2002 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Transmission
By kyleoostrand1 on 09/08/12 15:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Had to replace the transmission at 90,000 miles and sometimes it doesn't want to start.

Oil consumption issues & soon-to-go tranny
By honda4311 on 02/29/12 18:49 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The cherry red accord has 120,000 miles on it and as of the fall of 2011, has been consuming 1/2 quart of oil per week. It is evident the oil rings went bad as black oil deposits coat the inside of the tailpipe. It's not blowing blue smoke, just consuming oil. We are still on the original transmission, which is better than most people have faired, but the hesitation in shifting is evident. When you slow down, you must come to a complete stop and wait a second for the car to shift into 1rst gear. Oh, Honda, I lost a lot of respect for you & these engineering f*&k ups and you won't admit it. I drive a 2003 Civic LX with roughly the same mileage. It has been a gem. No issues whatsoever.

UNSATISFIED!!!!!!
By marceladgomez on 07/16/11 20:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My first car was a 1996 Honda Civic with manuel transmission LOVED it I only had to replace the clutch. Well needless to say it got recked so I decided to buy another Honda but this one is a 2002 Accord. I didn't start having proplems, real problems until abour 120,000 miles and im seeing that that i pretty good compared to what i've been reading. Now the trany is slipping and they want about 3,000 dollars to replace and the car is now only worth about $5,000. I think this is redic. I thought Hondas were suppose to las for ever. I mean it's a Honda. I guess not.

Transmission
By Red King on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Made it to 126K, the transmission started slipping and a few months later thats all she wrote. The lights began to flash (engine, maint, and the D). Brought it to an honest transmission repair shop and he told me it was JUNK. $2000. to $2500. to rebuild it, 6 weeks before replaced timing belt, balance belt, water pump, sway bar bushing, plugs, transmission seal between engine $$$. Was a 3 Honda family not again. Thanks Honda

Fantastic Car
By crashrecovery on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best built, most reliable car I have ever owned. Replaced front brakes once, 2 batteries, 2 sets of tires, upgraded plugs to e3 and wires to Granatelli MPG+ 8 mm and installed a K&N filter in the factory air box. I've done oil changes every 3000 miles and just recent;y changed the trans fluid. Now it isn't a sports car, but it wasn't built to be. If that's what you want, get something else. The minor upgrades (< $225) have increased my fuel economy to 27 mpg! Any car with 100,000mi that runs this good and gets 27 mpg is a great ride!

Fantastic
By Amanda on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love Honda without a doubt. I've had 2 Accords and one Civic and I probably would've kept them all except 1 was totaled in a crash (not my fault) and the other Accord was damaged by hail. The Civic was tried and true but I wanted to upgrade. I have had nothing but luck with Hondas. They have held up and been nothing but good for me. GREAT gas mileage on all of them. Awesome ride, nice and smooth and they keep going, and going and going. I am completely spoiled by Honda and refuse to buy nothing else.

Transmission Failure
By Jana on 08/12/10 02:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've 2002 Accord SE and my transmission started slipping when I hit the acceleration from 0 to 20 with check engine lights on, and on further tests Honda declares a BAD TRANSMISSION at 96,400 miles. It looks like I'm not alone here and I strongly wish Honda to recall this model.

Bad Transmission
By Honda user on 05/29/10 16:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second accord (2002 SE 4 Door we owned), after my mom totaled our first one. We got it from a local used car dealership, the transmission started sliding when we hit 82k miles. While it is not worth it to have it replaced anymore, we can only live with it, and expecting jerking while step on the acceleration paddle.

Never Again
By Disappointed on 01/13/10 19:59 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned three Honda Accords - the oldest accord I owned was a wagon and was by far the best one. The 94 honda coupe and 2002 SE both had transmission problems once 90k + miles were reached. I thought the 94 was just a lemon, but how could I buy a lemon twice from a Honda Dealer? The Honda was nice while it lasted, but that is the problem - they didn't last. I will be trading my Honda for a Toyota, and will not be purchasing anymore Honda's. As another poster mentioned, Honda has lost their "quality" in workmanship.

I Love My Honda!
By philliplove1290 on 06/20/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is amazing! Bought it at 59,198 mi. and I'm still as in love with it as when I bought it! Shifts BEAUTIFULLY! Cruise control is fantastic. Now at 66,000 mi. it's still running fine. I hope to keep this car for many many many years to come! I love this car!!!!!!!