Used 2000 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Stay away from this one
By Matthew Hamann

2000 Honda Accord Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

While Accords are typically reliable cars, they seem to have frequent transmission problems. Unless you find one of these for dirt cheap (including an already rebuilt transmission), I suggest looking for a different car entirely. My 2000 Accord got to about 130,000 and suddenly developed severe transmission issues. It's now approaching 140,000 and I'm still driving it 20+ miles to work every day, but every day I get in, I wonder if it will make it home. I asked Honda for some good-will in helping me fix the transmission (even a discount would've been fine!) since these cars are known for their transmission woes, but they flatly declined. I don't see myself buying another Honda.

Favorite Features

Gets from point A to point B. Handles well. Otherwise, there's not much else to love.

Suggested Improvements

There are no LATCH-equipped seats, so this is not a good car for those with infants and small children. Monetary transmission-fixing assistance should be offered by Honda.

I Love My Car. 15 Years in the Family and No Issues
By kobiewan

2000 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Despite these accords having transmission failures through the roof, the point it that they are very reliable cars. Most of the issues emerged at 70-100k miles, which is why Honda extended the warranty on the drivetrain. My automatic is at 173k miles on the original transmission. Yes I did get lucky. I have been through a few axles, a radiator, and a power steering pump and 3 timing belts. However, with routine maintenance and possibly one transmission rebuild for some of you these cars will last a long time. Just remember, if you get a good quality rebuild the transmission should last longer than the original. Don't be cheap or go to aamco. Do your research.

Favorite Features

The handling is great. Excellent Reliability. High end torque helps on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger transmissions. Car is slightly clumsy on highways.

Big Upgrade from my 2001 Sebring
By kovacic_frank

2000 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

Ive had the car for about a week now after going through tooth and nail failure with the 2001 Chryslar Sebring. The seats are very comfortable in the EX and the controls make sense where their placed. The back bar in the seat for extra support where you need it is great and the handling is very smooth if you drive considerate. My car has 140k miles on it when i got it and some where and tear are showing with the looseness of the accelerator, and the dashboard lights are flickering on and off from time to time. Gas is alright but im not getting what I thought id get from a Honda. Still a much bigger upgrade from other Sedans of that era. Also no Transmissions issues so far unlike 2002s.

Favorite Features

The Handling, The big open front window, front lights are light up road well, love the bar in the seat for extra comfert, double side armrest for extra stuff. V6 power is something nice for handling hills and getting on freeway.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger Accelerator pedal. Have the rear view mirror wider for seeing the backroad. getting better fuel economy out of a Honda, its kinda one of the things their known for and im getting very similar gas economy from my old Sebring so thats disheartening. Extear is a little bland but if you like that simple Early 2000s sedan look, the Accord is for you.

My First Honda.. made me to buy two more Hondas
By albertjohnn

2000 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this baby in 2005 for $10K when it was on 35K miles. Never had any problem. Only regular oil changes and maintenance. Changed timing belt at 90K and now its ready for 120K servicing. Have been getting an average of 25MPG. This car made me to buy two more Honda cars. Very reliable beast to depend on.

Supercommuter!
By aimgargiulo

2000 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2000 Honda with 133,000 miles from a man who commuted about 100 miles round trip to work. He took really good care of it, and I purchased it for a steal price of $3,300. Three years later, I have a 150 mile round trip commute to school, and she's up to 216,000 miles with no signs of slowing down! It's passed inspection every time (I do regular maintenance), and it's never left me stranded at all except for when the clutch master cylinder went at 200,000-ish miles... but am I really going to complain about that?! I just get in and go with nothing but gas and a monthly oil change... it's also a beast in the snow with studded snow tires! What more could a northern commuter want?

Favorite Features

Cold A/C, hot heat, and it doesn't break. I really like my spoiler, too. There aren't too many frills with my car, but it gets the job done and I like it as a whole for the purpose it has... not "frills."

Suggested Improvements

It's a little late now.. the car's 13 years old... not like it needed improvements anyway!