Used 2003 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1,284 Total Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

pretty nice
By stewart

2003 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this accord used from a trade in with 220,000 miles. Right now I have 229,000 miles. No major issues. Took it from ohio to florida bo problem. Scariest complaint I have seen is about excessive oil consumption. From my research it seems to happen when oil changes are not done and the oil gets dirty. When that happens your timing chain which relies upon oil pressure can jump/ get stretched. Get your oil changed every 3000 miles. I dont lose any oil and this car to get to 220k miles must have been changed like clockwork. Also the automatic seems to have tranny problems.. I have a 5 speed manual and I seen hardly any complaints. Buying used make sure the car is clean.. If someone took good care of the interior and outside, then they probably took care of it mechanically too. Also when i bought mine the oil was just due for the 3000 change.. And the small dealership didn't change the oil prior to me buying. This let me see the level of the oil, and how dirty it was after 3000 miles.. To which the oil looked good. So i bought it and had it changed first thing. I expected with that many miles to not get the window sticker epa mileage.. But in fact i get 29 combined city and highway. Taking it to florida a tank seemed to get a max of about 520 miles. Take care of your Honda if you want it to last!

Transmission Failure
By Shannon

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as my first car. It worked wonderfully, I loved it! Then two weeks later the transmission fails. Everywhere I read says this is a common problem with this year. I spent all my money I saved on this car, I don't have enough to buy a new transmission.

Great car with lots of little issues
By Pickandpray

2003 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car second hand and it has many little problems that don't sully the overall satisfaction with driving the car. BAD: door lock actuator failure moon roof limiter switch preventing moonroof from closing dark radio prevents seeing the station or the time tail lights leak water internally rear wheel camber gets negative with wear of rear linkages clear coat peeling GOOD: Very acceptable audio quality (decent bass in factory component setup) Very smooth quiet ride Pretty good handling (not sporty but not floaty either) No excessive wind noise on the highway

2003 Honda Accord EX - 6 cyl
By wallyk2

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've enjoyed my car, but the transmission had to be replaced at 40,000 miles, 2 of 3 catalytic convertor stages had to be replaced in less than 120,000 miles, and the oxygen sensor twice...now my heat "blend doors" have to be replaced (which entails removing the entire dashboard).

6 cyl engine, cabin layout, roominess including trunk

BadTranny
By nikkithediyer

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used in 2012 with about 181k. That thang was surprisingly fast. Loved taking it out on the highway on trips. It was my 3rd Honda. I drove it from Philly to Atlanta and back. Tranny died at 211k. I drive a lot. I must say, it was low on trans fluid but it was also very very dark. I don't know too much about cars my research suggests there could have been that common issue of the 3rd gear not being lubricated properly and grinding out....or maybe neglect on my part. Either way, I don't have the car. I sold it cheap but really miss it! Wish I'd kept it and just replaced trans. I should have noticed the subtle hard downshift from 3rd the 2nd from the beginning...can't win em all.

Body style. Low profile. The car seems to be assembled the same as my other Hondas so that consistency is a plus.

I had trouble changing my headlight bulbs. Wish they were easier to get to. Or make it easier to remove the entire headlamp...

• SUV