Used 2001 Honda Accord LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

160k and still going strong
By mikroma1

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My first car that I have ever bought back in April of 2010 with 108,000 miles. Now in August of 2013, I have put 52 k miles on it with very little maintenance. It's becoming an old car, so naturally, it isn't as equipped as new cars with usb/ipod, navigation, lane-watch, etc. That being said, it is hard to find lots of features in this outdated 2001 accord. Back then, I am sure the standard features in this car were up to date and seemed fresh, even for the less expensive lx trim. With its durable engine, you can really push it which makes it fun. Has original clutch and brake rotors which still work like new. All I had to replace was a left front and left rearbushing on the sway bar

MT Reliable! MPG: I went 526 miles on a single tank on a road trip. That is with an after market air intake. However, I still had about 2 gallons in the tank. Engine: Surprisingly durable. It has had no faults in 160k miles. When vtec kicks in at around 2,500 rpms (you can hear the change w/ aftermarket intake) you can hear a pleasant throaty sound which I enjoy. Take it to redline a lot w/o worry of what it would do to engines of other car makes. Ergonomics: The driver seat position is the best out of any competitor in my opinion. The large windshield and side windows gives you maximum visibility 360 degrees. Trunk space: You will have enough space for 4 going on vacation.

On highways it seems to get a little noisy, but it drowns out and you get used to it a little bit down the road. Some interior illumination bulbs (light for clock, fan speed indicator, and odometer) have stopped working. If you have this problem, check the fuse box to see if you blown any fuses. You can replace them for cheap. Also, the clock illumination bulb is easily replaced. Go to your local honda dealer to buy one for around $5 Even though these lighting issues were a little annoying, it was easy to fix.

SUCH A GREAT CAR!!!!!
By 01robbie

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

this car is seriously the best car i have ever owned. it just turned over 240,000 miles and only ever needed its routine maintenance done and a new clutch. i have owned this car since it was new and it still drives like it did when it was straight out of the dealership! these cars had issues with the automatics so i would stick with the 5 speed. its much funner anyways. oh and this has been driven down back roads and dirt roads all its life, just had the allignment checked and it was totally perfect to spec! that is awsome!!!

my favorite is that it is a 5 speed and that it is still geting 32 mpg

to me personaly i would like a 6 speed and a v6 buuut this car is truely great

Transmission problems
By Pamela Meyer

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Honda - the others were reliable and I kept them serviced so they would last and they did. Except this one. The transmission is bad and needs to be replaced. The dealer won't replace it under the extended warranty of 7 years and 9 months (I don't drive a lot) but I'm still under the 109,000 mile warranty - it's whichever occurs first. I always trusted Honda's reputation for being a car that lasted a long time without major repairs until very high miles. This is the last Honda I'll ever buy. In my opinion Honda is slipping in quality.

Hate to see it go
By sandman

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife needed a new car. She test drove a few. When she drove the Accord, she had to have it. 4 yrs later, family is bigger and we get her a new Pilot. I get stuck with this (2001 lx 4dr 5spd). I gotta tell ya, I try to kill this thing every day, shifting at redline and aggressive downshifting. Always dealer serviced. I commute 50 miles a day. I drive this thing near its limits every day, and always get 31 mpg. 50/50 hwy, city. It's still as healthy as ever!

handling, steering (exactly where you put it in a corner), V-TEC !

no traction control or limited slip, weak brakes (from high speed)

Trouble free vehicle!
By Brenda

2001 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have had no problems with our Accord. It has only needed a new set of tires since we purchased it. It is very comfortable for 4 large adults and is fuel efficient. Performance with the 4 cylinder is adequate. The automatic transmission is sluggish to downshift. It handles and brakes very well. I am somewhat concerned with the amount of reviews refering to the premature failure of the automatic transmissions. Fortunately, our dealer "gave" us a 10 yr/100000mi waranty--hopefully we won't have to use it. The dealer in Kingsport is very good but you have to remind them to wash your car, update your records in your owners manual, stamp your 5 oil changes get the sixth one free card.

Logical interior controls, bolted on hubcaps, comfortable seats.

Improved performance from the automatic transmission. A truck button on the keyless entry. Stereo buttons on the steering wheel would be nice.