Used 2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

best family car I've ever owned
By Dave C.

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2003 Accord nearly 7 years and it is by far the best family car I've ever owned (I've had many). I have *never* had a problem with it -- just regular maintenance. The design is a good balance of power, fuel economy, comfort. A little boring to drive compared to my sports coupe, but that's because it's a family sedan, no fault of its own

Favorite Features

its simplicity and reliability

Losing it
By A. Jenkins

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven Hondas for many years and paid a premium price for their cars. Late last autumn my Accord started to have what I thought was a slight engine tap when it was cold. I took it into a Honda dealer for an assessment. The written assessment stated that their was a slight piston slap but only when the engine was cold. Honda considered the piston slap acceptable. Of course the noise continued to get worse and finally, after a great deal of agravation Honda agreed to replace the engine. They did not provide a loaner nor refund the cost of the analysis. The car runs fine now but I have certainly downgraded Hondas prefered status. Alex. Jenkins

Has been a great car
By Eric

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good value for the price. Only problem has been a door rattle that the dealer fixed. This is my 5th Honda and have never had a problem. Sound system is over the top. Seats could be more comfortable, and leather not as nice as my wifes Volvo. Can rarely get more than 31 mpg on the freeway out of the V6.

Favorite Features

Great sound and 6 disc changer in dash. Fit and finish are good. Exterior paint still in excellent shape. Heated front seats. Honda resale value

Suggested Improvements

I'm always looking for better gas mileage. More comfortable seats. Better windshield defrosting

Shake, rattle and roll
By fed_up_with_Honda

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good design, good technology. Very poor build quality, reminiscent of '70's GM. Too many rattles to list (dash, seatbelt adjuster, exhaust, etc). A/C clunks every time it cycles on. Brake pads worn out at 30000 miles (under warranty). I had similar problems in a '95 Civic. Since manufacture moved to North America, QA has gone way down. (Sorry, but its the truth). I have owned many Hondas over the years (even motorcycles). But no more. Will no longer pay steep premium price for such poor quality. Will trade in on a Ford or GM. I expect the same quality problems, but will spend far less money.

Favorite Features

Engine has lots of power.

Suggested Improvements

Honda - get your build quality up in the first year or two of production. I shouldn't have to wait for third year of production before I buy - the Civic is redesigned for 2006, but I won't even look at it because I expect similar problems.

A Nice Drive
By DreArf

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

First vehicle I have ever owned and it was new when I bought it. I have had so much fun driving it. Power is quite pleasant, but I do notice a slight hesistation before it kicks in when I accelerate hard. I have fine tuned it some by adding chrome rims, AEM cold air intake valve, AERO turbine performance mufflers, and special paint striping. I'm 5'4 and the visibility is okay, but if you're short you need to just get use to visually compensating when parking and driving in tight spaces. The design a lot of people seem to complain, but of course, if you own one it grows on you. The car has been a surprise to drive and I hope someone can enjoy this model as much as I have.

Favorite Features

Responsive handling/steering. Good performance for the engine. Layout of interior (sporty look). Opening of trunk with button on key fob. Fuel economy even though some think it is average.

Suggested Improvements

Beef the horsepower to maybe 250 - 260. Make the headlights a little more bright. Turning radius needs work. Put a temperature gauge on the higher end models. Maybe put 17" inch rims on the V6 models. Offer more sport package or other fine accessories on the sedan too.