mileage, great overall!

Stereo needs to be dealt with, it's a common 04' accord complaint

11 years and still Awesome!
By dossca

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Accord brand new, in November of 2003. I have always taken it to the dealership. I have had all of the problems that everyone else has. To date, I only have 72k on it. I have a work vehicle and don't drive to and from work. First was a recall on the transmission, then the radio went out, then just scheduled services. Then just recently, I have been having flickering headlights. Took it to the dealership, had it checked, bad battery(not it), then changed out the Alternator(not it), then read that the ELD goes up on 2003/2004 accords around 100k or ten years. After 2k of fixes it is brand new. Now just looking for the transmission to go up soon. Its all worth it, I love this car!

It's fast, handles great, a/c and heat are awesome, no blind spots, big trunk, my paint has held up ( I keep it waxed a lot), great in snow, seats come down and I have moved a lot of stuff over the years. No leaks or bad smells. Most of all, compared to all of the cars out there, it looks as new as any other car on the road today. If I were to get another car, and because of the flickering lights, and I almost did. The Pilot from 2012 or newer would be the one. ( don't like the Pilot's older interior)

Tires are expensive because of the V6 engine, the leather has worn on the driver's side ( I torn a hole getting in and out of it), lights could be a little brighter ( I don't have fog lights), I did have to get clamps for the catalytic converter to stop the rattling on all 3 of them ($150), over all the Accord has been great to me! I car mechanic once told me, "if everyone took there car regularly for the routine services, they would be out of the repair business. So that is what I have always done. Hope my 2 cents has helped in some way.

Fun to Drive, Expensive to repair
By carlover518

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought used last year with 225k on body, 151k on newer 2.4L k24A engine. Loved the reliability thusfar and have put on an additional 20k miles since buying. Considering the repairs needed they were needed due to the excessive miles already on the body, ended up going aftermarket due to OEM parts being extremely expensive. Now there's more problems and I just don't want to continue dumping money into it. But considering I live in Upstate NY and knowing the car is over 10 years old, it being 100% rust free is amazing. Switching back to Toyota though. Honda is reliable don't get me wrong. I just love Toyota a tiny bit more for Northeast winters, Rav4.

Reliable engine, timing chain not belt, bullet proof transmission.

Interior comfort, all model trims come with disc br akes

2004 Honda Accord 4 cylinder vs. 6 cylinder EX V6
By ababner

2004 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Prior to purchasing our 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 I read Honda was an outstanding car with proven reliability a Quality built car. My personal experience has proven this to be untrue. Unfortunately there is a major difference between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder Honda Accord. The six cylinders are notorious for having transmission problems. We found this out the hard way with my wife breaking down with our three kids in the middle of the highway. I received a call at work engine racing but car not moving help call. Wife and kids abandoned the car and when I got there found the transmission failure.

The six cylinder has great speed and engine runs great when transmission is working. I am very disappointed I was not aware of the problem with the six cylinder prior to purchasing the car. Honda knowingly continued manufacturing fault transmissions for at least four years. In stead of correcting the problem and taking responsibility for the design failure they are not covering their design flaw. The experience has left a sour taste for Honda in my mind. I will never buy another Honda ever.

Suggested improvements would be for the manufacturer to issue a recall and correct their design flaw in the models with the flawed transmissions.