Used 1999 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great vehicle with few problems
By Dan

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Accord since the fall of 1999 and it has performed admirably over the years. 178000 miles and only a starter and alternator for replacements with regular tuneups. Still gets 30 MPG and the ride quality is great for a car of its time period. Really could use ABS living in Minnesota winters, but you can do without if you're a confident driver.

The styling of this car has made it stand the test of time.

Great for 8 years
By New Orleans

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 15000 miles on it (basically new) - I have to say this was the best car purchase I made to this point - possibly because I had owned some lemons previously. Low maintenance, great highway performance. The V-tech engine is such a great feature - until the v-tech engine started having problems - and only a dealership could fix them. Started having tranny problems after the 8th year. I had it rebuilt and still had problems. Honda wanted between $3 & 4K to fix it - at the time it was only worth that much. Friend of mine is having tranny probs on her 2003 Accord so I am a little leery of them now. Am trading it for a Mazda 3 - we'll see how that goes.

The V-tech engine - allows you to drive low speeds in town and high speeds on highway with no shifting problems. Great interior - quality fabrics - fabric overhead never sagged.

Transmission failure at 7 & 8 years is a little soon for a car with such a strong reliability reputation and pricing.

Honda quality
By chuck

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My 1999 accord quality and reliability is so bad that I am convinced Honda is misleading the customers on their claim on reliability. Through this review, I would like to point out a flaw, either in the design or the manufacturing process, of the 1999 model year Honda Accord engine. The cylinder #3 valve melted out and blew a hole in it while driving on the highway. The mileage on the car was only about 105K. Honda dealers, and Honda H.Q. refused to honor any claims since the mileage is over 80K.

Improve the reliability of the engine.

Beyond Reliability
By John

1999 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car in 2001 because my car died "literally" at the dealership. I am so glad I picked this car. It has been the best car I have ever owned. No problems. Change the oil, put gas in, & change the tires. That's all you need to do. I have never had any problems. It even takes the abuse of my wife's driving :).

Quality, Quality, Quality... My favorite feature is the security of knowing I am driving a safe reliable car and I will not be left stranded. There are so many different cars to choose but if you need a car that will give you more then what you put in then Honda Accord would be your choice.

I would improve on the style and features but don't compromise on quality.

185K and still going
By Meyer

1999 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Best build quality of any vehicle hands down. Change the oil every 5k and no problems. 1 timing belt at 100K, and new ac compressor. Just keeps going and going.

None