2000 Honda Accord -- Dependable? :/
By danielmchick on
2000 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan
The transmission is terrible in this car. I mean, absolutely terrible. Honda's claim at reliability is totally false-especially with this year model range. I purchased the car two years ago, and I'm very lucky I got that much out of it. I had the standard transmission failure that most experience: first gear shifts hard when going to second. Finally, the car went into fourth gear and stayed there; it wouldn't shift down unless I used the gear shifter; even then I only had access to first and second gear. Cost to fix it? $1500. Even then the repairman said the car would go through the same process three or so years from then because of an inherent defect in the design. Don't buy this car.
Favorite Features
Sporty feel, tight handling even ten years after initial purchase, great gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
TRANSMISSION.
By hondatoyota2
on 03/08/11 22:47 PM (PST)

An amazing number of my friends own this car, myself included, and it is either the best car ever, or the transmission goes out. I helped my cousin pick out her Accord after having a year or two in the seat of my own 2000 Accord Coupe, and I thought her transmission felt tighter than mine... Except hers went out within a few months and mine never has. Luckily, she got the transmission at the dealership discount of something like $1500. I am at 189000 as of now and have replaced nothing except tires, brakes, timing belt, and a few bulbs. I love my car, and so do all of my friends.

By gjken
on 06/25/11 06:56 AM (PDT)

I never knew of anyone having a problem with a standard transmission. I know that the automatic's have problem's, but never standard's. I personally have 150K on mine and never had the gearbox problem.