Used 2002 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Accord Coupe

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Transmission issues Honda Wont Acknowledge
By thuglife714

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I am the third owner of this car after my uncle. My uncle at 68,000 miles had to replace the transmission $2500. Then later he sold the car to me. with 116,000 miles on it.. At 129,000 miles I had to rebuilt the transmission $1500 now currently at 143,100 miles symptoms of transmission slipping hesitating yet again. Meaning a new rebuilt.. engine code P1751. I was thinking of buying the 2014 accord but the problems this car has given me not going to. HONDA doesn't appreciate it's customers and doesn't want to acknowledge The Problem with these transmissions.. 98-02 models #HateHonda

Going for 200,000 miles
By ferguson10462

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2002 and haven't looked back. I have 180,000 miles on it now without issue. I have no interest in buying a new car. Even the new versions of the Honda Accord Coupe do not appeal to me. If they still offered this car without alteration as a new vehicle, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Body Style, Ergonomics, Fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Its a coupe, so its not that comfortable for the folks in the back. But I wouldn't change a thing.

Don't Buy a Honda The company won't back their Cars
By jrocchio

2002 Honda Accord Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Accord brand new, and expected to have a good reliable car. I was mistaken. The first thing that happened was at 12,000 miles. The transmission stopped working. Honda gave me a hard time , but finally replaced it with a factory rebuilt one that never worked right. Second at 32,000. miles the paint on the hood pealed of the hood. Honda would not do anything about it my cost $800 to repair. At 36,000. miles the brake calipers froze up . Honda would not help at all. $750.00 my costs. On the Cat converter the cover had to be replaced every two years. at 60,000 mile the Cat converter crapped out. Even though the emissions are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles they would not cover it. At the dealership they crashed my car into another car as I was waiting for my car after another $1000. repair. I saw the accident happen, and they tried to say the damage was already there. My license plate was laying in their lot with part of my bumper. Honda did pay for that, but they had a lot of nerve about the whole situation. Now the transmission again was getting worse and worse. Now the car does not move. I had four documented complaints about the transmission, and Honda of America said they don't owe me anything and won't help at all. The car looks great garaged, and never missed a maintenance check. Honda was the only one that ever worked on the car. Now I have a nice looking peace of garbage sitting in my driveway waiting to be crushed at some junk yard. Honda's are garbage and they know it. Read up on this six generation Accord and everyone that has owned this car had many tranny problems, and Honda just does not care. Don't buy a Honda. I will never buy one again.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Nice seats. Great radio.

Suggested Improvements

A working Transmission

Good car
By owneriam

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a brand new '02 EX V6 coupe and kept it 8 yrs (10/01-11/09). I gave me 8 trouble-free years so I owe it a nice review. The only issue it ever had was 1 or 2 dried out engine seals. It did sit for 4 months while I recovered from an accident so not sure if it sitting awhile had anything to do with it. The only negative things I'd say about it was the poor visibility out the rear (you get used to it) and the disappointing gas mileage I got. I drove 90% city and the low fuel light consistantly came on at ~265 miles each tank. I miss that paid off car!! I sold it with 79k+ on it to a very happy person.

Bad Transmission
By sparkylawdog

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2002 Accord 4 cyl about a year and a half ago, had about 85,000 miles on it. Before purchasing, took it to a Honda dealership, who checked it out. They said it was in great shape. It now needs a new transmission, with less than 100,000 miles. I've never had a car with less than 100,000 miles on it need a transmission. But from what I've heard, this seems to be a recurring problem with these cars. Contacted American Honda, who said they would not help with the repair (You know, I'm not the original owner, they have no dealership maintenance records, etc etc). Why should I expect them to own up to a known problem with their cars? Will probably be the last Honda I buy for a while.