Used 2002 Honda Accord SE Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Don't Buy a Honda The company won't back their Cars
By jrocchio

2002 Honda Accord Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Accord brand new, and expected to have a good reliable car. I was mistaken. The first thing that happened was at 12,000 miles. The transmission stopped working. Honda gave me a hard time , but finally replaced it with a factory rebuilt one that never worked right. Second at 32,000. miles the paint on the hood pealed of the hood. Honda would not do anything about it my cost $800 to repair. At 36,000. miles the brake calipers froze up . Honda would not help at all. $750.00 my costs. On the Cat converter the cover had to be replaced every two years. at 60,000 mile the Cat converter crapped out. Even though the emissions are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles they would not cover it. At the dealership they crashed my car into another car as I was waiting for my car after another $1000. repair. I saw the accident happen, and they tried to say the damage was already there. My license plate was laying in their lot with part of my bumper. Honda did pay for that, but they had a lot of nerve about the whole situation. Now the transmission again was getting worse and worse. Now the car does not move. I had four documented complaints about the transmission, and Honda of America said they don't owe me anything and won't help at all. The car looks great garaged, and never missed a maintenance check. Honda was the only one that ever worked on the car. Now I have a nice looking peace of garbage sitting in my driveway waiting to be crushed at some junk yard. Honda's are garbage and they know it. Read up on this six generation Accord and everyone that has owned this car had many tranny problems, and Honda just does not care. Don't buy a Honda. I will never buy one again.

Looks great. Nice seats. Great radio.

A working Transmission

Honda should be ashamed!
By Disappointed

2002 Honda Accord Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car a few years ago. It had almost 50k miles on it. A year later I had to replace the transmission. A good thing that I had a warranty. About 9 months later, the check engine light came on. Autozone says it's a transmission problem. Take it to Aamco and they don't know what the problem is. In the last 3 months I have smelled transmission fluid burning. I'm not paying Honda a dime for a diagnostic. I'm just gonna buy something else. The sad part is that Honda knows this is a problem with this model. For some stupid reason, the class action lawsuit didn't cover this year Honda. I will never buy another Honda!

I used to love to drive this car and I hate to give it up. Good on gas, great handling. Have had no other problems.

The transmission should not break down after 65k miles.

Some good, Some bad
By MrGallant

2002 Honda Accord Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I picked up my Honda in '02, wanting a troublefree commuter car. At 26K, the transmission completely died on mine. This is apparently common. The dealerships say otherwise. The car is pretty solid, though and the gas mileage is 25-30. The interior fabric is in fact, junk. For what this car cost, I expected better. The electrical system has always been junk, with more bugs than a rain forest. Also, be forewarned that your insurance will be high for this car, as Hondas are theft magnets. Too much cabin noise, but great trunk space. Back seat's a joke. 23K bought no luxury, but still wasn't cheap. Decide if you want to go upmarket or be and affordable hauler.

Car is easy to drive, if not fun. Highish resale value. It's not a Mazda. No daytime running lights. Huge trunk.

DUPE ME BUT ONCE!!!!!!
By DUPE me ONCE

2002 Honda Accord Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Honda cars are BOTH over priced AND over rated!!! I was promised EXCELLENT mileage (actual; 15/25), EXCELLENT build quality (rattles everywhere), EXCELLENT dealer relationship (they've as much told me to stop talking to anyone about the problems with this gas hog and to go to H$%L). After twenty six months, this Honda Accord SE Coupe is in MINT condition with 28k miles, yet last month I was allowed 12,700 on a trade in. Go figure!!!!! Dupe me but ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leased

EVERYTHING

suckered
By back to Chevy

2002 Honda Accord Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Uncomfortable seating creates leg fatigue after 15 minutes even with adjustments, cheap fabrics have worn quickly, heater and a/c very slow, gas mileage is horrible (15/25), ride is akin to a buckboard, 'loose' steering at highway speeds, an annouying rattle in the dash, low beams ineffective, plastic bumper cover paint no longer matches body color, etc. Dealer less than helpful. Honda provides no email address. HATE to be in it!

No DRL, leased, exterior appearance

Make good on gas mileage promise, honor warranty claims, Honda needs to evaluate dealer attitude AND provide an email address. Honda has lost me as a future customer.