Used 1999 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

185K and still going
By Meyer

1999 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Best build quality of any vehicle hands down. Change the oil every 5k and no problems. 1 timing belt at 100K, and new ac compressor. Just keeps going and going.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

None

Great Car!
By Dan

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My parents purchased this vehicle new in August 1999, and it became mine in summer 2008, with 145K on the ticker. It now has 155K and has been dead reliable. Needed a clutch at 118K, ball joints and an ignition a year ago, and various wear items. Only non-wear items that have gone are the backlight for the clock, the left rear window switch in that door (still works from driver's door), and the green LED in the main cruise control switch. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat but will hold onto this one for a while, until I can afford a six-speed Acura TL in a few years.

Favorite Features

Peppy VTEC engine, slick manual transmission, very enjoyable to drive, ergonomically perfect, A/C's never given out, great seats, kickin' stereo for a factory system (and this is for the LX's 4 speaker unit), bulletproof quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Folding rear seat doesn't split unless you get the coupe, ABS only available on LX if you get automatic (if I bought the car new, it'd have been a deal breaker), keyless entry would've been nice on the LX, standard tires stink (loud and no grip), could be a little quieter. Otherwise, no gripes!

Nothing is perfect-Great basic vehicle
By Beppie

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I have 175K on my 1999 Honda Accord. I am thinking of purchasing another car, but it would only be for fun. My car runs like a new car. I could drive to the moon and back with confidence. I did have to replace the transmission at 90K and the ball joints at 30K. However, Honda covered these expenses and were very apologetic to me. The dealer gave me a loaner car. Keep up the maintenance with an oil change every 3000 miles.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Safe ride in the winter. Safe winter handling.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission problems, ball joint problems, expensive parts when not covered by warranty, lights burning out on clock, dashboard

It's Alive!!!
By Dave S.

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new nearly ten years ago. It's my third Honda and by far the one I've owned for the longest. This car is a rock! I have over 215,000 miles on it and it still runs fantastic. The body and interior are in great shape, very solid. I'm shooting for 300k miles before I consider buying a new one.

Favorite Features

Everything. Great car!

Suggested Improvements

The annoying problem with the "emissions" systems. The check engine light goes off - take it to Honda - emissions problem - $330. This has happened 3 times. I've been ignoring the check engine light for the last 70K miles! Heheheh...

Ain't No BMW
By Fudbutter

1999 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This car was delivered new in July 1999. After 9 years and 139,000 miles it has proved to be reliable to get us from point A to point B consistently, but over that time, the cruise control conked out and she leaks oil (About a quart a fill up) despite diligent maintenance. The body has a bit of rust and many nasty door dings. Other than that, no major issues. Brakes and timing belt have already been replaced but tranny has showed no issues. It is used as a the car to get us to the city, airports or anyplace we would be uncomfortable taking our precious roadster. All in all, it hasn't been the "bulletproof" transportation that it was supposed to be, but it has never left us stranded.

Favorite Features

Basic transportation. Park it anywhere. Makes our other car seem faster and much more fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

'99 car that has been improved in 3 subsequent generations but is now way too big