Used 2002 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Most reliable car I have ever owned
By Erik E.

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Honda Accord 3 years ago because I was sick of fixing my daughters peace of junk Kia to the tune of over $5000.00! This car has been nothing more than amazing to say the least. By far the most reliable car I have ever owned in my life. I bought it with about 90,000 miles on it and it now has 140,000 miles and I have only done regular maintenance on it like oil changes and transmission service etc. I have wanted to purchase another car because I am a bit tired of it, but how do you get rid of a bullet proof car that starts perfectly every time and gets 26mpg city and 38mpg highway along with perfect reliability. I have read many reviews that say there are transmission problems with automatic transmissions, mine has been flawless so far. I don't know if my lack of transmission problems has to do with the fact I am a perfectionist who has all service up to date before it's needed or it may have to do with the fact my Honda is a 4cyl and there are more problems with the 6cyl engine and the automatic transmission. I have read a few articles that blame the heat of 6cyl motor affecting the transmission failure, I don't know if there is any science in that theory though. Anyhow, the car drives smooth, plenty of power, does not burn any oil nor does it leak a drop of anything, built solid, interior still looks great, everything works as it should and its very easy to drive. If there was a down side to this car it would only be the clear coat is pealing on the roof, but heck its got 140,000 miles on it and sits outside 24/7. It is a great car and that is why you still see these old cars on the road after being 14 years old.

Great Car, Great Value
By Steve Linthicum

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

It is a wonder to me that Hondas of this vintage are still a common site on the roads.

Burning oil @ 150K 13yr old 400miles / 1qt
By chris

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

how frustrating wanted another 3 years to get to go from 156K to 200K but it seems I will only make it another 5-10,000 miles. Everything else is running well but at 14 years you gotta be realistic. Havent done an engine flush yet, no tailpipe smoke and engine runs well but the oil just disappears. Changed PCV and air filter and spark plugs are next. Blue book is $2500 thats an engine job easy. Any suggestions on oil flush? Been filling with Castrol GTX high milage for past 4 quarts and will continue. Will try to do $20 oil changes every 2000 miles to see if high milage is cleaning piston ring areas. Would go and buy new but live in CT and they tax you for the NADA value of your car EVERY year!! Not cool having a 700-800 tax bill decreasing every year.

Thanks for saving my life :).
By Heidi Wilder

2002 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm greatful for the desig of this car. I got in a very serious accident and was lucky to survive. I'm glad my car was built the way it was! I've had this car for three years till this accident and no major issues! I did have to do one repair from the get-go, but that's because I got it as a remade car. Have loved my car!

300k and going
By James Oldeen

2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it new right after high school. Dogged it, romped on it and attempted something like e-breaking. Never missed an oil change or transmission fluid drain. Timing belt/water pumps lasted me about 100k miles. Air conditioner fan motor went out @ 150k Replaced upper/lower radiator hoses with that. Transmission went out @ 189k Replaced with remanufactured for $1500 + $790 for removal/install. Rotors resurfaced @ 200k and had quite a bit more break work done with that. Starter went out @ 250k Timing belt/water pump and tune @ ~278k Oil pan gasket failed @ 280k Radiator failed @ 285k Front passanger wheel bearing @ 290k.

Reliability, cheap fixes and gas mileage on highway.

BF Goodrich touring tires or Michelin pilots are great tires for this car.

• SUV