2002 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Love everything about my Honda
By Mrs. Larimer on 04/20/10 14:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Honda brand new when I turned age 61. I do maintenance on it according to the manual. It has 75,000 miles on it now. No problems whatsoever. It handles very good, gets 23 MPG in town and 30 MPG on highway. I have a bad back but the drivers seat is so comfortable since I can adjust it to fit the small of my back. I will buy another Honda when I need to trade.

I love my Accord but
By kingstonian on 04/12/10 17:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago and it has been very reliable. Once I had a starter problem which I replaced myself. This car only have 38, thousand miles on it but already it seems like it's beginning to develop transmission problems. At first I started hearing a little whirring, almost imperceptible sounds. Now its like a siren. Its takes eternity to shift from 3rd to 4th gear. When its slowing to a stop, I feel the tranny slams into a first gear. The fuel econ is not so great, but then again I live on a hilly island of St Thomas usvi.

2002 Honda Accord EX V6 sedan.. A++
By david on 04/01/10 08:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years ago with 48,000 miles on it from a friend who buys cars from the dealer only auctions.I did my research and saw the 02 EX V6 came with a lot of standard items that were options on the earlier years. I also saw that the earlier years had transmission problems. The V6 has plenty of power for this car.I have had no problems with this car. This is a GREAT CAR! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, the car just turned to 92,000 miles so I found a great deal on ebay for a COMPLETE timing belt kit. Local dealer cost 450.00 eBay 325.00 including shipping from a Honda dealership. That's the biggest expense I've had to put into the car.I Would definitely buy this car again. A+

My first & last Honda
By davria on 03/29/10 09:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car when gas prices went sky high & needed to get out from under my SUV. Seemed like a solid investment, clean carfax, only 55k miles. Only had to do minor stuff to it for the first 20k (brakes, tires, etc). Then the CEL came on and I started to smell gas around 79k miles, took it to a mechanic & car leaking gas, quoted $900 on the low end/$1500 high to fix. No dealership would take it as a trade because they couldn't transport it. Paid to fix it & replaced both wheel bearings, drove it another 2k and the transmission failed. Quoted $2k on the low end/$3500 high, paid to fix it and the CEL came back on, needs new evap canister & TCS keeps kicking on. I'd never buy another Honda.

Hope I don't jinx myself!
By Rick on 02/01/10 13:29 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Just happened to come across these reviews, thought I'd toss in my .02. I have over 245,000 miles on my 2002 Accord, 4 cyl. auto, and have performed all scheduled maintenance: timing belts @ 90K, oil change every 5- 7,000 miles, trans fluid changed, the works. My first Honda, a 1990 Civic, had over 250,000 miles before I bought the Accord. I do lots of highway driving, but have no reason to stray from Hondas.

BUY ONE
By love-it1191 on 01/27/10 17:27 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this ex v6 from a local dealer about a year ago with 54k on the odometer. Today there is just over 90k. Ive gone on several trips to the mountains and MI over the year. The v-6 has great acceleration, the traction control comes in handy with this powerhouse. The tranny at times hesitates and has issues finding the gear it wants but thats only when its cold. The ride is great, in the twisty roads of the mountains it handles like a sports car but smooth like glass on the highway. I would suggest this car to anyone, in the past year and 36k later no issues what so ever, plan on running this one into the ground.

Never Again
By Disappointed on 01/13/10 19:59 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned three Honda Accords - the oldest accord I owned was a wagon and was by far the best one. The 94 honda coupe and 2002 SE both had transmission problems once 90k + miles were reached. I thought the 94 was just a lemon, but how could I buy a lemon twice from a Honda Dealer? The Honda was nice while it lasted, but that is the problem - they didn't last. I will be trading my Honda for a Toyota, and will not be purchasing anymore Honda's. As another poster mentioned, Honda has lost their "quality" in workmanship.

Bad Transmission
By Honda Owner on 11/19/09 11:03 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Always owned Honda, Acura or Toyota due to the quality of the cars. Now I have this 2002 Honda Accord, 4cyl. I am very disappointed. I have 106k miles and the transmission is slipping. I had the major service performed and am told the transmission will need replaced. Honda will do nothing-says that my VIN# does not qualify for the 109k ext. warranty. Obviously, there are several others having the same issue & their VIN doesn't qualify either. Honda obviously has a problem with these cars and is not willing to do anything. Very disappointed. My next car will probably be a Toyota again. Wanted this car to last a long time but Honda is not taking care of the problem as they should.

Honda is the best! Simply not true.
By alpha on 10/06/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in 2004 with 38,000 miles. I was told that Honda is the best. I replaced the transmission twice at 48,000 miles and again at 92,000 miles. I do all the recommended maintenance using quality parts. I start experiencing loss of power, so I did a full tune up, used super gas, but still the car wont pick up speed and can be dangerous merging into the highway with poor acceleration. Mechanic said nothing else can be done to solve this problem. Some of the interior is cheap plastic easy to break or crack. I'm just stuck with it for now. But will never buy a Honda again, I learned my lesson .

I am a very satisfied Honda owner
By ryankiel on 08/26/09 03:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It was my dream to by a reliable car, although I never thought I could afford a Honda. Well, I had the opportunity to buy my Honda four years ago when it had 25000 miles on it. Now it has 75000 miles on it, and I still have not had any problems. It runs like a top. My goal is to reach 300,000 miles, and it seems very likely that that will happen. I have been very careful to maintain it. Although some Accords have had transmission problems, I hope with mine it will never happen. It seems that with Hondas, usually if they are maintained, they will run for a long time.