2001 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Transmission problems
By Pamela Meyer on 11/21/09 16:07 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Honda - the others were reliable and I kept them serviced so they would last and they did. Except this one. The transmission is bad and needs to be replaced. The dealer won't replace it under the extended warranty of 7 years and 9 months (I don't drive a lot) but I'm still under the 109,000 mile warranty - it's whichever occurs first. I always trusted Honda's reputation for being a car that lasted a long time without major repairs until very high miles. This is the last Honda I'll ever buy. In my opinion Honda is slipping in quality.

Practical and reliable - not bad looking
By Madison on 10/16/09 10:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Thinking of giving it to my daughter now, but this car has been "bullet proof". Did a lot of commuting the first few years and had no problems. Ride a bit stiff and noisy with Firestone tires, but very sure footed. Fit-and-finish from the factory was outstanding, much better than my Toyota. I agree with others that the brakes could have been made a bit better. If you can find a clean one - not necessarily mine - it would be a great used car!

Update from previous review (100K)
By Sofyan Bey on 09/18/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am the third owner, I purchased this car from my sister in June 2009, she bought the car from the original owner in July 2007 with 66K on it for $10,300 when I bought the car from her in June of 2009 it had 95K on it. I bought it from her for $6,300 after she put on 30K in 2 years. The car is great, it just hit 100,015 today and runs like a new car. I did some maintenance over the summer, I replaced the front rotors and did the timing belt and water pump and had the rear rotors resurfaced and new pads put on. Today I just did the spark plugs bc they are original. I used to drive a 96 Camry and this car is so much nicer to drive and the V6 is smooth and powerful. Gas mileage is at 24 mpg.

Follow up review 4 years later
By ElectricalEngineer on 09/08/09 19:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I reviewed this car in October 2005. Now it is four years later, I still have the same Accord EXV6. I'm even happier after this much time has passed. I've made a lot of improvements to the sound system that resulted in complete disassembly. This is an excellent vehicle to work on. Everything is secured well. Panels can be removed and replaced without squeaking or rattling. It is still a great vehicle and I'm always getting compliments when people see the odometer. Do not hesitate to pick this one up!

Watch Out for EGR and Transmission
By jasony on 06/17/09 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced an aging Toyota Corolla with a gently used 2001 Accord. I read that there were problems with the V6 trans so we steered clear of those and got a 4cyl. We were deeply disappointed when the transmission on the car went out at 139000 miles. It was the same failure that the V6's had. We also had the dreaded EGR valve issue and spent weeks tracking it down and getting it fixed. I currently drive a 1992 Chevy S-10 that has been far less trouble, and far less expensive to maintain, than this supposedly "reliable" Honda. I don't want to curse all Hondas because I know they had a bad run, but if we had it to do over again we wouldn't have bought it. And it's soured me somewhat on Hondas.

Torn between new tranny or another car
By Michelle on 04/03/09 08:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car used October 2006 with high mileage (106K), but felt comfortable given Honda reputations (friends'/family members' Hondas average 250K). I should have done more research on car complaints to avoid the tranny issue - would have got the extended warranty (poor decision on my part). I really like the car though, having put 50K+ miles on it already. I love road trip travel often, so I just get the oil checked and go! I'll probably put the $$2200 in to replace the tranny because the body condition is MINT and all other aspects are working properly.

Hate to see it go
By sandman on 03/08/09 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife needed a new car. She test drove a few. When she drove the Accord, she had to have it. 4 yrs later, family is bigger and we get her a new Pilot. I get stuck with this (2001 lx 4dr 5spd). I gotta tell ya, I try to kill this thing every day, shifting at redline and aggressive downshifting. Always dealer serviced. I commute 50 miles a day. I drive this thing near its limits every day, and always get 31 mpg. 50/50 hwy, city. It's still as healthy as ever!

Honda Suspect
By chris on 03/07/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We've had lots of problems with our 2001 Honda. For starters the paint started peeling and the dealer and Honda refused to back it. Had to essentially repaint the car in 3 spots. Over the years other things went- gas gauge, transmission, now the interior lights go on and off when going over bumps. Any work done at the dealer was double the costs as elsewhere. The ride is fine in town, but on the highway is poor and very light - can feel the car moving on windy days. Very surprised that Honda gets such good ratings when this ranks as our lowest quality car- including other GM vehicles.

Solid vehicle
By MIke on 10/29/08 08:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Car has been trouble free. Only normal maintenance required. I always find that if you treat a vehicle (Honda, anyway) well it will last a long time. Just took a 5000 mile trip and averaged 32 mpg on the highway. Generally get about 22 in the city. We have never had a repair and the car has never failed. While I would like a new car, I have found very few that get the mileage I have experienced. I think I'll just stick with my EX.

Very Impressed
By xoquixxoqafxo on 05/20/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Accord Sedan EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Used to drive a 93 Honda Civic sedan and this car feels like a luxury car next to the civic. Don't get me wrong, i kind of wish i still had the civic b/c of todays gas prices but overall, this car is a nice change. The V6 engine is so unbelievably smooth but it is also FAST, and chirping the front tires at a stoplight is not a difficult thing to do. I love the handling as well, I have also driven a Toyota Camry and that car feels downright mushy next to the accord. I am a bit concerned with the failing transmissions with this generation but i recently had the fluid flushed and it has shifted smoothly since I bought it. I bought this car from the orig owner and I'm very pleased with it.