Used 2003 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1,278 Total Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Transmission Failure
By Shannon

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as my first car. It worked wonderfully, I loved it! Then two weeks later the transmission fails. Everywhere I read says this is a common problem with this year. I spent all my money I saved on this car, I don't have enough to buy a new transmission.

Great car with lots of little issues
By Pickandpray

2003 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car second hand and it has many little problems that don't sully the overall satisfaction with driving the car. BAD: door lock actuator failure moon roof limiter switch preventing moonroof from closing dark radio prevents seeing the station or the time tail lights leak water internally rear wheel camber gets negative with wear of rear linkages clear coat peeling GOOD: Very acceptable audio quality (decent bass in factory component setup) Very smooth quiet ride Pretty good handling (not sporty but not floaty either) No excessive wind noise on the highway

2003 Honda Accord EX - 6 cyl
By wallyk2

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've enjoyed my car, but the transmission had to be replaced at 40,000 miles, 2 of 3 catalytic convertor stages had to be replaced in less than 120,000 miles, and the oxygen sensor twice...now my heat "blend doors" have to be replaced (which entails removing the entire dashboard).

6 cyl engine, cabin layout, roominess including trunk

BadTranny
By nikkithediyer

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used in 2012 with about 181k. That thang was surprisingly fast. Loved taking it out on the highway on trips. It was my 3rd Honda. I drove it from Philly to Atlanta and back. Tranny died at 211k. I drive a lot. I must say, it was low on trans fluid but it was also very very dark. I don't know too much about cars my research suggests there could have been that common issue of the 3rd gear not being lubricated properly and grinding out....or maybe neglect on my part. Either way, I don't have the car. I sold it cheap but really miss it! Wish I'd kept it and just replaced trans. I should have noticed the subtle hard downshift from 3rd the 2nd from the beginning...can't win em all.

Body style. Low profile. The car seems to be assembled the same as my other Hondas so that consistency is a plus.

I had trouble changing my headlight bulbs. Wish they were easier to get to. Or make it easier to remove the entire headlamp...

VERY GOOD USED CAR
By hondas_rule

2003 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this as my work car this past Christmas break with 121k miles on it. These are great cars but Honda did have some troubles with this new body style in '03. The V6's eat up transmissions if you are the type to mash the gas and make the transmission shift under full throttle acceleration. The 4 cyls don't seem to have transmission issues. I had to replace the cruise control switch on the steering column which was an easy and cheap fix ( $35 on eBay ). The driver side door lock actuator which requires taking the door panel off went bad ( $20 on eBay ). Drivers seat belt light on the dash won't go out even though I have it buckled. Not that big a deal. Overall a great car for $5800

The Coupe is not a bad looking car. Nice driving, good on gas, comfortable, dependable, good stereo. About as good a used car as there is.

The V6 Accords have a history of transmission problems. The '03 models seem to have bad interior switches but these cars are easy to work on, parts are cheap and easy to get. Overall Accords are good dependable cars if you get a 4 cyl. You have to do some research when you buy tires. Make sure you buy quiet tires. If you put noisey tires on an Accord they will drive you nuts! Any tire noise seems to get amplified in an Accord for some reason.