Used 2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Good car
By owneriam

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a brand new '02 EX V6 coupe and kept it 8 yrs (10/01-11/09). I gave me 8 trouble-free years so I owe it a nice review. The only issue it ever had was 1 or 2 dried out engine seals. It did sit for 4 months while I recovered from an accident so not sure if it sitting awhile had anything to do with it. The only negative things I'd say about it was the poor visibility out the rear (you get used to it) and the disappointing gas mileage I got. I drove 90% city and the low fuel light consistantly came on at ~265 miles each tank. I miss that paid off car!! I sold it with 79k+ on it to a very happy person.

Bad Transmission
By sparkylawdog

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2002 Accord 4 cyl about a year and a half ago, had about 85,000 miles on it. Before purchasing, took it to a Honda dealership, who checked it out. They said it was in great shape. It now needs a new transmission, with less than 100,000 miles. I've never had a car with less than 100,000 miles on it need a transmission. But from what I've heard, this seems to be a recurring problem with these cars. Contacted American Honda, who said they would not help with the repair (You know, I'm not the original owner, they have no dealership maintenance records, etc etc). Why should I expect them to own up to a known problem with their cars? Will probably be the last Honda I buy for a while.

77K Dealer Maintained, Bad Transmission
By thx123

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Clearly this model's transmission has a design flaw. So many transmission failures at 70k mileage. I used to believe that people can drive a Honda and not worry about any major problem before 100K. It's certainly not the case for us, though our Accord has always been dealership maintained. My Honda dealer first asked us to spend nearly $1k to replace two broken engine mounts, then told us the transmission still needs to be replaced, and would cost another $4,6K, which is comparable to the kbb's used car price. It's a class action law suit waiting to happen. I think we've got enough people just from this review page. Honda, please take this issue seriously, don't try to hide from it.

Reliability (used to be), not any more.

Honda, be an honest car maker so people can follow.

Good, except for transmission
By FLDriver

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission problems! Transmission replaced at 110,000 miles and again at 165,000 miles. I have done the regularly scheduled maintenance on this car. I don't think it's my driving style either. For example, I usually get at least 60,000 miles from a set of tires (on third set). Honda replaced first transmission for me without any charge (or any explanation). Second one cost me $2k. Family has owned hondas since 1981. I have enjoyed owning this one for 9 years. Not sure if I will buy another Accord. I have not seen shining reviews of the 07 - 09 models.

V6 engine. Car interior still looks good after all these years.

Fix the transmission problems.

Nice EX V-6 Coupe
By Matt

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my EX-V6 coupe about six months ago and do not regret my decision. Have owned two Hondas previously, a 1993 and a 2001, both four cylinders. You can really tell the difference in the V6, much smoother at idle, much quieter, and easier to go around town. Get about 25 on the highway and about 20 in the city. The interior is very nicely laid out, everything is very clear and easy to reach. The auto climate control, sunroof, and leather sport seats add a lot of comfort. The trunk is large enough for many golf bags. The exterior is very nice looking as well, especially with the spoiler and exhaust tips. Just need some fogs. All I need is some better tires, way too loud.

V6 performance and smoothness, ride quality, great interior quality, big trunk, smooth exterior with nice 16" wheels, reliable.

Heated seats should have been an option on a 2002 model (they finally came in 2003), front seats should be able to move forward like passenger seat for easier access.