2003 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Outstanding 03 Accord
By movinwest on 08/21/11 17:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a new 03 accord lx with a manual transmission. I purchased the car instead of a nissan z or an audi a4 as I thought I would be practical for once. During 200,000 trouble free miles the car won me over with a combination of enjoyable driving dynamics, all around practicality and reliability. The only repairs other than brake pads and two batteries, was an oxygen sensor which needed replacement costing a little over $100. The build quality is certainly a high point for this car as it seemed as solid at 200k as when it was new. The mileage was tremendous as on one trip I got up to 36 mpg on the highway. A tremendous value.

Honda USED to make a superb car
By tbckc on 07/05/11 17:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had been a raving Honda fan since the early 90's. I finally gave up and sold my 42,000 mile, 03 Accord after a bad a/c compressor, sunroof relay, wiper motor, and drivers door lock motor. Of course, AHMC had no interest in a goodwill claim on any of it. I'm just now reading reviews by other owners who are citing the same issues over and over. Also looks like I got out just in time to avoid the failure of a poorly engineered automatic transmission. Since the late 90s larger vehicles with more powerful engines, and attempts to make them shift without jerking have stressed Honda's unique design of an automatic. Please, DO YOUR RESEARCH before you buy.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Dr. Blob on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used in 1/05 w. 16,500 miles. Car now has 108,000+. Rides and runs like it was brand new! Nothing but regular maintenance (5000 miles oil changes, trans and radiator every other year, 100,000 mile total makeover etc). I am still using the original rear brakes (the last year for the old drum style -very durable). 5 speed manual is still smooth - original clutch - no slippage or chattering. Approximately 30 mpg - mixed driving - regular gas. Everything still works - very comfortable - handles like it's on rails. Can't rave about it enough! Love it!

5th Accord
By Teez on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car new and the only probably I have had is the Engine light came on and it was a sensor. The dealer charged $385 to fix. Just replaced the tires at 58,000 miles. The V-6 is powerful. I rented a car at the airport recently and it was 2010. Basic and when I got back in my Accord I felt that I was driving pure luxury. This is my 5th Accord

2003 Accord 2.4L LX
By michael on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this used in 2007 with 50k miles and I am now at nearly 150k with no major mechanical problems. Only work thats been done on this car is oil and transmission fluid, brakes, tires, timing belt as scheduled for mileage. I'd like to trade for something more fun to drive or better-looking every now and then but being that I drive alot for work, I cant find anything better for the price range and practicality. Its a little slow off the line but i would not say its underpowered. Transmission took to making a whirring sound just after 100k miles, which worried me as some have mentioned problems there. Since I was past warranty I just crossed my fingers and kept driving, still ok 50k later

Misleading
By lgrussel on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This car is awesome. Comfortable, good-looking, fast and smooth. Great all around and it still beats so many newer cars. However it is deceiving because this 2003 Accord is notorious for transmission failures and I was just one of several thousands to just find out. Do your research and you'll be shocked at the mess that is still happening. Honda has known about these awful transmissions since the cars' inception. So buyer beware if you're thinking of buying one now. It will cost you half if not more of it's value today in 2010 to get this manufacturer failure fixed by you. Honda American won't help although the car has much value left.

Love it!
By jpayne_07 on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Accord used with 12,000 miles on it. Now 6 years later it has 253k on it. I have NOT had a problem out of it at all. It has been a great car. Even with the high miles on it i am still averaging 33 MPG. No leaks whatsoever and still rides amazing. I plan on driving this car until it finally quits. I have put 240k miles on it and I believe i can run it for another 250k. The only problem is the paint. It has faded in a select few spots but i cant complain

2003 ex honda
By Jim on 09/02/10 14:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this Honda new and have 95,100 miles on and just had routine maintenance done to it. Great car.

Good car, but noisy
By Tom on 07/16/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Original owner, now 7+ years old with about 70,000 miles, overall very reliable, nothing beyond regular maintenance until this year though the brakes need replacement too frequently. I had the rear first done at 20,000. Excellent mileage - 34-35 consistently on the long freeway trips, 26-28 in town mixed driving. The car is very responsive and peppy. The ride is a bit harsh however, and there is way too much road noise for a car in this class. This is my first Honda and I've been told road noise is common. My car tends to drift to the left and dealers have been unable to fully fix it. Annoying but not a huge deal.

Very pleased after 7 years
By Blake on 07/16/10 11:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this Accord new in 2003. It has met or exceeded all my expectations. We now have 200,000 km on the car and have made 2 unscheduled visits to the dealership. When the car was new, the low-washer-fluid sensor did not work, or was not connected. At 135,000 km the HVAC/Radio display went out and was replaced, no hassles by a good-will warranty. It's hard to find fault with this car. Clutch still works like new, very reasonable gas mileage, reasonable 4- cyl torque and Hp (161 and 160). Maintenance costs have been low. I am a true car enthusiast and while this car is not overly exciting, it does everything it is expected to do and does it well.