2002 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Transmission issues Honda Wont Acknowledge
By thuglife714 on 04/01/14 21:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I am the third owner of this car after my uncle. My uncle at 68,000 miles had to replace the transmission $2500. Then later he sold the car to me. with 116,000 miles on it.. At 129,000 miles I had to rebuilt the transmission $1500 now currently at 143,100 miles symptoms of transmission slipping hesitating yet again. Meaning a new rebuilt.. engine code P1751. I was thinking of buying the 2014 accord but the problems this car has given me not going to. HONDA doesn't appreciate it's customers and doesn't want to acknowledge The Problem with these transmissions.. 98-02 models #HateHonda

Going for 200,000 miles
By ferguson10462 on 02/21/13 19:05 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2002 and haven't looked back. I have 180,000 miles on it now without issue. I have no interest in buying a new car. Even the new versions of the Honda Accord Coupe do not appeal to me. If they still offered this car without alteration as a new vehicle, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Don't Buy a Honda The company won't back their Cars
By jrocchio on 02/20/13 16:17 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Accord brand new, and expected to have a good reliable car. I was mistaken. The first thing that happened was at 12,000 miles. The transmission stopped working. Honda gave me a hard time , but finally replaced it with a factory rebuilt one that never worked right. Second at 32,000. miles the paint on the hood pealed of the hood. Honda would not do anything about it my cost $800 to repair. At 36,000. miles the brake calipers froze up . Honda would not help at all. $750.00 my costs. On the Cat converter the cover had to be replaced every two years. at 60,000 mile the Cat converter crapped out. Even though the emissions are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles they would not cover it. At the dealership they crashed my car into another car as I was waiting for my car after another $1000. repair. I saw the accident happen, and they tried to say the damage was already there. My license plate was laying in their lot with part of my bumper. Honda did pay for that, but they had a lot of nerve about the whole situation. Now the transmission again was getting worse and worse. Now the car does not move. I had four documented complaints about the transmission, and Honda of America said they don't owe me anything and won't help at all. The car looks great garaged, and never missed a maintenance check. Honda was the only one that ever worked on the car. Now I have a nice looking peace of garbage sitting in my driveway waiting to be crushed at some junk yard. Honda's are garbage and they know it. Read up on this six generation Accord and everyone that has owned this car had many tranny problems, and Honda just does not care. Don't buy a Honda. I will never buy one again.

Good car
By owneriam on 03/21/12 12:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a brand new '02 EX V6 coupe and kept it 8 yrs (10/01-11/09). I gave me 8 trouble-free years so I owe it a nice review. The only issue it ever had was 1 or 2 dried out engine seals. It did sit for 4 months while I recovered from an accident so not sure if it sitting awhile had anything to do with it. The only negative things I'd say about it was the poor visibility out the rear (you get used to it) and the disappointing gas mileage I got. I drove 90% city and the low fuel light consistantly came on at ~265 miles each tank. I miss that paid off car!! I sold it with 79k+ on it to a very happy person.

Bad Transmission
By sparkylawdog on 02/09/12 09:36 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2002 Accord 4 cyl about a year and a half ago, had about 85,000 miles on it. Before purchasing, took it to a Honda dealership, who checked it out. They said it was in great shape. It now needs a new transmission, with less than 100,000 miles. I've never had a car with less than 100,000 miles on it need a transmission. But from what I've heard, this seems to be a recurring problem with these cars. Contacted American Honda, who said they would not help with the repair (You know, I'm not the original owner, they have no dealership maintenance records, etc etc). Why should I expect them to own up to a known problem with their cars? Will probably be the last Honda I buy for a while.

Cracked engine block
By exhondafan2 on 10/22/11 23:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For the past 15 years, I’ve been a fan of Honda. In 2001, I bought a brand new Honda Accord and took meticulous care of the car. While there were moments of spirited driving, there was never any abuse of the engine. After just 103,000 miles, the vehicle was diagnosed with a cracked engine block. Honda initially refused to participate in any repairs. However, after extensive discussions with Honda, they offered 1,500 in a 7,000 repair. Needless to say, for a car that’s supposedly legendary in terms of reliability, I’m disappointed in the quality of the car and Honda’s response. Given the poor quality of the product and the lack of customer service, I will never buy a Honda again.

129,000 miles - never a big problem
By chris082087 on 03/29/11 14:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car used from a dealer in 08 at 93,000 miles. While I owned the car, it was maintained well. I had the oil changed every 3-5k. I had the timing belt and plugs changed at the 120k mark ($900ish). I never had a problem, and I drove the car pretty hard. I ended up getting T-boned around 129k and the car was totaled... Every few months, something would come-up (vibration, check engine light, funny engine sound), but it always turned out to be minor and I don't think I ever spent more than $100 each I took it into the shop for any of those problems.

77K Dealer Maintained, Bad Transmission
By thx123 on 03/13/11 15:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Clearly this model's transmission has a design flaw. So many transmission failures at 70k mileage. I used to believe that people can drive a Honda and not worry about any major problem before 100K. It's certainly not the case for us, though our Accord has always been dealership maintained. My Honda dealer first asked us to spend nearly $1k to replace two broken engine mounts, then told us the transmission still needs to be replaced, and would cost another $4,6K, which is comparable to the kbb's used car price. It's a class action law suit waiting to happen. I think we've got enough people just from this review page. Honda, please take this issue seriously, don't try to hide from it.

I will never buy a Honda again
By Dawn Desser on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe w/Side Airbags (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am on my 3rd Honda. My 2002 Accord only has 76,000 miles on it and the transmission went out. Cost me $3000.00 prior to that I had to replace the timing belt - had an oil leak also the master cylinder! Total in the past 4 months a whopping $4500.00. No recalls to speak of and HONDA AMERICA wouldn't do anything to assist. I have all my service records and always go to the HONDA dealership for repairs. HONDA has lost me as a customer forever.

Good, except for transmission
By FLDriver on 06/29/10 15:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission problems! Transmission replaced at 110,000 miles and again at 165,000 miles. I have done the regularly scheduled maintenance on this car. I don't think it's my driving style either. For example, I usually get at least 60,000 miles from a set of tires (on third set). Honda replaced first transmission for me without any charge (or any explanation). Second one cost me $2k. Family has owned hondas since 1981. I have enjoyed owning this one for 9 years. Not sure if I will buy another Accord. I have not seen shining reviews of the 07 - 09 models.