Used 2001 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great looking, reliable, but boring car.
By Oleg

2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought mine 5 months ago and even though I find its reliability quite impressive, I still can't figure out why this car was made: It's a sporty looking coupe, but it was never offered as a stick shift, has a very soft suspension and visually deceiving configuration - its long body suggests RWD but being a Honda it never came as such. AWD was never offered in US either. Other than that - the J30A1 motor provides great fuel economy for a V6, the ride is smooth and comfortable, and most things in the interior are conveniently located and make sense.

Favorite Features

Looks. That's the first for sure. Reliable engine, 6-disk changer AND a cassette deck, leather interior, power seats, and a surprisingly effective TCS switch. Stable on the road. Bigger wheels than the 4-cyl model. Nice rims.

Suggested Improvements

Boring Drive. One thing it needs the most is a stick shift. Honda realized this and took care of it with the next generation model. Tighter suspension, perhaps, and maybe an optional 4WD system would fill the loopholes in this model. Also the headlights seem a bit too dim.

Trans Sucks
By manoh

2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car by believing all the reviews and got dashed my head. With in one week of buying the Honda Accord EX V6 my transmission started giving problem. It got started slipping and engine light blinks and D4 light started blinking. Took it to mechanic and he told that need to rebuild transmission which could be $2000. If you still would like to go for this car , you are great!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Honda knows this problem so need to given warranty replacement irrespective of mileage limitaitons.

Owned for 13 years and counting...
By Pat

2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2002 with 35,000 mils on it. I just hit 273,000 miles and this baby is still going strong. The wheel wells are starting to get body rot, but I have nothing negative to say about this car.

EGR Valve problems
By sg15

2001 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan w/ABS and Side Airbags (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I like the way the car drives. I would have given better ratings if it weren't for a couple of reliability issues: 1) The EGR valve warning has been a recurring problem. The first time at 74K miles I did not know Honda had a TSB to replace it and replace a tube with a wider tube. I got the valve replaced at a repair chain. Through its TSB Honda increased its warranty to 80K miles. Now, the EGR valve warning is back at 87K miles. Honda refuses to cover this under warranty. There is a lot of discussion about this problem on the web. Clearly there is a problem with Honda's EGR valves. I think Honda should stand by its products. I don't understand why number of years matters for this.

Suggested Improvements

Stand by your products un-conditionally when you know there is a problem with some components. E.g., (1) EGR valve. (2) wheel bearings

Excellent
By zdoyle1

2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2001 Accord Ex-L V6 with 218k miles. I tend to be quite hard on this car but it doesn't seem to mind. I have owned it for 5 years now with no major issues- I did have the timing belt replaced around 175k miles and a new hole drilled for the oil pan around 215k miles. I still average 25 mpg around town! Anyone who rides in my car is always surprised to learn how high the mileage is. This car has made me loyal to Honda and I will never understand why people would choose to own anything of lesser quality.

Favorite Features

Leather Quality- 218k miles and no rips or major wear- seats still look and feel very nice! Acceleration- the V6 is very peppy and loves to rev. Makes a nice sound and is way faster than it needs to be- extremely fun to drive!