Used 1999 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

1999 Honda Accord
By Bob Kilmon

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car for 8 years now, and I'm gonna trade in for a Lexus. Overall, I think this is a pretty reliable car except for the fact that most Accords I've see have a transmission problem. However, the design is really nice, and fuel economy is great, but I would recommend researching Honda's transmission problems (98-03) before buying this car. We've had our transmission fixed twice, which cost 7k, so we decided to trade in.

Leather is really comfortable, nice design and good fuel eco.

Fix your transmission problems~although I think that the newer models have been improved.

Don't Believe the Hype!
By AJ Foster

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2nd accord over 3 years ago with 90k miles on it. My first '92 accord had nearly 200k and the only problem was w/ the cruise control and a rough transmission. My '99 has a faulty transmission that's slipping as well, the lights in my dash dim periodically, cruise control doesn't work AT ALL, the auto locks in my rear doors are now manual, I need new ball joints, i had to purchase an extended warranty for my battery b/c it continuously dies. I must admit that as I am approaching 175k, that car still starts without a glitch, but the "quality" that Honda is expected to have mastered is only hype. This is the 4th Honda my family has had, and the 4th one with transmission issues.

radio controls on the dash, lasting style, handling.

TRANSMISSION, road/wind noise, lower bucket seats (I'm 5'11" and even at the lowest setting, I still feel like my heads touching the ceiling)

My '99 Accord V6 Coupe
By Tim

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

My family has owned many Hondas, all of which have been very low maintaining vehicles, except for a big problem in my '99 transmission. The car used to be my moms. She had to replace the tranny at just below 100,000. Very disappointing coming from Honda, one of the most reliable manufacturers out there and way above German and American made cars. Now at almost 170,000 miles and up to that I've been noticing the transmission problems again, and just today it went totally out of gear, and then back in after I jabbed the gas a few times about three seconds later. Not been a fun experience driving in fear with this car... possible my driving habits don't help it either.

It's looks, I have the factory body kit and the fog lights, and I love the engine, and for it being almost ten years old, it's a fairly impressive V6 for it's age. To add to the Review above... I'd definitely own another Honda, just not one from the years 98- 02 as many have had my same problems.

Tranny

In my opinion - The best car ever built.
By Corey In ATL

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I have had the car a total of 10 years this fall. I have had the brakes replaced 2 times since I bought the car, I've had the timing belt changed on its scheduled 125,000 mile maintenance, the alternator had to be replaced at 40,000 because of the faulty manufacturer (Honda did not warranty this part.). I have had a lot of worry free driving for many years. I am in the market for a new car but i will be keeping my Honda for as long as it has wheels. I drive this vehicle 500+ miles to Arkansas from Georgia every other month and have felt very confident that I will arrive safely in a car with over 150,000 miles and counting. I am very pleased with this car.

My favorite features are the looks. I see other Accord Coupes pass me on the street and notice that is a great looking car, it was designed to perfection from the outside. The overhangs aren't too low that they drag, the rims are clean and built well the lines and curves are worth mentioning too

I don't know if they could improve on this car. It's already a great car. Something I'd like to see from Honda as a whole is a longer Warranty. Just to back the fact that they are the quality leaders in the industry.

1999 Honda Accord EX- Do not buy
By Paul

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased a 1999 Honda Accord EX under the belief that Hondas were reliable. The car has 83K miles and the transmission slips and oil is leaking into the coolant. I will probably have to replace the engine and transmission. I have contacted Honda who are unwilling to help out. This is my third and last Honda. I mention this issue to others so they do not go through a similar experience.

Honda will not admit that they have a problem with their transmissions after multiple calls to Honda Corporate Customer Service. I strongly suggest not to buy this vehicle.