Used 2001 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Grandma car with only 79,000
By yohahn_bravo

2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the acceleration of the 6 cylinder. When the v-tec kicks in it really pulls. The car makes a whirring sound until 3,400 when it starts to sound angry. This engine is strong and responsive at all speeds. Passing power is exceptional and the car never feels breathless even when floored. The seats are comfortable for me and everything is within reach. My only complaint is the lack of hip room. I used to have a maxima which was huge, I was a bit spoiled with space. I realize this and the Odyssey define a marginal Honda transmission but I have never felt a slip or rough shift so far and praying for 180k out of the transmission. I do mostly highway driving so the 4 speed doesn't always have

six cylinder engine

transmission issues, decrease wind noise and increase driver side interior room.

Owned for 13 years and counting...
By Pat

2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2002 with 35,000 mils on it. I just hit 273,000 miles and this baby is still going strong. The wheel wells are starting to get body rot, but I have nothing negative to say about this car.

EGR Valve problems
By sg15

2001 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan w/ABS and Side Airbags (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I like the way the car drives. I would have given better ratings if it weren't for a couple of reliability issues: 1) The EGR valve warning has been a recurring problem. The first time at 74K miles I did not know Honda had a TSB to replace it and replace a tube with a wider tube. I got the valve replaced at a repair chain. Through its TSB Honda increased its warranty to 80K miles. Now, the EGR valve warning is back at 87K miles. Honda refuses to cover this under warranty. There is a lot of discussion about this problem on the web. Clearly there is a problem with Honda's EGR valves. I think Honda should stand by its products. I don't understand why number of years matters for this.

Stand by your products un-conditionally when you know there is a problem with some components. E.g., (1) EGR valve. (2) wheel bearings

Excellent
By zdoyle1

2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2001 Accord Ex-L V6 with 218k miles. I tend to be quite hard on this car but it doesn't seem to mind. I have owned it for 5 years now with no major issues- I did have the timing belt replaced around 175k miles and a new hole drilled for the oil pan around 215k miles. I still average 25 mpg around town! Anyone who rides in my car is always surprised to learn how high the mileage is. This car has made me loyal to Honda and I will never understand why people would choose to own anything of lesser quality.

Leather Quality- 218k miles and no rips or major wear- seats still look and feel very nice! Acceleration- the V6 is very peppy and loves to rev. Makes a nice sound and is way faster than it needs to be- extremely fun to drive!

Excellent car in terms of reliability and performance.
By pcast99

2001 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Accord EX 2.3 Vtec with 176,000 miles and it still runs like it did thirteen years ago. It is my second car, and by all means it is a godsend compared to what I owned before. This car starts up, drives straight as an arrow and shifts without hesitation. And for being as old as it is and spending it's life in Ohio and it's winters it has hardly any rust on it. The interior is fairly roomy and comfy for what it is. Don't get why some say it's stiff on the highway it feels fine to me. As looks go it's pretty bland, so don't expect any eye catching around town. It's also a bit pricy, so if you look into getting one make sure it's in tip top shape.

-The rust-proof undercoating it has really holds up over time if you live where salt is commonplace in the winter. -Very strong reliability, it's never left me stranded. I've seen these go over 300k with original motor's and tranny's. -The A/C still blows ice cold after thirteen years. -Gets good gas mileage on the highway, i can no, joke, get well over 400 miles on a full tank on the freeway. -It's cheap to fix up and easier than others as well. -Has high re-sale value if you look into fixing one up.

-The four cylinder model has very little power, so if speed is your game this isn't the car for you. -It also gets rather sub par to average mpg's in the city, expect only about 300 total on a full tank around town. -As I mentioned above the styling is bland so don't expect whistle's and snap shots when driving. -This car is also priced high, which if mechanically sound isn't much an issue but be careful and look closely is buying one of these.