Used 2000 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

My favorite car!
By larien

2000 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new in February 2000. The problems I have had: an electrical relay went out so the engine cooling fans stayed on, had to replace alternator, water pump and oil pump. This Accord has been super reliable, fun to drive and wonderful to look at! I am about to buy a new Honda but I will not sell this one. It is my favorite of all 6 Honda cars that I have owned. I have around 200,000 miles on this car and still do not worry about getting to where I am going. This was a great purchase. Love this car!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and very reliable. Gas mileage is not bad for a V6. It is a beautiful car.

Stay away from this one
By Matthew Hamann

2000 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan

While Accords are typically reliable cars, they seem to have frequent transmission problems. Unless you find one of these for dirt cheap (including an already rebuilt transmission), I suggest looking for a different car entirely. My 2000 Accord got to about 130,000 and suddenly developed severe transmission issues. It's now approaching 140,000 and I'm still driving it 20+ miles to work every day, but every day I get in, I wonder if it will make it home. I asked Honda for some good-will in helping me fix the transmission (even a discount would've been fine!) since these cars are known for their transmission woes, but they flatly declined. I don't see myself buying another Honda.

Favorite Features

Gets from point A to point B. Handles well. Otherwise, there's not much else to love.

Suggested Improvements

There are no LATCH-equipped seats, so this is not a good car for those with infants and small children. Monetary transmission-fixing assistance should be offered by Honda.

I Love My Car. 15 Years in the Family and No Issues
By kobiewan

2000 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Despite these accords having transmission failures through the roof, the point it that they are very reliable cars. Most of the issues emerged at 70-100k miles, which is why Honda extended the warranty on the drivetrain. My automatic is at 173k miles on the original transmission. Yes I did get lucky. I have been through a few axles, a radiator, and a power steering pump and 3 timing belts. However, with routine maintenance and possibly one transmission rebuild for some of you these cars will last a long time. Just remember, if you get a good quality rebuild the transmission should last longer than the original. Don't be cheap or go to aamco. Do your research.

Favorite Features

The handling is great. Excellent Reliability. High end torque helps on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger transmissions. Car is slightly clumsy on highways.

Love my baby!
By yori2929

2000 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 Honda Accord Coupe from an auction dealer. Within a couple of months, the transmission become faulty. I figured I'd still use my car till the transmission gave in. I even took him to the Honda service center near my home and they immediately diagnosed the transmission giving it 6 months worth of use. Here I am, over a year after Honda diagnosed the death of my Accord and he's still running. No check engine light or anything related. I do take care of him and don't abuse it by sticking the pedal to the floor, though in Georgia it is known to go way higher than the speed limit. Can't say enough great things about my baby Accord. Still very dependable being a 14 yr old car.

Big Upgrade from my 2001 Sebring
By kovacic_frank

2000 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Ive had the car for about a week now after going through tooth and nail failure with the 2001 Chryslar Sebring. The seats are very comfortable in the EX and the controls make sense where their placed. The back bar in the seat for extra support where you need it is great and the handling is very smooth if you drive considerate. My car has 140k miles on it when i got it and some where and tear are showing with the looseness of the accelerator, and the dashboard lights are flickering on and off from time to time. Gas is alright but im not getting what I thought id get from a Honda. Still a much bigger upgrade from other Sedans of that era. Also no Transmissions issues so far unlike 2002s.

Favorite Features

The Handling, The big open front window, front lights are light up road well, love the bar in the seat for extra comfert, double side armrest for extra stuff. V6 power is something nice for handling hills and getting on freeway.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger Accelerator pedal. Have the rear view mirror wider for seeing the backroad. getting better fuel economy out of a Honda, its kinda one of the things their known for and im getting very similar gas economy from my old Sebring so thats disheartening. Extear is a little bland but if you like that simple Early 2000s sedan look, the Accord is for you.