Used 2002 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Cracked engine block
By exhondafan2

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the past 15 years, Iíve been a fan of Honda. In 2001, I bought a brand new Honda Accord and took meticulous care of the car. While there were moments of spirited driving, there was never any abuse of the engine. After just 103,000 miles, the vehicle was diagnosed with a cracked engine block. Honda initially refused to participate in any repairs. However, after extensive discussions with Honda, they offered 1,500 in a 7,000 repair. Needless to say, for a car thatís supposedly legendary in terms of reliability, Iím disappointed in the quality of the car and Hondaís response. Given the poor quality of the product and the lack of customer service, I will never buy a Honda again.

-Great interior design and layout -Solid all-around performance until the engine block cracked

-An engine block that does not crack -Decent customer service

129,000 miles - never a big problem
By chris082087

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car used from a dealer in 08 at 93,000 miles. While I owned the car, it was maintained well. I had the oil changed every 3-5k. I had the timing belt and plugs changed at the 120k mark ($900ish). I never had a problem, and I drove the car pretty hard. I ended up getting T-boned around 129k and the car was totaled... Every few months, something would come-up (vibration, check engine light, funny engine sound), but it always turned out to be minor and I don't think I ever spent more than $100 each I took it into the shop for any of those problems.

I neglected to change the oil after about 4.5k and the car refuse to accelerate past 2.5k rpms.. not being a car person, I was really worried that the engine was seriously damaged. I took it in to Honda and had it checked out... As it turns out, the car was doing exactly what it was designed to do. It's computer was designed to prevent a lack of oil from causing serious damage. Honda changed the oil, reset the computer, and sent me on my way for less than $100. It was back to normal after that..

77K Dealer Maintained, Bad Transmission
By thx123

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Clearly this model's transmission has a design flaw. So many transmission failures at 70k mileage. I used to believe that people can drive a Honda and not worry about any major problem before 100K. It's certainly not the case for us, though our Accord has always been dealership maintained. My Honda dealer first asked us to spend nearly $1k to replace two broken engine mounts, then told us the transmission still needs to be replaced, and would cost another $4,6K, which is comparable to the kbb's used car price. It's a class action law suit waiting to happen. I think we've got enough people just from this review page. Honda, please take this issue seriously, don't try to hide from it.

Reliability (used to be), not any more.

Honda, be an honest car maker so people can follow.

I will never buy a Honda again
By Dawn Desser

2002 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe w/Side Airbags (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am on my 3rd Honda. My 2002 Accord only has 76,000 miles on it and the transmission went out. Cost me $3000.00 prior to that I had to replace the timing belt - had an oil leak also the master cylinder! Total in the past 4 months a whopping $4500.00. No recalls to speak of and HONDA AMERICA wouldn't do anything to assist. I have all my service records and always go to the HONDA dealership for repairs. HONDA has lost me as a customer forever.

There should be a recall on transmission.

Good, except for transmission
By FLDriver

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission problems! Transmission replaced at 110,000 miles and again at 165,000 miles. I have done the regularly scheduled maintenance on this car. I don't think it's my driving style either. For example, I usually get at least 60,000 miles from a set of tires (on third set). Honda replaced first transmission for me without any charge (or any explanation). Second one cost me $2k. Family has owned hondas since 1981. I have enjoyed owning this one for 9 years. Not sure if I will buy another Accord. I have not seen shining reviews of the 07 - 09 models.

V6 engine. Car interior still looks good after all these years.

Fix the transmission problems.