Used 2003 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 1,286 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Accord

1,286 Total Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

We are a Honda family
By billie kasper

2003 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Honda made a mistake in 2003...
By Mike Wilcox

2003 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sorry but after this 2003 Honda Accord EXL v6 ( yes FULLY LOADED ) blew the transmission today after 112,000 miles, I will not buy another Honda. Honda missed the mark on the 2003 cars and we are paying for it. This one has required expensive repair around 110,000 miles including a $3500 transmission, a $2400 power steering replacement and a $3000 paint job due to peeling clearcoat. Note, other annoyances includes door lock actuator failure at about the same time. Didn't most cars fail like this, ie at 100k miles, in the 1970s? Something happened starting in 2003 to Honda quality to let these problems hit the consumer and unfortunately in our case we had to pay for the repairs.
It is a sad day, like losing a friend. Particularly, since we have three Hondas in the family. Survivors include a 2002 Accord and a 2003 CRV. The 02 Accord and 03 CRV each have over 200,000 miles on them and have had no serious problems including a rock solid original engine and transmission.
In the past, we paid more for Honda quality and expected more from Honda. In my case, we ignored the complaints against the 2003 - 2005 Hondas thinking it was a fluke, this was a bad mistake.
And sadly, you can not trust Hondas to the point where you pay more for a Honda than any of the other brand. So the morale of the story is that 'you' must add Honda to the list of vendors that you MUST use a 'buyer beware' approach. Do your homework, delay the purchase and shop around.

I love my Honda
By Marco Gonzales

2003 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

My 2003 Accord LX is as good as it was when I bought it in 2003. With 267,844 miles it still runs like the day I bought it. Of course I kept the maintenance and changed the timing belt and water pump every 60K miles. I will be buying 2016 Accord in April.

225,000 miles and still a beast
By Lilbit Libra

2003 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing this review because I have owned my Honda accord since 2003. I have done very little repairs over the 10+ years. Only replaced an O2 sensor. Its has been a godsend. Only had transmission problem because McGee tire put junk fluid. As soon as I put Honda trans fluid back in, zero problems. My car just hit 225,000 and just had to give her front end brakes, rotors, bearings, tie rods. All general maintenance. This car will last forever.Its death due us part so look for my 500k update.

Welcome to Lowered Expectations
By James M. Krupski

2003 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

First of all I am not sure if my car is an LX or EX or what...it just has a V6 emblem on the right side of the back surface. I know it is a V6 with 4 doors, electric leather heated seats, 6 CD in dash CD changer and an electric moon roof...no navigation system. At first glance my car looked very nice when I bought it several years ago. Its sporty look, accessories and power captured my attention. The asking price seemed a little high at the used car dealer. But I relied on Honda's reputation for making solid, reliable vehicles to consider it worth the price. But, just in case, I scoured the internet for feedback from existing owners and mechanics with hardly a peep. I even checked Consumer's Digest and they gave it a great rating even after the transmissions had been recalled (They neglected to mention the recall in the review). Now, several years and several thousand dollars above the purchase price in repairs later, I have a piece of junk that keeps breaking in expensive ways. I have replaced the transmission, central computer module, power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, brakes (discs and all twice) and the electric window motor in the driver's door. I used to wash and wax the car on a regular basis. But then the clear-coat started coming off of the paint job and rust started appearing along the tire wells, leading edge of the trunk lid and the leading edge of the hood. Now one can simply look online and see web site after web site speaking volumes about how poorly these were made. It's true...you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression. As far as I am concerned now Honda is without honor for creating such a horrible vehicle and for not taking responsibility for it's poor craftsmanship when so many problems surfaced on such a large scale. This is simply not worth the scrap metal and plastic it was made with. I am stuck with it since I cannot afford to risk getting another used vehicle that may be a money pit as well and I certainly can't afford a brand new vehicle since I am now a disabled cancer survivor living on SSI. I guess it just sucks to be me and Honda doesn't have to take any responsibility for the mess they have created. *sigh*