129,000 miles - never a big problem
By chris082087 on
2002 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)
I purchased the car used from a dealer in 08 at 93,000 miles. While I owned the car, it was maintained well. I had the oil changed every 3-5k. I had the timing belt and plugs changed at the 120k mark ($900ish). I never had a problem, and I drove the car pretty hard. I ended up getting T-boned around 129k and the car was totaled... Every few months, something would come-up (vibration, check engine light, funny engine sound), but it always turned out to be minor and I don't think I ever spent more than $100 each I took it into the shop for any of those problems.
Favorite Features
I neglected to change the oil after about 4.5k and the car refuse to accelerate past 2.5k rpms.. not being a car person, I was really worried that the engine was seriously damaged. I took it in to Honda and had it checked out... As it turns out, the car was doing exactly what it was designed to do. It's computer was designed to prevent a lack of oil from causing serious damage. Honda changed the oil, reset the computer, and sent me on my way for less than $100. It was back to normal after that..