2002 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Good Honda!
By dowpwr on 04/18/14 18:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2002 EX V6. Put 230,000 miles on it. I bought it new. This has been a good car overall. Yes, it did have some transmission issues, but over 230k, it never let me down. The issue was between 1st and 2nd gear, but if you don't beat on it, it will last. Still original Tranny! It is noisy on the highway as well. Never had an electrical problem with the car, and it has never left me stranded. I took great care of the car, waxing it twice a year, changing fluids, etc. The paint started to fade out a bit after 10 years. Car was garage kept most of it's life. I'd buy another honda accord.

Transmission issues Honda Wont Acknowledge
By thuglife714 on 04/01/14 21:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I am the third owner of this car after my uncle. My uncle at 68,000 miles had to replace the transmission $2500. Then later he sold the car to me. with 116,000 miles on it.. At 129,000 miles I had to rebuilt the transmission $1500 now currently at 143,100 miles symptoms of transmission slipping hesitating yet again. Meaning a new rebuilt.. engine code P1751. I was thinking of buying the 2014 accord but the problems this car has given me not going to. HONDA doesn't appreciate it's customers and doesn't want to acknowledge The Problem with these transmissions.. 98-02 models #HateHonda

A GREAT car!
By moderate1 on 07/13/13 07:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my 2002 Accord sedan, but wish I had gone with the coupe :( and ABS. It's a great car I bought it used from the dealer in 2005 and luckily it still had some of it's warranty left had it so when the trans started slipping they fixed it and gave me a rental car all for free and had it fixed in a day. The reason I love it so much is because it's not like these new cars where you HAVE to take it to the mechanic to get it fixed because the engine is covered or it's got comp glitches. I can change my spark plugs easily and that I like. It's very loud when driving on the freeway, you can barely hear the person sitting next to you. If you take care of your car you should have no problems.

ALWAYS TRANSMISSION!!!!!!
By yiven421 on 06/11/13 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am getting mad about the transmission when it is 86,000 miles. The car viborated a lot when turning from N to D4 or when stopping, the dealer charged me $5400 for a new one and about $3000 for a used one. [non-permissible content removed] I hate Honda!!!!

Going for 200,000 miles
By ferguson10462 on 02/21/13 19:05 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe w/Leather (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2002 and haven't looked back. I have 180,000 miles on it now without issue. I have no interest in buying a new car. Even the new versions of the Honda Accord Coupe do not appeal to me. If they still offered this car without alteration as a new vehicle, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Don't Buy a Honda The company won't back their Cars
By jrocchio on 02/20/13 16:17 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord SE 2dr Coupe (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Accord brand new, and expected to have a good reliable car. I was mistaken. The first thing that happened was at 12,000 miles. The transmission stopped working. Honda gave me a hard time , but finally replaced it with a factory rebuilt one that never worked right. Second at 32,000. miles the paint on the hood pealed of the hood. Honda would not do anything about it my cost $800 to repair. At 36,000. miles the brake calipers froze up . Honda would not help at all. $750.00 my costs. On the Cat converter the cover had to be replaced every two years. at 60,000 mile the Cat converter crapped out. Even though the emissions are covered for eight years or 80,000 miles they would not cover it. At the dealership they crashed my car into another car as I was waiting for my car after another $1000. repair. I saw the accident happen, and they tried to say the damage was already there. My license plate was laying in their lot with part of my bumper. Honda did pay for that, but they had a lot of nerve about the whole situation. Now the transmission again was getting worse and worse. Now the car does not move. I had four documented complaints about the transmission, and Honda of America said they don't owe me anything and won't help at all. The car looks great garaged, and never missed a maintenance check. Honda was the only one that ever worked on the car. Now I have a nice looking peace of garbage sitting in my driveway waiting to be crushed at some junk yard. Honda's are garbage and they know it. Read up on this six generation Accord and everyone that has owned this car had many tranny problems, and Honda just does not care. Don't buy a Honda. I will never buy one again.

Transmission
By kyleoostrand1 on 09/08/12 15:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Had to replace the transmission at 90,000 miles and sometimes it doesn't want to start.

Good car
By owneriam on 03/21/12 12:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a brand new '02 EX V6 coupe and kept it 8 yrs (10/01-11/09). I gave me 8 trouble-free years so I owe it a nice review. The only issue it ever had was 1 or 2 dried out engine seals. It did sit for 4 months while I recovered from an accident so not sure if it sitting awhile had anything to do with it. The only negative things I'd say about it was the poor visibility out the rear (you get used to it) and the disappointing gas mileage I got. I drove 90% city and the low fuel light consistantly came on at ~265 miles each tank. I miss that paid off car!! I sold it with 79k+ on it to a very happy person.

Oil consumption issues & soon-to-go tranny
By honda4311 on 02/29/12 18:49 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The cherry red accord has 120,000 miles on it and as of the fall of 2011, has been consuming 1/2 quart of oil per week. It is evident the oil rings went bad as black oil deposits coat the inside of the tailpipe. It's not blowing blue smoke, just consuming oil. We are still on the original transmission, which is better than most people have faired, but the hesitation in shifting is evident. When you slow down, you must come to a complete stop and wait a second for the car to shift into 1rst gear. Oh, Honda, I lost a lot of respect for you & these engineering f*&k ups and you won't admit it. I drive a 2003 Civic LX with roughly the same mileage. It has been a gem. No issues whatsoever.

Bad Transmission
By sparkylawdog on 02/09/12 09:36 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2002 Accord 4 cyl about a year and a half ago, had about 85,000 miles on it. Before purchasing, took it to a Honda dealership, who checked it out. They said it was in great shape. It now needs a new transmission, with less than 100,000 miles. I've never had a car with less than 100,000 miles on it need a transmission. But from what I've heard, this seems to be a recurring problem with these cars. Contacted American Honda, who said they would not help with the repair (You know, I'm not the original owner, they have no dealership maintenance records, etc etc). Why should I expect them to own up to a known problem with their cars? Will probably be the last Honda I buy for a while.