Used 2002 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Bad Transmission
By Honda user

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second accord (2002 SE 4 Door we owned), after my mom totaled our first one. We got it from a local used car dealership, the transmission started sliding when we hit 82k miles. While it is not worth it to have it replaced anymore, we can only live with it, and expecting jerking while step on the acceleration paddle.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, interior design, handling

Suggested Improvements

brake is too weak, and they gotta fix this transmission.

Honda 2002 Accord V6 - never again
By Ray94903

2002 Honda Accord LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Accord 2002 V6 is apparently a lemon with regard to transmissions - 385 reported failures around the 110,000/120,000 mile mark. No recall because it's not a safety issue, and no class action (YET!) Timing chain went at 100,000 - $1,500 - also a "known issue". Paint is starting to fail - also a known issue. How many known issues with this vehicle do I have to know about? I'm looking at $4,000 for a new transmission. We've been a 2-Honda family for the last 15 years. We will not even be a 1-Honda family ever again.

Suggested Improvements

Install a transmission that lasts longer than 100,000 miles.

Love everything about my Honda
By Mrs. Larimer

2002 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Honda brand new when I turned age 61. I do maintenance on it according to the manual. It has 75,000 miles on it now. No problems whatsoever. It handles very good, gets 23 MPG in town and 30 MPG on highway. I have a bad back but the drivers seat is so comfortable since I can adjust it to fit the small of my back. I will buy another Honda when I need to trade.

Favorite Features

power sunroof, leather seats, 6 disc CD, gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

nothing needed to make me any happier with this car

I love my Accord but
By kingstonian

2002 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago and it has been very reliable. Once I had a starter problem which I replaced myself. This car only have 38, thousand miles on it but already it seems like it's beginning to develop transmission problems. At first I started hearing a little whirring, almost imperceptible sounds. Now its like a siren. Its takes eternity to shift from 3rd to 4th gear. When its slowing to a stop, I feel the tranny slams into a first gear. The fuel econ is not so great, but then again I live on a hilly island of St Thomas usvi.

Favorite Features

I love the car's exterior profile. The interior is durable and not one piece of panel is shaking. Bearing in mind that the roads here are very bad. The ac is very cool even in the summer

Suggested Improvements

Improve on the automatic transmission. Also improve on the instrumentation, The lighting are just plain and boring. I have seen the instrument lighting and designs on Kias looking much better.

2002 Honda Accord EX V6 sedan.. A++
By david

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years ago with 48,000 miles on it from a friend who buys cars from the dealer only auctions.I did my research and saw the 02 EX V6 came with a lot of standard items that were options on the earlier years. I also saw that the earlier years had transmission problems. The V6 has plenty of power for this car.I have had no problems with this car. This is a GREAT CAR! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, the car just turned to 92,000 miles so I found a great deal on ebay for a COMPLETE timing belt kit. Local dealer cost 450.00 eBay 325.00 including shipping from a Honda dealership. That's the biggest expense I've had to put into the car.I Would definitely buy this car again. A+

Favorite Features

I like loaded top of the line cars. I looked on eBay a few years ago and got the factory fog lights and sunroof deflector, woodgrain steering wheel and woodgrain radio bezel at WAY below cost. I also lowered the car by 1 inch replacing just the springs what a BIG difference that makes in handling.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been nice with heated seats,It was offered on the Canada models in 02 but not till the 03 models in USA. The lumbar driver seat handle and lumbar mechanism is BAD.What a waste having it in the car! The road noise is a little too much, nothing turning up the radio cant take of. LOL