Used 2004 Honda Accord EX Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

LOve my Accord!!
By Jim

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car from new. Over 11 years and 165k miles later and it runs and drives great! I maintain the fluids myself and have done a few brake jobs. I'm amazed at how well the car has aged, and now understand first hand, "brand loyalty". I would buy another Accord in a heartbeat and am eyeing the tenth generation as a replacement, but only, ONLY if Honda still offers a manual transmission. The MT in this car is superb for the price point and has been flawless. The 2.4 I4 engine is also a gem. It is extraordinary how well this car has been engineered, the powertrain, the steering, the interior layout and controls, the comfort of the seats are all exemplary. Everything works together seamlessly, and I still very much enjoy driving it.
One negative is that the paint is rather weak and I have had to fix a few minor rust bubbles on the fenders and one on the hood. This despite regular washes, including rinsing the undercarriage and wheelwells, and waxes. There are no major rust issues.
Another annoyance is that while the HVAC is generally good, the floor vents are some of the weakest I have experienced. I want my feet warm during the Wintertime while still breathing cooler air. For some reason heat is not directed fully to the feet but seems to come more out of the top vents.
One other is that the engine, "clacks" in colder weather when started. My understanding is that this is piston slap. While it does not seem to affect long term reliability of the engine it is nonetheless disconcerting, but I have become used to it.
Overall, I am extremely happy with my purchase, and look forward to a new Accord in the future if Honda continues to manufacture benchmark vehicles and only if they still offer a manual transmission.

Going Strong
By Satisfied

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've owned... period. Bought new, now has 96,000 miles and all I've done is change tires, put in a new battery, change oil and filter regularly, and install a new set of brakes. Still feels tight and still fun to drive; I have to remind myself how many miles I've put on it. Mileage is good: 32-34 on the highway, 22-24 around town. Very practical: I've carried 8' 2x4's inside!

Reliability, low-cost upkeep, fun to drive.

As mentioned in some other reviews, the pass-through from the trunk is small -- should be full width.

Would do it all over again!
By Steve

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Thought you may be interested in a review from someone who has owned this car for 6 yrs. Just turned 204,000 miles. Only problem was the radio that was replaced by Honda. Replaced the alternator at 190,000 miles. Other than that, just normal maintenance. Lots of highway driving, getting 30 to 32 mpg. Brakes last far longer than any other car I've owned. Can't believe the car still runs so well. I keep asking my service man (independent) when the car might die and he keeps saying not anytime soon. The 4 cylinder doesn't have the initial burst that you would like, but the low cost of maintenence and the reliability more than make up for it. Would highly recommend this car.

Reliability, mpg, and low cost of maintenance.

Don't change a thing.

Think again about the Honda hype
By mabeno

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this Accord from new. Maintained it on a regular basis and have not abused it. The display went out in the radio and had to have the entire unit replaced, not once but twice. The fit and finish inside is terrible (sunglass holder pops open, the headline has bubbles, the plastic seat shroud will not stay together, etc.). The final straw is the timing chain jumped a tooth and has caused extensive engine damage. The mechanic stated that this is one of the cleanest engines that he has worked on, so it was not my maintenance on the vehicle. Do not believe all the hype about how a Honda runs forever. All of my other vehicles are GMs, and I have never had such issues.

Nice exterior look.

Interior fit and finish. Better timing chain design.

Most reliable car I have ever owned
By philly

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I presently have 59,000 miles on this car and it has never broke down once. The only thing that it has had is a new set of brake pads which you could expect at 50 to 60 thousand miles. Honda only requires it's oil to be changed every 10,000 miles. It gets great gas mileage for a 4 banger, about 28 mpg on the average. I have never owned such a reliable car as this one. I hope to keep it for a long time to come. It has a comfortable ride, handles well, and takes care of my pocketbook. Glad I bought this car instead of another Mopar.

Bright headlights, dashboard lighting system, CD changer, and surprisingly good power for a 4 cylinder.

The power seat only consists of a power height adjuster, should have been a 6 to 8 way power seat. The power door locks have to be manually opened and closed. An automatic feature would have been much better. You cannot open the door unless you manually open the power door lock button.