Used 2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 342 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Our Experience
By Ty

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a car that I insisted my friend should get after her first lemon of a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Turns out that this Accord makes that lemon look heaven-sent. It's a shame because I drive a 2000 Honda Accord with over 210,000 miles. The suspension rattles and clunks, the engine burns oil, but it runs well otherwise and hasn't given me any major issues. The 2003 Honda Accord that my friend got has just 79,000 miles. The ride is infinitely better, the seats are much more comfortable, and the car is all around a significant improvement from the previous model. However, the number of issues that the 2003 Accord has way outnumbers my own Accord just 3 years older. The transmission is absolutely garbage. This car has left us on the side of the road outside of Vegas in the middle of the summer with an overheated transmission, pouring fluid all over the side of the freeway. After getting one part of the transmission fixed, it started to shift hard. The tail light switch failed and started killing the battery, which I had to fix on my own to save some money. The AC would only blow cold air through one half of the car. The list of issues go on. All in all, as much as I love this car, the quality of the mechanical components is incredibly bad. A car that I told my friend would be reliable and problem-free has been anything but. CarComplaints.com rates this car as the second worst car to purchase and suggests "avoiding this model year like the plague." Boy were they right. Be careful when thinking about buying a 2003 Honda Accord. As much as I love this car, I hate it just as much.

2003 Honda Accord EX - 6 cyl
By wallyk2

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've enjoyed my car, but the transmission had to be replaced at 40,000 miles, 2 of 3 catalytic convertor stages had to be replaced in less than 120,000 miles, and the oxygen sensor twice...now my heat "blend doors" have to be replaced (which entails removing the entire dashboard).

6 cyl engine, cabin layout, roominess including trunk

Failed Transmission
By willm3

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great car but transmission is not dependable. I would not buy this car unless you are a transmission mechanic.

Replace transmission and fix power steering pump noise.

Scared
By bigjohn112

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I had read more reviews before buying this car for my daughters first. I found this car at a dealer. One owner, 119K, no wrecks, no damage. Car looked a drove great. AC did not blow as cold as I thought it should but they checked it and replaced a sensor. I am going to change the transmission fluid as soon as possible. But with all the talk about tranny problems I find myself listening for odd noised and weird shifting . We have only had it a few days, but may end up wishing I had got a 2004+

Nice car. Comfortable and plenty of power for the size

Not So Sure About Honda Anymore
By uthookem

2003 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used in 2007 with 60, 000 from a Honda dealership. I always noticed that this car didn't have the smoothest downshifting, but other than that, it was great. I'm now at 125, 000 and it shifts hard quite a bit. Within the past months on 2 occasions it has refused to accelerate with my foot on the gas, and the check engine and TCS lights immediately come on. After reading many other reviews and complaints about this car, I'm sure I know what's about to happen...

The body style and interior are very nice and built well, true quality. However, the problems await under the hood of the car.

Transmission.