Used 2002 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

300k and going
By James Oldeen

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it new right after high school. Dogged it, romped on it and attempted something like e-breaking. Never missed an oil change or transmission fluid drain. Timing belt/water pumps lasted me about 100k miles. Air conditioner fan motor went out @ 150k Replaced upper/lower radiator hoses with that. Transmission went out @ 189k Replaced with remanufactured for $1500 + $790 for removal/install. Rotors resurfaced @ 200k and had quite a bit more break work done with that. Starter went out @ 250k Timing belt/water pump and tune @ ~278k Oil pan gasket failed @ 280k Radiator failed @ 285k Front passanger wheel bearing @ 290k.

Favorite Features

Reliability, cheap fixes and gas mileage on highway.

Suggested Improvements

BF Goodrich touring tires or Michelin pilots are great tires for this car.

Great car
By bsedgal

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this car from '05 (55k miles) to 2011 (140k miles). No issues whatsoever. That is, outside of ordinary maintenance. the only thing I remember is that the hood latch wouldn't close without pressing down on the cable with a screw driver. I kept good on sticking to the maintenance schedule with all the suggested items. Yes I replaced the tranny fluid so NO I did not have tranny problems. Seems most people don't take care of their trannys then blame the Honda for tranny failures. Great car, wish I didn't have to sell it but after 3 kids, had to get a minivan.

Good Honda!
By dowpwr

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2002 EX V6. Put 230,000 miles on it. I bought it new. This has been a good car overall. Yes, it did have some transmission issues, but over 230k, it never let me down. The issue was between 1st and 2nd gear, but if you don't beat on it, it will last. Still original Tranny! It is noisy on the highway as well. Never had an electrical problem with the car, and it has never left me stranded. I took great care of the car, waxing it twice a year, changing fluids, etc. The paint started to fade out a bit after 10 years. Car was garage kept most of it's life. I'd buy another honda accord.

Favorite Features

Value, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could use an overhaul, loud on highway.

A GREAT car!
By moderate1

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2002 Accord sedan, but wish I had gone with the coupe :( and ABS. It's a great car I bought it used from the dealer in 2005 and luckily it still had some of it's warranty left had it so when the trans started slipping they fixed it and gave me a rental car all for free and had it fixed in a day. The reason I love it so much is because it's not like these new cars where you HAVE to take it to the mechanic to get it fixed because the engine is covered or it's got comp glitches. I can change my spark plugs easily and that I like. It's very loud when driving on the freeway, you can barely hear the person sitting next to you. If you take care of your car you should have no problems.

Favorite Features

Simple easy ride. Engine is easily accessible making it easy to work on yourself or cheaper to get fixed because of that. It also never has broken down on me in 7 yrs, except when the trans slipped but that was under warranty and no problems since then.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is rubbish, I get 23 mixed street/hwy. Very loud inside the car when on the freeway as if both sides windows are a crack open. ABS should come standard.

ALWAYS TRANSMISSION!!!!!!
By yiven421

2002 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am getting mad about the transmission when it is 86,000 miles. The car viborated a lot when turning from N to D4 or when stopping, the dealer charged me $5400 for a new one and about $3000 for a used one. [non-permissible content removed] I hate Honda!!!!