Used 2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

150K and still drives like new
By gjken

2000 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 2000 and it is definately without question the best car that I have ever owned. The most expensive part of owning this car is tire replacement. I am currently on my 4th set. I do oil changes at 3K, changed out the O2 sensor's at 100K, replaced the battery twice, timing belt and F/R brakes at 105K, had refrigerant added at 105K, flushed the antifreeze twice, brake fluid changed three times, transmission oil changed 3 times (manual 5 speed), recently had a ball joint replaced. Replaced the wires/plugs at 105K. Currently have 150K on this car and expect that it will easily go another 150K without any major problems.

Favorite Features

Reliability, handing, and decent performance for a 4 banger. I also find the car ergonomic.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that I can think of.

93K and a New Transmission
By Kelly

2000 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

After my 04 Civic was totaled I needed a cheap car reliable car. I found my hail damaged Y2K Accord with only 89K. Three months and 4K miles later, I need a new transmission. I called Honda Customer Service and they said that I was out of luck but I could TRY to get financial assistance IF I take it to a Honda dealership. Pay $3500 for a new transmission and MAYBE you'll pay me some back? No Thanks! Also another code was thrown with the bad transmission code (P1164 bad oxygen sensor) due to some research online it could mean that the ECM needs to be replaced (the car's computer which would cost $800). Good car other than that (haha). Hope it makes it to 150K.

Favorite Features

Rides smoother than my Civic did! Comfy inside. Has a sweet cassette deck.

Suggested Improvements

Under 100K there is NO reason that the transmission should be replaced at all. Pay for it to be replaced, Honda! Know when to Recall!

Ten years with my 2000 Accord EX
By dexter

2000 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for 10 years, traded in for a 2011 Accord for the newer safety features. However, this is an amazing car. Never had a single mechanical problem with the car, the paint is still in excellent condition and the drivetrain will undoubtedly last another 10 - 15 years. I have nothing but positive memories of this car. The shifter is a joy to use. The steering is so precise that you can place this car in a turn, even at the limits of adhesion, with complete accuracy. My 2000 Accord is an admirable vehicle which hasn't lost an ounce of its original quality, performance or reliability over the past 10 years.

Favorite Features

Build quality, slick shifting manual transmission, precise steering.

Best Car I've Ever Had
By Cyd

2000 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Bought used EX w/ 36K miles. Replaced transmission at 67K under class action suit. Since the transmission work, only oil changes and tires needed for the past six years. Most reliable car ever! Rides like a dream and at 10 years old, still accelerates at 80MPH. Husband drives '97 Accord, son drives '90 Civic. Daughter has P-O-S GM car that proved American cars lack quality and longevity. Can't say enough about Honda quality.

Favorite Features

Moves well. Handles well. Leather has withstood southern heat very well.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission issues. Other than that, the Honda Accord is simply perfection.

Transmission at 70K?
By Steve

2000 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Bought used Accord EX with 41K. Our transmission failed at 70K but I reported issues much earlier. Honda America was rude and irresponsible about transmission failure. They refused to own up and replace my transmission despite the class action suit requiring them to do so. Honda quality is far overrated. Parts and labor are very expensive also. Ride is not great on 2000 and seems worse in newer Accords. Interior is very nice although seats are not comfortable on long rides. Hope new transmission makes it to 150K. Honda has had a lot of issues with transmissions on Accord, Civic, and Odyssey. Like I said, much overrated for quality. Daughter's 99 Accord was an absolute money pit.

Favorite Features

Fairly nice interior. Newer Accords have gone plastic. Give me a break. Handles and performs acceptably.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now but fuel economy is poor for a small 4-cylinder vehicle. More supportive seats. Honda America needs to treat its customers better. They remain arrogant and uncaring about their customers. Forget Honda.