Used 2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Welcome to Lowered Expectations
By James M. Krupski

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

First of all I am not sure if my car is an LX or EX or what...it just has a V6 emblem on the right side of the back surface. I know it is a V6 with 4 doors, electric leather heated seats, 6 CD in dash CD changer and an electric moon roof...no navigation system. At first glance my car looked very nice when I bought it several years ago. Its sporty look, accessories and power captured my attention. The asking price seemed a little high at the used car dealer. But I relied on Honda's reputation for making solid, reliable vehicles to consider it worth the price. But, just in case, I scoured the internet for feedback from existing owners and mechanics with hardly a peep. I even checked Consumer's Digest and they gave it a great rating even after the transmissions had been recalled (They neglected to mention the recall in the review). Now, several years and several thousand dollars above the purchase price in repairs later, I have a piece of junk that keeps breaking in expensive ways. I have replaced the transmission, central computer module, power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, brakes (discs and all twice) and the electric window motor in the driver's door. I used to wash and wax the car on a regular basis. But then the clear-coat started coming off of the paint job and rust started appearing along the tire wells, leading edge of the trunk lid and the leading edge of the hood. Now one can simply look online and see web site after web site speaking volumes about how poorly these were made. It's true...you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression. As far as I am concerned now Honda is without honor for creating such a horrible vehicle and for not taking responsibility for it's poor craftsmanship when so many problems surfaced on such a large scale. This is simply not worth the scrap metal and plastic it was made with. I am stuck with it since I cannot afford to risk getting another used vehicle that may be a money pit as well and I certainly can't afford a brand new vehicle since I am now a disabled cancer survivor living on SSI. I guess it just sucks to be me and Honda doesn't have to take any responsibility for the mess they have created. *sigh*

Transmission Failure
By Shannon

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as my first car. It worked wonderfully, I loved it! Then two weeks later the transmission fails. Everywhere I read says this is a common problem with this year. I spent all my money I saved on this car, I don't have enough to buy a new transmission.

best family car I've ever owned
By Dave C.

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my 2003 Accord nearly 7 years and it is by far the best family car I've ever owned (I've had many). I have *never* had a problem with it -- just regular maintenance. The design is a good balance of power, fuel economy, comfort. A little boring to drive compared to my sports coupe, but that's because it's a family sedan, no fault of its own

its simplicity and reliability

Losing it
By A. Jenkins

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven Hondas for many years and paid a premium price for their cars. Late last autumn my Accord started to have what I thought was a slight engine tap when it was cold. I took it into a Honda dealer for an assessment. The written assessment stated that their was a slight piston slap but only when the engine was cold. Honda considered the piston slap acceptable. Of course the noise continued to get worse and finally, after a great deal of agravation Honda agreed to replace the engine. They did not provide a loaner nor refund the cost of the analysis. The car runs fine now but I have certainly downgraded Hondas prefered status. Alex. Jenkins

Has been a great car
By Eric

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good value for the price. Only problem has been a door rattle that the dealer fixed. This is my 5th Honda and have never had a problem. Sound system is over the top. Seats could be more comfortable, and leather not as nice as my wifes Volvo. Can rarely get more than 31 mpg on the freeway out of the V6.

Great sound and 6 disc changer in dash. Fit and finish are good. Exterior paint still in excellent shape. Heated front seats. Honda resale value

I'm always looking for better gas mileage. More comfortable seats. Better windshield defrosting