Used 2002 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 377 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Good car
By owneriam

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a brand new '02 EX V6 coupe and kept it 8 yrs (10/01-11/09).
I gave me 8 trouble-free years so I owe it a nice review.

The only issue it ever had was 1 or 2 dried out engine seals.
It did sit for 4 months while I recovered from an accident so not sure if it sitting awhile had anything to do with it.

The only negative things I'd say about it was the poor visibility out the rear (you get used to it) and the disappointing gas mileage I got.
I drove 90% city and the low fuel light consistantly came on at ~265 miles each tank.

I miss that paid off car!!
I sold it with 79k+ on it to a very happy person.

Oil consumption issues & soon-to-go tranny
By honda4311

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The cherry red accord has 120,000 miles on it and as of the fall of 2011, has been consuming 1/2 quart of oil per week.
It is evident the oil rings went bad as black oil deposits coat the inside of the tailpipe.
It's not blowing blue smoke, just consuming oil.
We are still on the original transmission, which is better than most people have faired, but the hesitation in shifting is evident.
When you slow down, you must come to a complete stop and wait a second for the car to shift into 1rst gear.
Oh, Honda, I lost a lot of respect for you & these engineering f*&k ups and you won't admit it.
I drive a 2003 Civic LX with roughly the same mileage.
It has been a gem.
No issues whatsoever.

Hire an new set of transmission and piston ring engineers.

Bad Transmission
By sparkylawdog

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2002 Accord 4 cyl about a year and a half ago, had about 85,000 miles on it. Before purchasing, took it to a Honda dealership, who checked it out. They said it was in great shape. It now needs a new transmission, with less than 100,000 miles. I've never had a car with less than 100,000 miles on it need a transmission. But from what I've heard, this seems to be a recurring problem with these cars. Contacted American Honda, who said they would not help with the repair (You know, I'm not the original owner, they have no dealership maintenance records, etc etc). Why should I expect them to own up to a known problem with their cars? Will probably be the last Honda I buy for a while.

Transmission
By xyz14

2002 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan w/ABS (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I had transmission breakdown in my 2002 Accord EX, 4-cyl just close to 70,000 miles. The dealer price was
$3500. This was too much and I got it fixed outside for $1500 which is not performing very good.
Now I am hearing from several mechanics that you are lucky if you did not have transmission issues with a Honda before reaching 100,000 Miles. Note that Honda transmission flush needs the most expensive oil and costs more than some luxury cars; may be to compensate for their bad design.

I love it
By trevohnco

2002 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Since April of 2002 ive had a 2002 Honda Accord ex-l and its still kicking i love the ride quality and really cant understand why other people say that the accord doesnt last past 150k. So far ive driven a little over 306,654 miles in the past nine years and i dont plan on trading it in or buying a new car until it cant be driven anymore. I can also say that ive never changed the engine ir transmission only have changed a sensor.

The seats and sunroof and speed.

nothing can be changed now 2002 is long gone.