Used 2003 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews - 323 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Honda made a mistake in 2003...
By Mike Wilcox

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sorry but after this 2003 Honda Accord EXL v6 ( yes FULLY LOADED ) blew the transmission today after 112,000 miles, I will not buy another Honda. Honda missed the mark on the 2003 cars and we are paying for it. This one has required expensive repair around 110,000 miles including a $3500 transmission, a $2400 power steering replacement and a $3000 paint job due to peeling clearcoat. Note, other annoyances includes door lock actuator failure at about the same time. Didn't most cars fail like this, ie at 100k miles, in the 1970s? Something happened starting in 2003 to Honda quality to let these problems hit the consumer and unfortunately in our case we had to pay for the repairs.
It is a sad day, like losing a friend. Particularly, since we have three Hondas in the family. Survivors include a 2002 Accord and a 2003 CRV. The 02 Accord and 03 CRV each have over 200,000 miles on them and have had no serious problems including a rock solid original engine and transmission.
In the past, we paid more for Honda quality and expected more from Honda. In my case, we ignored the complaints against the 2003 - 2005 Hondas thinking it was a fluke, this was a bad mistake.
And sadly, you can not trust Hondas to the point where you pay more for a Honda than any of the other brand. So the morale of the story is that 'you' must add Honda to the list of vendors that you MUST use a 'buyer beware' approach. Do your homework, delay the purchase and shop around.

Honda Accord 2003 2.4 L Engine
By Jeff

2003 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe w/Side Airbags (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

These are some pretty reliable cars as long as long you take care of the maintenance on them. If you take care of your Honda, your Honda will take care of you. Use synthetic oil and change your oil every 5,000 miles and service the transmission every 30,000 miles. Your catalyst converter will need changing every 100,000 miles and you o2 sensors may require changing when every your engine light indicate changing of the o2 sensors. These are the basis requirement for keeping up your Honda and if you do this, the car will last you as long as you take care of the car. Miles on a Honda mean absolutely nothing but another mile just as long as you care for the vehicle.

BadTranny
By nikkithediyer

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used in 2012 with about 181k. That thang was surprisingly fast. Loved taking it out on the highway on trips. It was my 3rd Honda. I drove it from Philly to Atlanta and back. Tranny died at 211k. I drive a lot. I must say, it was low on trans fluid but it was also very very dark. I don't know too much about cars my research suggests there could have been that common issue of the 3rd gear not being lubricated properly and grinding out....or maybe neglect on my part. Either way, I don't have the car. I sold it cheap but really miss it! Wish I'd kept it and just replaced trans. I should have noticed the subtle hard downshift from 3rd the 2nd from the beginning...can't win em all.

Body style. Low profile. The car seems to be assembled the same as my other Hondas so that consistency is a plus.

I had trouble changing my headlight bulbs. Wish they were easier to get to. Or make it easier to remove the entire headlamp...

VERY GOOD USED CAR
By hondas_rule

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this as my work car this past Christmas break with 121k miles on it.
These are great cars but Honda did have some troubles with this new body style in '03.
The V6's eat up transmissions if you are the type to mash the gas and make the transmission shift under full throttle acceleration.
The 4 cyls don't seem to have transmission issues.
I had to replace the cruise control switch on the steering column which was an easy and cheap fix ( $35 on eBay ). The driver side door lock actuator which requires taking the door panel off went bad ( $20 on eBay ).
Drivers seat belt light on the dash won't go out even though I have it buckled.
Not that big a deal.
Overall a great car for $5800

The Coupe is not a bad looking car. Nice driving, good on gas, comfortable, dependable, good stereo. About as good a used car as there is.

The V6 Accords have a history of transmission problems. The '03 models seem to have bad interior switches but these cars are easy to work on, parts are cheap and easy to get. Overall Accords are good dependable cars if you get a 4 cyl. You have to do some research when you buy tires. Make sure you buy quiet tires. If you put noisey tires on an Accord they will drive you nuts! Any tire noise seems to get amplified in an Accord for some reason.

Faithful Honda owner..a little rattled.
By ajhall

2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Accord, also the first car I have ever bought without researching. My thoughts were "it's an Accord. I'm safe". Currently have 80k miles on it.

The car has been great, plenty of fun to drive and ample room although the trunk is a little small. What you've read about transmission issues are true. Mine is going in the shop this week for a rebuild around 3k in price. Honda has seem to correct the issue in later models and has been known to split the tranny rebuild with you since losing a class action suit, but it's a little shameful to have to do on a car so young. I'm going to keep it 300k+ miles.

Not my last Accord, but research each car individually before buying.

Peppiness of engine, crisp sound system, great egronomics, extremely quiet and solid drive even at high speeds, great reliability, easy to work on, I would definitely buy my car again or recommend to others.

Rear cupholders seem like an afterthought, trunk opening isn't so generous, expect transmission issues in the future unless yours has been updated