Used 2002 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

My first & last Honda
By davria

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car when gas prices went sky high & needed to get out from under my SUV. Seemed like a solid investment, clean carfax, only 55k miles. Only had to do minor stuff to it for the first 20k (brakes, tires, etc). Then the CEL came on and I started to smell gas around 79k miles, took it to a mechanic & car leaking gas, quoted $900 on the low end/$1500 high to fix. No dealership would take it as a trade because they couldn't transport it. Paid to fix it & replaced both wheel bearings, drove it another 2k and the transmission failed. Quoted $2k on the low end/$3500 high, paid to fix it and the CEL came back on, needs new evap canister & TCS keeps kicking on. I'd never buy another Honda.

Favorite Features

Nice looking, driving, comfortable car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. I've put almost $3500 into it in the last 6 months (gas tank, wheel bearings, transmission, etc) and still not done, it's causing me some serious insomnia. Wish I never sold my SUV. :(

Hope I don't jinx myself!
By Rick

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Just happened to come across these reviews, thought I'd toss in my .02. I have over 245,000 miles on my 2002 Accord, 4 cyl. auto, and have performed all scheduled maintenance: timing belts @ 90K, oil change every 5- 7,000 miles, trans fluid changed, the works. My first Honda, a 1990 Civic, had over 250,000 miles before I bought the Accord. I do lots of highway driving, but have no reason to stray from Hondas.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is having it paid off. Not a looker, just reliable transportation.

BUY ONE
By love-it1191

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this ex v6 from a local dealer about a year ago with 54k on the odometer. Today there is just over 90k. Ive gone on several trips to the mountains and MI over the year. The v-6 has great acceleration, the traction control comes in handy with this powerhouse. The tranny at times hesitates and has issues finding the gear it wants but thats only when its cold. The ride is great, in the twisty roads of the mountains it handles like a sports car but smooth like glass on the highway. I would suggest this car to anyone, in the past year and 36k later no issues what so ever, plan on running this one into the ground.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, color combo (black on grey leather), V6, build quality rated 9 because the sunroof squeaks in the closed position and when the windows are down and u close the door it sounds like the door panel is going to fall off, and love its Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats, which they already did, and change the timing belt to a timing belt, more comfortable front seats.

Never Again
By Disappointed

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned three Honda Accords - the oldest accord I owned was a wagon and was by far the best one. The 94 honda coupe and 2002 SE both had transmission problems once 90k + miles were reached. I thought the 94 was just a lemon, but how could I buy a lemon twice from a Honda Dealer? The Honda was nice while it lasted, but that is the problem - they didn't last. I will be trading my Honda for a Toyota, and will not be purchasing anymore Honda's. As another poster mentioned, Honda has lost their "quality" in workmanship.

Favorite Features

sun roof

Suggested Improvements

improve the quality of the transmission and exterior paint

Bad Transmission
By Honda Owner

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Always owned Honda, Acura or Toyota due to the quality of the cars. Now I have this 2002 Honda Accord, 4cyl. I am very disappointed. I have 106k miles and the transmission is slipping. I had the major service performed and am told the transmission will need replaced. Honda will do nothing-says that my VIN# does not qualify for the 109k ext. warranty. Obviously, there are several others having the same issue & their VIN doesn't qualify either. Honda obviously has a problem with these cars and is not willing to do anything. Very disappointed. My next car will probably be a Toyota again. Wanted this car to last a long time but Honda is not taking care of the problem as they should.

Favorite Features

Great Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission issue