Used 1999 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

In my opinion - The best car ever built.
By Corey In ATL

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I have had the car a total of 10 years this fall. I have had the brakes replaced 2 times since I bought the car, I've had the timing belt changed on its scheduled 125,000 mile maintenance, the alternator had to be replaced at 40,000 because of the faulty manufacturer (Honda did not warranty this part.). I have had a lot of worry free driving for many years. I am in the market for a new car but i will be keeping my Honda for as long as it has wheels. I drive this vehicle 500+ miles to Arkansas from Georgia every other month and have felt very confident that I will arrive safely in a car with over 150,000 miles and counting. I am very pleased with this car.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the looks. I see other Accord Coupes pass me on the street and notice that is a great looking car, it was designed to perfection from the outside. The overhangs aren't too low that they drag, the rims are clean and built well the lines and curves are worth mentioning too

Suggested Improvements

I don't know if they could improve on this car. It's already a great car. Something I'd like to see from Honda as a whole is a longer Warranty. Just to back the fact that they are the quality leaders in the industry.

1999 Honda Accord EX- Do not buy
By Paul

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased a 1999 Honda Accord EX under the belief that Hondas were reliable. The car has 83K miles and the transmission slips and oil is leaking into the coolant. I will probably have to replace the engine and transmission. I have contacted Honda who are unwilling to help out. This is my third and last Honda. I mention this issue to others so they do not go through a similar experience.

Suggested Improvements

Honda will not admit that they have a problem with their transmissions after multiple calls to Honda Corporate Customer Service. I strongly suggest not to buy this vehicle.

A Cracked Engine Head at 107,000 Miles!
By Linda

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love(d) my Accord EX 4 dr. sedan.It was the funnest car I ever drove! It cornered great,it was peppy, reliable. I had the recommended timing belt maintenance done at 105,000 miles, also an oxygen sensor blew then too. Spent $1,000 on that preventive maintenance, only to have my engine head crack at 107,000 miles! I had no warning, no difference driving, but oil and antifreeze were mixing and the liquid looked like mud!! The pressure blew and popped a radiator hose just 4 months later. Cracked engine &I need a used engine put in for $2750, NOT! Needless to say, I am very disappointed and plan to write Honda to demand an answer as to why this would happen on their #1 product-cars

Favorite Features

Loved the cornering! Nothing can compare! Just a fun car to drive and I had a 4 cyl and could accelerate like a 6 cylinder! Wide, big windshield! Loved it!

Research Honda's...Transmission problem
By Honda99

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the vehicle at 84,000 and thought that Honda goes forever. Did regular service at 85,000. Water pump, timing belt, drive belts, a/c belts, spark plugs, transmission fluid, pretty much a good tune up. But to my surprise I noticed and was told by my mech. that I should have researched before buying this accord as it has manufacturing problems with Transmission. It's not even 100K and the transmission is slipping. When you take off, it hesitates from gear 1 to 2. And when you stop, it gives a little jerk before stopping. This is known issue with Honda (98-02). So, research before you buy it.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

Still purring!
By Robert

1999 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

Well, now what a surprise the ole-girl has 150k on her and looks and drives like new. Do what the maintenace schedule says use only Honda parts! This car has been a delight to me and my wife now for eight years! No mechanical failures only one slightly costly driver side door mechanism hickup. A little pin broke and locked the door permanently. It was real interesting taking the door panel off and cutting the locking mechanism out with a dremel. Total fluke nobodies fault. 32 gpm highway which is most of our driving. Pushes snow with quality snow tires. Love stick shift, changed out the cloth for leather heated for $1400, would do it again. Going to drive her till she dies!

Favorite Features

Newly added custom leather seats, spend a few dollars and get the K&M air filter huge difference, also added the Tornado seems to help on in-town fuel mpg. Controls easy to read at night, body style very sharp. Wife feels very safe in foul weather. We will own a new Honda after this one dies!

Suggested Improvements

LX seats in 99 were a little stiff for me, now I customed the interior at 140k and had them add just a little more cushion. Paint mine is white and for some reason it doesn't seem to have enough mil-thickness. Chips easy on the hood, keep it waxed it pays. A lot of places to catch salt wash often