1999 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

1999 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
1999 Honda Accord
By Bob Kilmon on 08/03/08 12:59 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car for 8 years now, and I'm gonna trade in for a Lexus. Overall, I think this is a pretty reliable car except for the fact that most Accords I've see have a transmission problem. However, the design is really nice, and fuel economy is great, but I would recommend researching Honda's transmission problems (98-03) before buying this car. We've had our transmission fixed twice, which cost 7k, so we decided to trade in.

Don't Believe the Hype!
By AJ Foster on 05/29/08 09:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2nd accord over 3 years ago with 90k miles on it. My first '92 accord had nearly 200k and the only problem was w/ the cruise control and a rough transmission. My '99 has a faulty transmission that's slipping as well, the lights in my dash dim periodically, cruise control doesn't work AT ALL, the auto locks in my rear doors are now manual, I need new ball joints, i had to purchase an extended warranty for my battery b/c it continuously dies. I must admit that as I am approaching 175k, that car still starts without a glitch, but the "quality" that Honda is expected to have mastered is only hype. This is the 4th Honda my family has had, and the 4th one with transmission issues.

1999 Honda Accord EX- Do not buy
By Paul on 04/05/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased a 1999 Honda Accord EX under the belief that Hondas were reliable. The car has 83K miles and the transmission slips and oil is leaking into the coolant. I will probably have to replace the engine and transmission. I have contacted Honda who are unwilling to help out. This is my third and last Honda. I mention this issue to others so they do not go through a similar experience.

A Cracked Engine Head at 107,000 Miles!
By Linda on 03/26/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love(d) my Accord EX 4 dr. sedan.It was the funnest car I ever drove! It cornered great,it was peppy, reliable. I had the recommended timing belt maintenance done at 105,000 miles, also an oxygen sensor blew then too. Spent $1,000 on that preventive maintenance, only to have my engine head crack at 107,000 miles! I had no warning, no difference driving, but oil and antifreeze were mixing and the liquid looked like mud!! The pressure blew and popped a radiator hose just 4 months later. Cracked engine &I need a used engine put in for $2750, NOT! Needless to say, I am very disappointed and plan to write Honda to demand an answer as to why this would happen on their #1 product-cars

Research Honda's...Transmission problem
By Honda99 on 03/24/08 14:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the vehicle at 84,000 and thought that Honda goes forever. Did regular service at 85,000. Water pump, timing belt, drive belts, a/c belts, spark plugs, transmission fluid, pretty much a good tune up. But to my surprise I noticed and was told by my mech. that I should have researched before buying this accord as it has manufacturing problems with Transmission. It's not even 100K and the transmission is slipping. When you take off, it hesitates from gear 1 to 2. And when you stop, it gives a little jerk before stopping. This is known issue with Honda (98-02). So, research before you buy it.

One of the world's most reliable cars
By Jeff on 11/13/07 13:48 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

1999 4i 5MT Accord LX manufactured in Japan (Saitama, IIRC). The only thing that's broken in 9 years is the windshield. It's for all intents as- new, and gets 32ish mpg in mixed driving, which makes it tough to trade in for something "better". As a used vehicle, a well-maintained Accord is about as good as it gets.

Honda outperforms similar Japanese Maker
By CJ on 10/01/07 13:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned a model year Nissan Altima, a Toyota Camry V6 and the Honda Accord. While I thought the Camry would be my favorite (the Altima was a disaster and traded within one year) after 4 years and 107,000 miles it was in need of serious mechanical attention and was traded. The Accord, however has 137,000 miles and has been the most reliable and required the least maintenance. In fact, it's only been in the shop twice over these past 8 years, once for ignition and once for clutch (just recently).

Unbeatable reliability
By amchev on 06/26/07 09:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in January of 1999. In that time I've only done scheduled maintenance except for replacing the battery. 100% reliable transportation, everything works just like it did the day I drove it off the lot. It's not the most powerful or sporty car on the road and the newer models get better fuel economy but Honda has proven to me that they build reliable vehicles.

Great Car
By Stacy on 03/14/07 11:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We have really enjoyed our reliable Honda. We have had a few minor electrical problems, like dash lights burning out, but, otherwise it has been great.

Japan built accords last longer!
By cer on 09/20/06 05:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

i bought my accord used, the ulev edition, which is built in japan. the transmission is only now, at 199,000 miles, is starting to slip a little, mostly due to old tranny fluid. american built hondas are the ones that are giving the company a bad rap. you can't build a japanese product outside of japan, it just won't work. won't buy another honda because they majority are built in the u.s. now, but will never rule out buying a used one after researching where the car was built.